Quicken 2017 Freezes up and is slow. AGAIN

Having gone through the steps and getting Quicken 2017 to not freeze up during update I am back to square one. Seemed to work fine for a month or so but it has started freezing again. Whats going on? I've been using Quicken for many years and updated to 2017 from 2015 due to 2015 running slow. Running 2017 on Windows 10.Thinking of switching to alternative software :(

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    Please do HELP, and hold down the CTRL key while you click About Quicken.  A statistics dialog box will appear.  Take a snapshot of that using the Win Snipping Tool (in your Win Accessories folder), and paste it her using the camera (NOT movie camera) icon below.

Also, make sure that your "Startup location" is set to Home.  Other locations have issues that slow down the start.  EDIT, Preferences, Startup, Startup Location.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • M WalesM Wales Member
    edited March 2017

Please do HELP, and hold down the CTRL key while you click About Quicken.  A statistics dialog box will appear.  Take a snapshot of that using the Win Snipping Tool (in your Win Accessories folder), and paste it her using the camera (NOT movie camera) icon below.

Also, make sure that your "Startup location" is set to Home.  Other locations have issues that slow down the start.  EDIT, Preferences, Startup, Startup Location.

Sorry to horn in, but I'm having same problem. Have attached my stats

edited March 2017

Upgrade your memory, and decrease your number of Memorized Payees.  It looks like you're memorizing EVERY payee that comes thru.
  • Darren HelyarDarren Helyar Member
    edited October 2018
    imageimageimageimage
    edited March 2017
    This also brought another issue. While trying to do this I am not able to access the task bar in order to get to another program such as Snip It. I did go and set the start up to Home as suggested.
    edited March 2017

imageimageimageimage

Darren, figure out why your available memory is so low.  Q requires a minimum of 1GB, and you're showing 0.94GB.  No wonder it runs like a snail.

Also, look into adding more memory overall to your computer.  Memory is fairly cheap ... and the best 'bang for the buck' upgrade for any PC.
  • ImagioImagio Member
    edited February 2018
    Pointing people at memory issues, memorized payees, and similar is well and good..

BUt, as someone that has used every version of Quicken since 1995, I can tell you that this is NOT the issue.

Someone changed the design of Quicken a few years back, and it became like working in cold Molasses.
    Before then, I had 15+ years of data and LOTS of transactions working just fine, and after an upgrade it became so slow that I could barely use it.

I then (2015 version I think) cleared everything and started from scratch with a new empty file.. That worked for a while (slow but usable), but it is again getting slow to the point of unbearable.

Based on what I see (as an advanced app and OS programmer for many years), I am guessing someone stuck an expensive operation (function call) into a loop where it does not belong.  

One major symptom is, that when doing something very simple, such as clicking accept on a downloaded transaction or entering a new one, it goes into a loop where it either scans tables or searches through data for a "long time".  5-10 seconds depending on account.

Another symptom is, that it unnecessarily refreshes things on screen (maybe the whole screen) many times during that simple insert operation.
    For example, it clearly and very visibly removes and re-adds the screen-control displayed under the account name up top showing "Last download", anything from one to maybe 2 dozen times. I have counted up to 19 times that control is being redone/repainted after a single click on "Accept" (on downloaded transaction) or entering  a new transaction.  Why? That's unnecessary work for a simple database insert.
    It is like it has to scan a table to find the "Last Download" time-stamp for the table, and by severe mistake does so sometimes up to 20 times for a "simple" insert.

Its like it's running in a loop checking data (or looking through memorized data), and a goofy programmer inserted a screen or data refresh (requiring data-scanning) into that loop without thinking of the side-effects or time-costs.

From a data perspective, Quicken is a simplistic database program, with a little integrity checking.. On my system, any transaction insertion should complete in micro-seconds. Visibly speaking, it should finish instantaneously. Not take 5-10-15 seconds of apparent hard work.

