Exclude an account's balance on side bar while still having it remain in sidebar (34 Legacy Votes)

Jeff DixonJeff Dixon Member
edited November 2019 in Display/UI (Mac)
[EDIT Original title: 
How do you exclude an account from Net Worth, but still show account details on Home page in Quicken 2017 for Mac? 

I want to exclude a joint account from my net worth calculation on the Quicken home page [sidebar] but still show the value of the account on my home page [sidebar].  This is for Quicken for Mac 2017 version.

NOTE TO DEVELOPERS:
The actual VOTE count for this IDEA is really 15 higher!
This is due to failed merges of IDEA threads here on GetSat.
These VOTE counts are from unique votes from the following 2 IDEA threads:
Tagged:
2 votes

Planned · Last Updated

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This is not really possible in QM2017.

I am going to assume you are talking about the Sidebar, because the actual Home page (the one you get to by clicking the Home tab in the blue bar) does not show account values. The Home page only shows spending information (as well as bill reminders and budget info).

You can hide an account in the sidebar (menu Accounts > Hide & Show Accounts), and you can have the hidden account still show up in reports. But if you hide the account in the sidebar, you will not see its value there. And you will not have access to its register. And its value will be excluded from the Net Worth displayed at the bottom of the sidebar, which seems to be what you're asking for.

One possible workaround is to create a couple of customized Net Worth reports, one including the account and one excluding the account. To do this, select the Net Worth Over Time report from the Reports tab. Click the Customize button and select the accounts you want. If you are interested in only the current value, set the date field to Month to Date. Then check the Save as Custom Report box at the bottom and give the report a name.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jeff DixonJeff Dixon Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes, you are correct I was referring tot he sidebar.  Very unfortunate that you cannot exempt what you want from the net worth at the bottom.  You used to be able to do this in Quicken for Windows but I migrated to a Mac and have found that Quicken is not as good on a Mac as it is on Windows.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Yes, you are correct I was referring tot he sidebar.  Very unfortunate that you cannot exempt what you want from the net worth at the bottom.  You used to be able to do this in Quicken for Windows but I migrated to a Mac and have found that Quicken is not as good on a Mac as it is on Windows.

You can add your VOTE to Exclude an account's balance on side bar while still having it remain in sidebar.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:

• Jim LeslieJim Leslie Member
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Tag investments as "Not Included in Totals" as with Windows version.

I would love to see you allow investments (brokerage) accounts to be tagged as not included in totals for net worth in the left side panel. This is possible with the windows version and makes handling GST, 529, and children's accounts much simpler. Otherwise, I'm constantly making accounts visible and not visible in the sidebar.
  • edited November 2019

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Tag investments as "Not Included in Totals" as with Windows version.

I would love to see you allow investments (brokerage) accounts to be tagged as not included in totals for net worth in the left side panel. This is possible with the windows version and makes handling GST, 529, and children's accounts much simpler. Otherwise, I'm constantly making accounts visible and not visible in the sidebar.

Go to Reports > Net Worth > Customize...then select the accounts you want included and the time frame you want to see (I usually have This Year or Past 12 Months selected.

BOOM...you have your net worth WITHOUT your investment accounts, if you like.

Note...you can also save this report.

I have three Net Worth reports saved...Complete Net Worth, Net Worth without investments and Net Worth with ONLY my investment accounts (great for seeing how my portfolio has changed over time).  
  • PatPat Member
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request: Exclude account in side bar balance.

In the Intuit version of Quicken for Windows, 2014, one could mark an account so its balance was not included in the sidebar balance totals, but the account was still visible and online transactions were downloaded. I used this feature to monitor accounts that I didn't want to include in the sidebar balances. The hide feature in my Quicken for Mac excluded the account from the sidebar balance, but is not visible and does not download online transactions, not what I'm after.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    NOTE TO DEVELOPERS:
    The actual VOTE count for this IDEA is really 15 higher!
    This is due to failed merges of IDEA threads here on GetSat.
    These VOTE counts are from unique votes from the following 2 IDEA threads:

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:

• Please update Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Mac so account totals can be separated in the sidebar, like I was able to do in QD 2017. 
  • cklee88cklee88 Member ✭✭
    I see the requested feature is marked as "Planned" with last update on March 8. When will this feature be available please?
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @cklee88 Quicken almost never announces when specific features will appear. In fact, having some ideas marked "planned" on this forum is a big step up from us never knowing what they're even thinking of doing or working on. 

Some ideas which seem simple turn out to have surprising complexity in the code. In other cases, an idea may be fairly easy to implement, but they wait until they are doing other work in the same area of the program. Sometimes an idea is planned for work in a certain time period, but programmers end up being diverted to higher-priority needs. All of which amounts to why they don't like to pre-announce something is coming and then have upset users if they run into any snags or delays. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • On the sidebar, we currently have in Quicken for Mac: All Transactions (Banking, Investing, Property & Debt). It would be a welcomed addition to add a separate section below All Transactions for accounts assigned to "Other People". Accounts in this section would not factor into any reports generated or wealth computations. These accounts would exist simply for tracking transactions in complete isolation.

