Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Converting NZ 2006 Quicken to the US version

I'm an NZ quicken 2006 user with similar issues. Trying to migrate my data to the US version of quicken premier. Just had a question, when you google MS Money Sunset edition, have UK users been able to open their old UK quicken file in MS Money. On one of the websites it says you have to have US quicken files. Thanks in advance.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Want to upgrade Quicken UK 2004.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

It might be better and easier if you used the Australian version of what once was Quicken AUS/NZ instead of going through all these questionable conversion efforts.
    You'd also get software which is written specifically for your market area and works with your banks, brokerages, stock exchanges, etc. Quicken US does not.

"Quicken Australia", by a different name,
    available from Reckon

http://www.reckon.com.au/compare/BusinessRange.aspx

http://www.reckon.com.au/compare/PersonalRange.aspx

http://www.reckon.com.au/support/default.aspx

Support Community: https://community.reckon.com/reckon

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for your advice Ukr. I have considered that and trialled reckon. For some reason when I restore my 20 year data file into the Reckon trial all the share prices and currency lists don't come through so the net worth is wrong.

In the end I was almost going to buy the Reckon software and start again from scratch but I have been monitoring the Reckon forum and there are some big issues with the software and the stock price upgrades not working properly. That's when I started to question whether there is enough development by Reckon Australia into keeping the software current. If I'm going to start from scratch I might as well consider the US version of quicken as I am used to manually importing all the banks data anyway. The Reckon version of quicken is $203 usd and then I have to run parallels at nearly $100usd so I need to make sure I believe that software will be a good fit for me and adequately supported and developed going forwards.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I was hoping that Dan Glynhampton would post a reply to your comment in the other thread, and maybe he will pipe up there/here.  But in fact it might not really matter in the sense that it probably comes down to no one can know for sure, and it is a try and see if it works kind of thing, especially since you are working with the Reckon version of Quicken.  There is no telling what they changed that might affect the data file.  From what I can tell Reckon was in step with Quicken US as far as changes went (but they had some extra functionality) up until Quicken 2009 US.  In Quicken 2010 they changed the GUI quite a bit, and the consolidated the multiple files QDF, QPH, ... into one compressed data file and called it a QDF (it still contains the .QDF, .QPH, ... just in a ZIP like file, and it can still convert from the old multiple file format.)

As I see it you have a lot of possibilities especially if you are willing to start over.
    1. Quicken Windows US (don't get the Starter version).  And even here you can decide if you really want to go with the latest considering that you can't really use any of the online services, and a lot of what the new version's new features are all about is "online".    In fact because of a bug that was in Quicken 2016 not converting Quicken 2008 and old versions, they put up a copy of Quicken 2013 (I think it is a trial version) to help people convert to Quicken 2016.  Well you could use that to see if your data file would convert directly. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken And if it does that is a really good step.  You might be able to buy Quicken 2013 on E-Bay, or you certainly could go to a newer version.  And it would also mean that if you like you could convert to Quicken Mac pretty easily.
    2. Quicken Mac 2017.  Still a work in progress. It is missing a lot of features.  For instance if you do a transfer from one account in one currency to another account in a different currency it doesn't apply the exchange rate.  One person on here said that what they are doing is using a split and put in a line to compensate for the difference.  There is a direct conversion from Quicken Windows.  They created a special format just for this called QXF.  The export from Windows to Mac is pretty well maintained (but not the other way around).  In fact they have basically taken a hacked version of Quicken Windows in put it in the Mac version running under Crossover so that it can do the conversion entirely on the Mac.
    3. Quicken Mac 2007.  I think you can still get a copy of this one from Quicken support.  This is much closer to the feature set of Quicken Windows US Deluxe, but it isn't the "future", and converting to if from Windows is much harder since the only path to it is through QIF files.  Note that there is a direct conversion from Quicken 2007 Mac to Quicken 2017 Mac.
    On the conversion from your data file to MS Money.
    Before Dan pointed out that a direct conversion sometimes works the suggested paths were always QIF or better yet MS Money.  MS Money seemed to be able to read the old foreign data pretty well.

MS Money and Quicken were of course competitors and they purposely made it hard to convert between the two.  But looking at the Sunset version I now remember that Microsoft's reverse engineering to do the conversion from Quicken stopped at like Quicken 2006.  Hopefully I have that year right and you can try this.  For Quicken 2007 I know you would be out of luck, at least for the US version.

When MS Money was ended, one of the Microsoft developers wrote a conversion program for going to Quicken.