Of the apps I use, some are very compute intensive and work on massive (GB) size files. Photoshop, Video work, MASSIVE many TB-size MySQL databases, and others.. All work quickly and immediately.  Except the simplest application I have: Quicken.. Which operates like stuck in tar.

Here are my hardware facts..

32 GB of RAM, Quad-core I-7 with hyperthreading running at 3.5 GHz, operating on SSD drives.
    Quicken is the simplest (and by a large factor still the slowest) thing that system does.

After loosing 15 years of data trying to speed up Quicken, my Quicken stats now only reports 14 accounts, about 300 memorized payees, and less than 4000 transactions. Still it is slow as molasses.  

I firmly believe that if you check (or better: profile) the loops in runs through at various operations, you will find a severe, but very simple bug/mistake, that when fixed can speed Quicken up to where I would expect simple database operations to be.  Running at Lightning Speed.

I would very much appreciate seeing the extreme slowness issue fixed. Because its getting intolerable to see that I can insert data in TB size relational databases in fractions of a second, but inserting a single, simple transaction in Quicken runs for obscene seconds. :-)
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for your reply and addition to my issue. I have to agree that it can not be a simple memory issue. Although I certainly don't have your experience and knowledge with this, my conclusion comes from the fact that I don't have any issues with any other problems. There must be another issue.
    edited October 2018
    It's a memory issue.  With every new release, the customer's demand more new features.  Those features require memory.  Q requires a MINIMUM of 1GB to run properly, and actually runs best with 4GB.

And those are the simple, indisputable, facts.
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I have 4GB of Ram on a new Windows Surface Pro. And meet should therefore meet the requirement. I think I am on of many customers who did not demand these new features that have now made what used to be a great program now useless. Maybe they could reissue Quicken 2013 until this memory issue is fixed??
  • edited March 2017
    Imagio said:

Pointing people at memory issues, memorized payees, and similar is well and good..

BUt, as someone that has used every version of Quicken since 1995, I can tell you that this is NOT the issue.

Someone changed the design of Quicken a few years back, and it became like working in cold Molasses.
    Before then, I had 15+ years of data and LOTS of transactions working just fine, and after an upgrade it became so slow that I could barely use it.

I then (2015 version I think) cleared everything and started from scratch with a new empty file.. That worked for a while (slow but usable), but it is again getting slow to the point of unbearable.

Based on what I see (as an advanced app and OS programmer for many years), I am guessing someone stuck an expensive operation (function call) into a loop where it does not belong.  

One major symptom is, that when doing something very simple, such as clicking accept on a downloaded transaction or entering a new one, it goes into a loop where it either scans tables or searches through data for a "long time".  5-10 seconds depending on account.

Another symptom is, that it unnecessarily refreshes things on screen (maybe the whole screen) many times during that simple insert operation.
    For example, it clearly and very visibly removes and re-adds the screen-control displayed under the account name up top showing "Last download", anything from one to maybe 2 dozen times. I have counted up to 19 times that control is being redone/repainted after a single click on "Accept" (on downloaded transaction) or entering  a new transaction.  Why? That's unnecessary work for a simple database insert.
    It is like it has to scan a table to find the "Last Download" time-stamp for the table, and by severe mistake does so sometimes up to 20 times for a "simple" insert.

Its like it's running in a loop checking data (or looking through memorized data), and a goofy programmer inserted a screen or data refresh (requiring data-scanning) into that loop without thinking of the side-effects or time-costs.

From a data perspective, Quicken is a simplistic database program, with a little integrity checking.. On my system, any transaction insertion should complete in micro-seconds. Visibly speaking, it should finish instantaneously. Not take 5-10-15 seconds of apparent hard work.

Of the apps I use, some are very compute intensive and work on massive (GB) size files. Photoshop, Video work, MASSIVE many TB-size MySQL databases, and others.. All work quickly and immediately.  Except the simplest application I have: Quicken.. Which operates like stuck in tar.

