Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

QWin: Budgets still reflects gross sales price of stocks sold in the realized gains category rather

Budgets still reflects gross sales price of stocks sold in the realized gains category  rather than realized gain. ??? The capital gain report is correct.Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: QWin: Make Fixing Existing Bugs a Priority- Top 10 Legacy Bugs Quicken Ignores.

Comments

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Not a bug. Gross Proceeds represents actual cash flow. Capital gains can take years to realize.
  • Ronnie D CampbellRonnie D Campbell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Then where does the cost to purchase the stock that was sold show up in the budget?  Some of these stocks were bought & sold in the same month.
    edited January 2019
    They will show up in the expense side of the budget.
    edited April 2017
    Where//.  Under what category?? I cant find them anywhere.  Help.
    edited April 2017
    SuperUser:   Have you found the category that shows up on the expense side of the budget  when you buy stock?? 
    edited January 2019
    You are correct; looking at the Banking Transactions report, no category is assigned to a Buy so it will not be available to budget queries. I also see that _RlzdGain does correctly show the gain as a single line record in the Banking Transactions report;  so that query structure is readily available for use in the budget module and could be applied as you propose. For the reason I stated in my initial comment, the merits of using the _RlzdGain category for budgeting may be worth discussing but that is not subject of this post so I will refrain. I stand corrected.
This discussion has been closed.