One interesting twist might be QIF imported into Quicken Mac 2017.
    Quicken Mac doesn't allow for importing QIF files for ongoing transaction imports, but it does support it for creating a new data file.  This was put in to convert from competitors, and just from the
    brief scanning I have done here, it has worked for "some people" with some degree of difficulty.  It would be interesting to know if a QIF import from Quicken NZ would work.  The one thing I would really wonder about is the date format.  But if you can't get Quicken NZ to export the dates in US format, you can run it through this program I wrote to fix up such problems:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/cleanqif.html

I know that the Reckon version uses DMY in their QIF files.  The US and Canadian versions of Quicken need MDY.

Also since Quicken Mac 2017 doesn't import QIF files for downloading transactions from the financial institutions that does put someone using it in a different country into a bind.  The only format that Quicken Mac 2017 will accept is QFX, and it checks the financial institution to see if it is a "participating partner", and rejects the import if it isn't.  This can be faked, and that is exactly what some of the converter out there do.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks QPW. I'll go through some of those options soon.

There are several problems with the quicken 2006 file I am running. Firstly it's locked and there is no option to export it to a qif file. The only thing you can export is addresses on that drop down under file/export. That must have been a way of Quicken NZ stopping you from migrating your data somewhere else - not even to Quicken US version. It's a known problem for NZ and Australian users I've seen on the forums. I can still export reports to excel csv files. Not sure if that's much use though.

Just as an aside, I decided, ok, I'll just bite the bullet and buy Quicken NZ 2017 (now Reckon PP 2017) and run it on my mac via parallels. One thing I noticed, the program looks virtually the same as my QPP 2006 version except for the online capabilities! (in fact my quicken 2006 looks better and easier to use). Then when I tried to go and register the trial the dialog box was minimized and it won't resize so I can't put the activation code in. After some research I found out that is because the Reckon program is old, I'm trying to run it on a mac HD retina screen, and it is never going to resize. So I can't even register that Reckon program on my mac. Ughh.

In the end I've just gone and bought a second hand PC just to run windows just to run quicken. At least I won't need to pay for the parallels subscription which I'm beginning to hate... It's interesting that I read on some other helpful thread that I could access that laptop via teamviewer onto my mac.

Just a question - I have a copy of Ms Money Standard, would this work possibly for that MS money file conversion process you are talking about or does it need to be the MS money sunset version?

I would gladly go to Quicken Mac 2017 if it had full multi currency capabilities but whilst it doesn't that isn't an option. I have put in my multi currency vote and read the threads on that.

As you can imagine I've spent far too much time looking into this, the rest of my life is starting to get severely neglected but my household and personal finances all revolve around Quicken so I have to find a solution. Sadly! I know running quicken via windows xp via parallels is not a long term solution, since the program locked up for a while and I couldn't back up which was scary. That got sorted eventually with a restart.

I'm trialling using quickbooks online plus plan (they have an introductory offer on their global version of $9.30usd per month for the first 12 months and then it goes up to $40per month after that). Serious money but it is cloud accounting and it does cater for multi currency, apparently. I'm going to test that out the qbo multi currency functionality this month. For our shares I've loaded them on to the sharesight app which is brilliant. It's all a two step process though. Ideally I'd like to go and find a quicken solution. Hopefully there's one there amongst your suggestions. I might try Quicken 2013 on ebay.

This very long winded but may help some Aust/NZ quicken users (it seems like I'm the only person in New Zealand still using quicken...). It would be good if the new quicken owners could re enter the NZ/Australian market but I guess they are barred from doing that after they sold out to Reckon in 2006. Thanks again QPW.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2017
    ecco said:

Thanks QPW. I'll go through some of those options soon.

There are several problems with the quicken 2006 file I am running. Firstly it's locked and there is no option to export it to a qif file. The only thing you can export is addresses on that drop down under file/export. That must have been a way of Quicken NZ stopping you from migrating your data somewhere else - not even to Quicken US version. It's a known problem for NZ and Australian users I've seen on the forums. I can still export reports to excel csv files. Not sure if that's much use though.

Just as an aside, I decided, ok, I'll just bite the bullet and buy Quicken NZ 2017 (now Reckon PP 2017) and run it on my mac via parallels. One thing I noticed, the program looks virtually the same as my QPP 2006 version except for the online capabilities! (in fact my quicken 2006 looks better and easier to use). Then when I tried to go and register the trial the dialog box was minimized and it won't resize so I can't put the activation code in. After some research I found out that is because the Reckon program is old, I'm trying to run it on a mac HD retina screen, and it is never going to resize. So I can't even register that Reckon program on my mac. Ughh.

In the end I've just gone and bought a second hand PC just to run windows just to run quicken. At least I won't need to pay for the parallels subscription which I'm beginning to hate... It's interesting that I read on some other helpful thread that I could access that laptop via teamviewer onto my mac.

Just a question - I have a copy of Ms Money Standard, would this work possibly for that MS money file conversion process you are talking about or does it need to be the MS money sunset version?

I would gladly go to Quicken Mac 2017 if it had full multi currency capabilities but whilst it doesn't that isn't an option. I have put in my multi currency vote and read the threads on that.