32 GB of RAM, Quad-core I-7 with hyperthreading running at 3.5 GHz, operating on SSD drives.
    Quicken is the simplest (and by a large factor still the slowest) thing that system does.

After loosing 15 years of data trying to speed up Quicken, my Quicken stats now only reports 14 accounts, about 300 memorized payees, and less than 4000 transactions. Still it is slow as molasses.  

I firmly believe that if you check (or better: profile) the loops in runs through at various operations, you will find a severe, but very simple bug/mistake, that when fixed can speed Quicken up to where I would expect simple database operations to be.  Running at Lightning Speed.

I would very much appreciate seeing the extreme slowness issue fixed. Because its getting intolerable to see that I can insert data in TB size relational databases in fractions of a second, but inserting a single, simple transaction in Quicken runs for obscene seconds. :-)

This is exactly right - the program is slow because it refreshes constantly.
  • edited March 2017
    I'm right there with everyone else on this thread. I got a brand new ASUS computer with twice or better the operating characteristics (including an i5 processor and 12 GB or RAM) of my old computer (same computer but with 5 years older hardware), and thought I would upgrade from Quicken 2015 to 2017 since I had a new machine. I download transactions and enter receipts every couple weeks, and Quicken freezes multiple times during each session. I experience the same multiple refresh issue as described above. Quicken also doesn't properly download transactions from my bank during OneStep Update. Worst of all, I have spent hours on the phone with Quicken support, who have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help. Can anyone suggest an alternative software that works better. I'm done with this.
  • fanfarefanfare Member
    edited March 2017

Thanks for the reply. I have 4GB of Ram on a new Windows Surface Pro. And meet should therefore meet the requirement. I think I am on of many customers who did not demand these new features that have now made what used to be a great program now useless. Maybe they could reissue Quicken 2013 until this memory issue is fixed??

I'm looking at my available memory as shown by Quicken, it does not agree - too low- with Taskmgr available memory. A lot of programs report this wrong. I doubt quicken uses this number to adjust its internal behavior.
    The bad number doesn't impact my performance because my Quicken is lightning fast. Well - pretty fast, no complaints.

It is Windows that requires the memory and CPU cores, not Quicken. 4GB is minimal. 8 GB is adequate.
  • ImagioImagio Member
    edited March 2017

It's a memory issue.  With every new release, the customer's demand more new features.  Those features require memory.  Q requires a MINIMUM of 1GB to run properly, and actually runs best with 4GB.

There is no doubt, that if you have too little memory to start with, Quicken, like any other application, will run slower. 

Which means that for some people (with smaller systems), giving them the standard reply of adding RAM will speed things up some. As it almost always will. For all applications. But thats as obvious as telling people that "if you have more money, you can buy more stuff", or "reinstalling your whole system will clean up the registry".   
    Yea, fer sure. Always. Non-immutable facts of life.

But that still does not remove the fact that Quicken in its later year incarnations acts really, really silly. Like refreshing and updating screen and data many times over during simple operations, like accepting/entering a single transaction. It is clearly visible.
    Re-updating the "Last download" control, and refreshing the screen 19 times during a simple transaction "Accept" click is DEFINITELY wrong.

I have done app programming and heavy-duty OS systems debugging for too many years to not recognize the symptoms of someone not considering the side-effects of inserting and expensive operation in the wrong place..

And if you notice, I have 32 GB of memory, and even after Windows have eaten away all its caching and other memory for background apps, I still start quicken with 20+ GB of FREE memory. Memory is not the main issue for its slowness, and for sure not an issue at all on my system. You will find very few normal user-systems with 32 GB of RAM.
    Plus, it does not explain the constant data-updates and data refreshing during simple operations.

I am as sure as I can be without access to view the Quicken code, that someone added an expensive operation (like looking scanning tables for "Last Download" info) to a loop where it should not be.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited March 2017

You're hired!
    edited March 2017
    Any suggestions of a better alternative for Quicken until they can sort this out? I have used for many years but would like something that actually is useable.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited March 2017

Any suggestions of a better alternative for Quicken until they can sort this out? I have used for many years but would like something that actually is useable.

