Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Lifetime Planner not using proper retirement age

I am using Quicken 2017 Rental Property Manager R4.  No matter what age I choose in the About You Assumptions for both myself and my husband, the Lifetime Planner has us both retiring at 61.  It's also not showing the proper yearly expenses.  I'm wondering how many other data points are wrong.  I just realized that all this work I put into setting up my plan is producing completely unreliable results.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You specify your birth date, which is used to calculate your current age, and the age at which you plan to retire.

Does the Lifetime Planner show the correct current age for you and your husband?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes, all the birth date information is accurate.  Our ages are calculated properly.  Even the "Years Until Retirement" are correct in the Assumptions popup.  When I click on the graph to see the Plan Summary for a particular year, it has income for both of us beyond our retirement date.  
    edited March 2017
    A couple possibilities.

If your expenses exceed your income for the year, the LTP will automatically withdraw from savings, investments, and or retirement accounts to make up the shortfall. Without the withdrawal, do your expenses exceed your income?

Pensions and social security can be started before retirement age. Did you designate an early retirement age to start drawing from a pension or social security?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    The problem is that the line items for income for both my spouse and me are showing dollar figures beyond the retirement date.  This shouldn't be a calculated field that considers expenses, pensions, or social security dollar figures.  All of those line items have their own values in the Plan Summary for the year.   
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Sherri said:

The problem is that the line items for income for both my spouse and me are showing dollar figures beyond the retirement date.  This shouldn't be a calculated field that considers expenses, pensions, or social security dollar figures.  All of those line items have their own values in the Plan Summary for the year.   

There is no rule prohibiting working and receiving income in retirement. If you have an entry for salary or other income in the planner, you need to specify the year in which the income ends.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Sherri said:

THANK YOU!!!!  I assumed the retirement date would adjust the salary end date, but now I see where I can change the salary end date.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Sherri said:

I just tied the salary end dates to our retirement dates, and it's fixed!
    edited February 2017
    Sherri said:

Great, glad you got it figured out!
This discussion has been closed.