Home Quicken for Mac Download, Add/Update Accounts (Mac)

Using Quicken on a new computer (from Windows to Mac)

I have a new Mac laptop and am willing to purchase new Quicken 2017 for Mac. However, I have a previous version that I currently use on my Windows laptop (and also my iPad).

If I instal new version of Quicken on my Mac, will I be able to use it without having to do anything like logging out or disabling the Quicken account or software on my old laptop?

Keep in mind, I'm not that interested in migrating or transferring my old bank records from old laptop. I'm willing to 'start from scratch' if it will make things easier.

At any rate, I don't want to invest all that money on new Quicken software if I'm not going to be able to set it up right away without having to perform all kinds of complicated steps.

So would I just be able to set it up right away without any complicated steps?

Comments

• mistertheplaguemistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    No, you don't need to change anything about your Windows setup to use Quicken for Mac. You'll use the same Intuit ID and password when you set up your QM17 file, but they're separate files.

Note: if you use the Quicken mobile app, you can't sync your QW and your QM file. Since you're already syncing with QW, you could just decline to use Quicken mobile during the QM setup.

Anyway, I actively use both Quicken for Windows 2017 and Quicken for Mac 2017. I access QW on a Windows tower and remotely on my MacBookPro using Microsoft Remote Desktop, which works great. I also use QM17 natively on my MBP, usually when I'm away from home. 

Importing my Windows Quicken file to QM17 was easy, relatively fast, and error-free. Apparently QM17 was the first new-era Mac version that converted Windows file within the program. I have no complaints (and I complain a lot, about Quicken and much else).

One thing to consider is that though QM17 runs beautifully and is very clean visually, it's a lot less capable than QW17. And not all FIs that support direct download for the Windows version support it for the Mac. Depending on how extensively you use QW, the Mac version may or may not be suitable for you.

I actually returned QM17 after purchasing it last Fall because I couldn't get it to do some medium-resolution tasks I took for granted using QW. I repurchased it after learning a couple of workarounds here on the forum, and I'm satisfied using it. But those workarounds are labor-intensive, FYI. 

But, you have 60 days to try it and get a refund if it doesn't work for you. Quicken Inc.'s processing of my refund was reasonably efficient. 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for reply.
    The Windows laptop I have is pretty much a dinosaur on it's last leg. I don't even want to turn it on anymore. I do have this new MacBook and would like to use Quicken on the Mac, mostly for checking account balance and some credit card balances... But I would also like to continue to use Quicken for my iPad and iPhone.  Is there a way I can still use Quicken on mobile devices if I move to Quicken for Mac?

Thanks.
    edited February 2017

Thanks for reply.
    The Windows laptop I have is pretty much a dinosaur on it's last leg. I don't even want to turn it on anymore. I do have this new MacBook and would like to use Quicken on the Mac, mostly for checking account balance and some credit card balances... But I would also like to continue to use Quicken for my iPad and iPhone.  Is there a way I can still use Quicken on mobile devices if I move to Quicken for Mac?

Thanks.

Absolutely. Turn off mobile syncing in your Quicken Windows file before you download and install Quicken for Mac, and then accept mobile syncing as part of the Quicken for Mac setup process. Your iOS devices will then reflect your QM sync.

In reality if you left your Windows sync turned on and selected mobile sync with your Mac installation your iOS Quicken would throw up a dialogue telling you to choose one. Shutting off your Windows mobile sync prior to installing Mac seems tidier to me.

Based on your needs QM17 should work for you just fine. Buy it on Amazon; its a lot cheaper than Quicken.com or the Mac App Store.
    edited February 2017

Thanks for reply.

Thanks.

Just a quick follow-up note: even if you've turned off mobile sync in your Quicken for Windows file before installing Quicken for Mac and choosing to sync your QM file, iOS Quicken may still give you a dialogue telling you to choose one. In that case, select your QM file and continue as normal.