Google Personal Financial software.
  • Rick FaderRick Fader Member
    edited March 2017
    Imagio said:

I think you're on the right track but believe that Windows 10 may be part of the problem. I have run my Q file with 20 years of data, lots of transactions on my old Windows 7 machine with Quicken 2016 and it works as it should, fast. That same file on my newer Windows 10 machine, 16gb RAM, i7 processor and SSD with a 4K display is unbearably slow. If I have a lot of data to enter I copy the file over to my old machine, enter the data and then copy it back to my newer computer.
  • Rick FaderRick Fader Member
    edited March 2017

I'm right there with everyone else on this thread. I got a brand new ASUS computer with twice or better the operating characteristics (including an i5 processor and 12 GB or RAM) of my old computer (same computer but with 5 years older hardware), and thought I would upgrade from Quicken 2015 to 2017 since I had a new machine. I download transactions and enter receipts every couple weeks, and Quicken freezes multiple times during each session. I experience the same multiple refresh issue as described above. Quicken also doesn't properly download transactions from my bank during OneStep Update. Worst of all, I have spent hours on the phone with Quicken support, who have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help. Can anyone suggest an alternative software that works better. I'm done with this.

Install Quicken 2017 on your old machine, assuming it is NOT running Windows 10, it'll probably work just fine, it did for me.
  • Lee WallLee Wall Member
    edited March 2017
    My financial institution has changed the way account details must me entered, now the user ID must be all caps.  How do I change the user ID on my account in Q without creating a new account?  Any help would be appreciated.
    edited March 2017
    I believe it can be edited in Password Locker in Quicken
    edited March 2017

This issue of running slow and freezing is driving me crazy. I am giving Money Dance a try. Anyone tried it before and had any issues?
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Lee Wall said:

My financial institution has changed the way account details must me entered, now the user ID must be all caps.  How do I change the user ID on my account in Q without creating a new account?  Any help would be appreciated.

Deactivate the account from downloads.  Exit Quicken.  Then reactivate the account for downloads, using your new user ID and password.

Make sure you LINK your account to the existing account in Quicken.  
  • fanfarefanfare Member
    edited March 2017

Imagio   "I am as sure as I can be"
    Then why isn't everybody slow ?
  • kristalkristal Member
    edited March 2017
    Imagio said:

One more comment here. I went to my memorized payees and there were over 4000. I have memorized less than 100 transactions in 18 years of using Quicken. Something is definitely wrong. No way I memorized 4000 transactions. I've deleted them all. It still spinning after 30 minutes.
  • kristalkristal Member
    edited March 2017
    Imagio said:

UPDATE! It took over 30 minutes to delete the 4000 memorized payees that I never added. However once it was finished my program ran so much faster. It's still not what it should be and shame on the programmers who won't take responsibility for these coding errors. But at least I am at a speed I can work with.... for now.
  • Kurt RodholmKurt Rodholm Member
    edited March 2017

I too am having very slow and freezing.

• John GrafJohn Graf Member
    edited May 2017

imageimageimageimage

Quicken isn't recognizing all the memory. I have 32mb of memory but quicken says it is only 1048757K in total memory.
  • John GrafJohn Graf Member
    edited June 2017
    I have 32mb of memory, an i7 processor, a solid state hard drive and a 2tb spinning hard drive. Quicken (2016 Canada Home and Business) worked fine with W7, but when W10 came along it became virtually unusable. It works fine in Safe Mode. I uninstalled Trusteer Rapport (which my bank wants me to use) and it sped up considerably but is still slower than it should be. The issue seems to be the user interface. It paints the screen multiple times when it doesn't need to. Any inserts or account changes are difficult for it. I tried a new data file with two accounts and a couple of transactions - same issue, so it isn't my data file.