Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Tax Line Item - Form # Not In Drop DownList

Bill BlaneyBill Blaney Member ✭✭
Quicken 2017, Windows 10.  IRS Form 5695 (Energy Tax Credit) does not appear in the drop down list when editing a tax-related category.  I don't seem to have the ability to enter this myself.  What's the best way of handling this?  Thanks in advance for any help. 

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I just checked in Q H&B 2017, and it's not there either.
    So, just create your own category, on the Tax Reporting tab click "Tax Related" and just don't assign a specific tax line.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Note you can't add tax lines that Quicken doesn't already have, and it has been my experience that Quicken hasn't kept up with the new tax lines.

But that might also be related to the fact that the only place these are really used is when transferring to TurboTax, and it might be that the interface between the two hasn't been kept up.  Some tax lines are using in the reports, but I don't think those have been changed (or need to be changed) in years either.
  • Bill BlaneyBill Blaney Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    QPW said:

Note you can't add tax lines that Quicken doesn't already have, and it has been my experience that Quicken hasn't kept up with the new tax lines.

But that might also be related to the fact that the only place these are really used is when transferring to TurboTax, and it might be that the interface between the two hasn't been kept up.  Some tax lines are using in the reports, but I don't think those have been changed (or need to be changed) in years either.

QPW:  Thanks for helping me reset my expectations regarding Quicken Deluxe 2017 and Turbo Tax for 2016.  I was hoping to print a simple schedule of tax-related transactions, sequenced by tax line item. I have Windows 10 if that matters. 
    edited April 2017

I just checked in Q H&B 2017, and it's not there either.
    So, just create your own category, on the Tax Reporting tab click "Tax Related" and just don't assign a specific tax line.

In Turbotax, if you ascertain the Form, Schedule and line item number, can you go back into Quicken and manually assign it?  You would think the Turbotax and Quicken folks would coordinate this.  I have Quicken 2017 and Windows 10.  And Turbotax. 
    edited April 2017
    QPW said:

I just read Quicken is celebrating one year since they split off from Intuit and TurboTax.  Perhaps that accounts for not having perfect synchronization of Tax Schedules and Line Items.  
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited July 2018
    QPW said:

Nope...that flaw has existed for years...even when Intuit owned Quicken.  

Just create a Tax Summary report (NOT Tax Schedule Report).  

The Tax Summary report will give you EVERY transaction by category that is checked "tax related", regardless of the actual Tax Line item associated with it.

A Tax Schedule Report is dependent on having a Tax Line item, because it is grouped by the corresponding Tax Schedules (A, B, C, D, E, 1040, 1099 etc.).
This discussion has been closed.