Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Q2017 Mac: Investing portfolio holdings + cash in separate groups?

davekr
davekr Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
coming from qwin versions, the investment tab showed an accounts holdings + cash & showed each accounts value.  is there a way to make qmac 2017 do the same? if not, how does one make a formal request for action to correct this oversight?

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Its not an oversight, QM does not link cash accounts. The cash balance will show up in your register & as a cash balance in the portfolio view
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I realize the correct nature of your statement, however I disagree as to the oversight reference, why would it be a feature in qwin and not an oversight in qmac? wouldn't in make sense to have a similar view?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Davekr, in total agreement with you; The issue is not one of lack of desire or an oversight. The issue which if you spend time here you will learn (just as I did) that QM was a design product from the floor up. There are many users who are still using Qm2007 because they can't/won't give up those features. When I switched over from QW I understood most of the limitations of QM, the reason being I spent a few weeks understanding the differences, then made the decision. For the most part i was not surprised because I understood the differences ..for the most part anyway.

Due to issues with Apple OS, Quicken concluded that they would not be able to maintain QM2007 long term so the decision was made to  to start from scratch with Quicken Essentials and build the product from there. It is simply a matter of time to bring the desired features up to speed with Qw or QM2007 for that matter. Nothing was deliberately not put in the program its just a matter of adding these things in with time. 

The fact that quicken is no longer part of Intuit is probably a good thing as the folks at Quicken have committed to parity with QW in time. Suspect it will take 2-3 yrs. In the meantime Quicken continues to add features on a regular basis. I transitioned from QW to QM 16, now using QM17 , I have seen the upgrades. the investment area is in need of major upgrades as you will no doubt learn. reporting, lot management , options , etc are all in need of work..

How long have you been operation Qm17?
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    concordman, I have been a qwin user since 95, switched personal computer platforms to mac in 99, stayed w/qwin via an emulator until the win side orphaned win xp in late 15/16. initially switched to qmac 2016, felt really disappointed, as there had been so much hypeI 

along the way I think I've tried many other solutions, ibank etc etc.

fortunately it was shortly after I had switched to qmac 16 that intuit sold off quicken and promised major improvement in qmac 17.  I find qmac 17 has promise, but like many copies from the far east (not saying qmac coms from far east), it's close but "not quite right!"

recanting everything that has happened along the way on the mac platform doesn't really excuse that intuit, and their ceo treated mac users as redheaded step children, no offense to redheads or stepchildren! all while jobs continued to keep intuit's ceo on aapl's bod!

rather than you & I sharing our woes re:qmac shortcomings, perhaps we should develop a shorter path to those making the upgrades & improvements to qmac?

what is the best way to voice shortcomings to these people?

thx,

dave
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    The Quicken folks sometimes read these passages there really isn't much except vote for the improvements needed..I will try to locate some of the ideas published by Super Users and link it here so you can cast your vote. The Quicken folks are aware of the issues but we suspect they are a small group.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    2 months ago
    Photo of smayer97

smayer97, SuperUser

• 157,480 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

That is correct. All of these you have identified are currently listed. You can add your VOTE to: First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the:
    on which the above are found. Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Dave, you can start here
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

The Quicken folks sometimes read these passages there really isn't much except vote for the improvements needed..I will try to locate some of the ideas published by Super Users and link it here so you can cast your vote. The Quicken folks are aware of the issues but we suspect they are a small group.

obviously you & I have been attempting to establish dialog w/quicken teams for some time, please pass along any contact or forum that will help users contribute and steer those in developement!
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    DONE!

thx!
This discussion has been closed.