As you can imagine I've spent far too much time looking into this, the rest of my life is starting to get severely neglected but my household and personal finances all revolve around Quicken so I have to find a solution. Sadly! I know running quicken via windows xp via parallels is not a long term solution, since the program locked up for a while and I couldn't back up which was scary. That got sorted eventually with a restart.

I'm trialling using quickbooks online plus plan (they have an introductory offer on their global version of $9.30usd per month for the first 12 months and then it goes up to $40per month after that). Serious money but it is cloud accounting and it does cater for multi currency, apparently. I'm going to test that out the qbo multi currency functionality this month. For our shares I've loaded them on to the sharesight app which is brilliant. It's all a two step process though. Ideally I'd like to go and find a quicken solution. Hopefully there's one there amongst your suggestions. I might try Quicken 2013 on ebay.

This very long winded but may help some Aust/NZ quicken users (it seems like I'm the only person in New Zealand still using quicken...). It would be good if the new quicken owners could re enter the NZ/Australian market but I guess they are barred from doing that after they sold out to Reckon in 2006. Thanks again QPW.

On the locking problem.  Well that rules out QIF exports.  I have no experience on the "lock" so can't really say what may or may not work depending on how they "locked" it.

On the converting to MS Money.  I'm not sure what version you have to be on to convert Quicken NZ to MS Money, but for sure you need to be running MS money sunset version to do the conversion from MS Money to Quicken.

On trying Quicken 2013, for that you don't need to buy anything until you see if it works.  You can get it from the link I gave above.  I know the Quicken 2004 version they gave there is a trial version just for doing conversions, but I don't know if the Quicken 2013 will time out or not.  But if that conversion works, that opens the possibility to stay on that version (buying from E-Bay) or going to a newer version.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    A bit of an update for anyone that is following this discussion.

First let me back up and say that Karin first contacted me through my website so there is a large amount of the conversation we have had that is only in emails, and I was the one that directed her here to get others opinions and to let people know what is and isn't possible in this area.  Hopefully We will have captured all the important aspects of this.

With that said Karin tried the conversion from her NZ 2006 data file to Quicken 2013 US, and for the most part it was successful.

The currency list and security prices didn't come through.  The currency list is no surprise or big problem since Quicken US doesn't maintain anything, but the current one.

On the security prices.  Karin thinks that might be data corruption.  The thing that got her looking at all of this in the first place was a disk crash.  After that point her Quicken had been doing strange things like not retaining prices when she did a backup and restore.

At this point Karin hasn't tried it, but I have directed her at using QPH File Processor to try to recreate the prices: http://www.reltan.com/ which might help in that.

But note once this problem happened she looked and found a different way to monitor her investment accounts, so this probably doesn't matter that much for her.

I will point out though that even if she upgrades to the latest version of Quicken it will never download the security prices from an exchange in her country.

So from what I can see it has been a long standing myth that Quicken can't read foreign data files.
    We have reports of it reading Quicken UK 2004 files, and recently I found the US version had no problem reading a Canadian data file.  And the Canadian version of Quicken had no problem reading a US data file.

Now it makes sense not state this is supported because at any time the parties involved could have changed that data file in a way that it no longer worked.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Oh one more thing that I keep seeming to forget.

The Reckon version of Quicken has the QIF export removed.  I guess they did that to lock people into using Quicken and not be able to transfer their data to other programs.

It has QIF imports, just not exports.

So in fact the only possible ways to get the data out of Quicken Reckon is a direct conversion by either Quicken US/Canadian or MS Money.  And also note that the MS Money conversion can only be done up to the Quicken 2006 version of the data file.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Many thanks qpw for helping me with this horrific dilemma I had of not being able to go anywhere with my quicken 2006 New Zealand data of 20 years. I have spent several years and quite a bit of money trying to find an acceptable equivalent. The combination of living in New Zealand, migrating to a Mac and needing a program that catered for budgets, shares, bringing your data across and multi currency was an almost impossible dilemma as many others also know. I think I've got a solution after being able to convert my data. Many thanks once again qpw. This is a fantastic forum.

If quicken is listening it would be good if you introduced a basics global version of quicken where you can just import .ofx files, like the quicken 2006 version I use. No online downloads or anything like that. Maybe just csv import capabilities. I'm sure you would draw in a lot of your loyal users from around the world who are in the same situation as I was in. Until I linked up with qpw via this forum.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I think there are a lot of people that would like to see "offline" "global" version.

I wanted mention that I think that Quicken 2013 is still downloading the latest patch releases, but they aren't on the Quicken web pages any more.  If you need the old patch installs see my web page:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    These people who would like an offline global edition would be no trouble. They have been surviving on no support for decades already since quicken pulled out of their countries in the mid 2000s...
This discussion has been closed.