Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QMac 2017: INVESTMENT TYPE is not available for accounts imported from Mint

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I imported IRA accounts from Mint (as my bank doesn't support IRA for Quicken). However, none of INVESTMENT choices (IRA, etc.) are offered in TYPE in the setup window. Only available are: Asset, Cash, Checking, Credit Card, Liability, Line of Credit, Money Market, Savings.  How can I set up this account as Investment?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Are you using the
    Starter Edition of Quicken for Windows (US version)
    or
    Quicken Cash Manager (Canada) ?

This limited feature version does not support investment accounts.

You need to upgrade your software to at least Quicken Deluxe (US) or Quicken Home & Business (Canada).

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm curious...are you trying to download a .csv file into Quicken?  Because, without a whole lot of finagling, that doesn't work.  Quicken doesn't import .csv transaction files.  And Mint only exports to a .csv file.

If you have a .qif file (which I have no idea how you would get that from Mint), you import into a Cash Account in Quicken, then highlight the transactions "en masse", copy and paste to the correct investment account.

Alternatively, you can change the header on the .qif file for the requirements to import into the correct Quicken account with the cash account restriction.  Search on this forum for ".qif import" for instructions.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

I'm curious...are you trying to download a .csv file into Quicken?  Because, without a whole lot of finagling, that doesn't work.  Quicken doesn't import .csv transaction files.  And Mint only exports to a .csv file.

If you have a .qif file (which I have no idea how you would get that from Mint), you import into a Cash Account in Quicken, then highlight the transactions "en masse", copy and paste to the correct investment account.

Alternatively, you can change the header on the .qif file for the requirements to import into the correct Quicken account with the cash account restriction.  Search on this forum for ".qif import" for instructions.  

Quicken Mac provides support for creating accounts using the exported Mint CSV files.

But from what I have seen Mint doesn't export any investment data through CSV, so a person would have to start from scratch for those accounts.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for your prompt responses!  Below are the answers to your questions:

(1) I'm using Quicken Mac V 4.4.3.  It has the following categories:  BANKING (Cash, Saving, Credit Cards), INVESTING (Brokerage, Retirement) and Property/Debt.

(2) I downloaded csv files from Mint and used "Import Mint.com file (CSV)" function on Quicken.

(3) The Mint csv files have the following headers: 

Date, Description, Original Description, Amount, Transaction Type, Category, Account Name, Labels, Notes. "INVESTMENTS" is entered automatically under the Category heading, but apparently it is not reflected into Quicken's INVESTING category.

What information does Quicken use to separate imported accounts to Banking and Investing categories?  Is there anyway to modify the csv files?

Thank you for your help!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Well, if only the OP had said he was using Quicken Mac.  
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2017
    NotQuick said:

(1) I'm using Quicken Mac V 4.4.3.  It has the following categories:  BANKING (Cash, Saving, Credit Cards), INVESTING (Brokerage, Retirement) and Property/Debt.

(2) I downloaded csv files from Mint and used "Import Mint.com file (CSV)" function on Quicken.

Date, Description, Original Description, Amount, Transaction Type, Category, Account Name, Labels, Notes. "INVESTMENTS" is entered automatically under the Category heading, but apparently it is not reflected into Quicken's INVESTING category.

What information does Quicken use to separate imported accounts to Banking and Investing categories?  Is there anyway to modify the csv files?

Thank you for your help!

To clarify: what you are referring to "categories" in the sidebar are really account type groupings. 

As noted by QPW, Mint does not support the export of investment data to CSV. It is unlikely you are going to be able to manipulate the CSV so that Quicken will import it as an investment account data. At most, I could see you only getting a cash balance.

If you wish to keep track of your IRA in Quicken (and you can even if your bank doesn't support downloading), you will have to click on the + sign at the upper left side of the sidebar and choose to create a new Investments:IRA account. Click on options in the bank list window and choose Manual.

The basic concept is that you will setup your securities you hold in the Window:Securities list first, and then manually enter the Buy (or add) transactions to get the share balance/cash correct. This isn't very hard to do, but if you are new to Quicken, you might wish to get a feel for the program before you attempt this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    NotQuick said:

Thank you for your help!

As an update.  I went on Mint and synced one of my investment accounts to see what would happen when I exported the CSV file.

I was a bit surprised to find that it did export the investment account.  This is definitely different than it use to be.  But like John in NC said, what I got was just the cash balances.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Thank you all.  I will now start entering manually.