Why? Parents track their kids' bank accounts and don't want those amounts factored into their overall wealth. Maybe a child's 529 should be captured here as well. Adults also frequently monitor monetary transactions for loved ones...especially elderly individuals unable to monitor their own finances.

Think of this as combining separate Quicken accounts into one loadable file simultaneously, with only limited functionality for the "Other People" accounts. It would be a welcomed feature.
    @Jim I understand your request, but I'm questioning why you don't simply have a separate Quicken data file (or files) for tracking the finances of the others you want to keep completely isolated. It's very easy to switch between different Quicken data files, and that achieves exactly what you're asking for. Many Quicken users have separate data files for finances for their kids, for aging parents, for small non-profit groups for whom they keep the books, etc.

If they implemented your idea of isolated accounts, while it would keep them out of reports for your finances, it would then be impossible if you ever wanted to generate a report for one or more of those isolated accounts.

Currently in Quicken, you can have an account that you mark as hidden from Lists and/or Reports (Hide and Show Accounts on the Accounts menu). You could hide the account you want in isolation, and make it visible when you want to enter something in it, and re-hide it. That's not super-smooth; it's just another thought about how to separate some data.

But I'd really encourage just creating a separate file for kids, parents or others. That way you can have multiple accounts, search, generate reports, etc., without those things affecting your own personal finance records.
  • To maintain the ability to track/match transfers. I have savings, 529s, and investment accounts for multiple kids with routine transactions scheduled at least monthly. Furthermore, opening and closing different data files isn’t as convenient.

————————————————

Source:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-create-new-quicken-data-file

“When to use multiple files

With separate files, there is no connection between the accounts in one file and the accounts in another. There are some reasons, however, why you might want to have more than one file:
    • If you never transfer money between two sets of accounts. (You can track transfers between accounts only when they exist in the same file. If there is any chance that you will ever want to track accounts together, you should create them in a single data file because it is not possible to merge data files at a later date.)”
    Jim, are you downloading transactions or entering them manually?

If you are downloading, then if you have one or more kids in a separate data file, and they have their own accounts, you'll get all your deposits into their accounts when you open their Quicken data file and download there transactions. They're not linked to the outflow from your own checking account this way -- but if you're downloading transactions and these are separate accounts, they wouldn't download as linked transactions anyway.

Switching among different Quicken files is pretty quick, especially if you have them in your Dock or on the File > Open Recent menu.

If you're manually entering transactions, then I agree that it would be easier to enter one transfer transaction in a single file than two separate money out/money in transactions in two different files.

You might be interested that this Idea thread...

Exclude an account's balance on side bar while still having it remain in sidebar

...has been marked as "Planned" by the developers. This isn't exactly what you're proposing above, but it might accomplish most of what you want. When implemented, you'll presumably be able to have certain accounts visible but not count toward your net worth total; you can already exclude selected accounts from reports, so combined, this might meet your needs.
  • Jacobs, I understand everything you are telling me...I just disagree slightly. No offense intended - I hope none taken; I do appreciate your response. While switching Quicken files can be quick, it isn't the most efficient / consumer friendly presentation...I believe what I suggested is a more elegant solution. I concede that it may require significant coding, however, in order to safely and successfully implement.

What I'm proposing here though - a completely separate section for specifically-selected accounts within a single Quicken file - may in fact simplify another requested feature: Tracking Transfers in the Budget (can do in Win Quicken, not Mac Quicken).

Examples of the request for tracking transfers in a budget:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856271/update-on-timeline-transfer-transaction-tracking-in-budgets-q-mac#latest

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19990859#Comment_19990859

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7852075/budget-categories#latest

There is a desire by many on the Mac-side to track transfer transactions in the budget (e.g. a reoccurring monthly transfer to a 529 account). Quicken could be coded to treat transfers from my standard banking accounts (e.g. All Transactions >> Banking >> Checking account) to an account in this proposed, separate section (i.e. previously referred to as "Other People") as a transfer worth including in the Budget. There would kind of be inside transfer transactions (i.e. transactions that remain in the "All Transactions" section) and outside transfer transactions (i.e. transfers from "All Transactions" to "Other People"); these outside transfer transactions would populate in the Budget while the inside transfer transactions would, by default, not.

Just an idea.
    The issue of transfers being allowed in budgets is a separate issue that has been one of the most-frequently requested by users, and one the developers have said they are working on for quite awhile.

Again, I do understand your "other people" idea, and users should vote for it above if they'd like to see it implemented. I was suggesting ways you could work around some, if not all, the issues you're looking for using existing features of the software and some that are under development.