Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Bug: available credit incorporates future transactions

KnnNikeKnnNike Member ✭✭✭
I am re-reporting this, because after several years of showing up in the forums it still hasn't been fixed. The "Available Credit" column on the Property & Debt > Debt tab doesn't work correctly, because it incorporates future payments.

One of my credit cards has a $2,000 limit and a balance of $465. So my "available" credit should be $1535. However, because I have a future payment for this balance logged in my register for 2 weeks from today, Quicken is reporting that I have the full $2,000 available. That will be true 2 weeks from now, but I certainly don't have $2,000 available today.

It seems that the root of the problem is from "available credit" being calculated from the "ending balance" for a credit account, rather than the "current balance". I have noticed the same thing with the debt reduction tool. It was probably something that was done 10+ years ago by accident, and the Quicken support team has just never bothered to fix it. This is hugely frustrating, and I am re-posting with the hope that maybe the new ownership results in this getting resolved.

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Here's a solution.  Go to your credit card's website or app and see what the available credit is.  
  • KnnNikeKnnNike Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Here's a solution.  Go to your credit card's website or app and see what the available credit is.  

That's not a solution, any more than saying that "Use Excel to manually track your income and expenses" is a solution to any of Quicken's other problems. I'm not sure if this was meant to be a sarcastic response or not, but if so, please don't waste the forum space.

If a problem doesn't keep getting reported, then it doesn't get fixed. That's my intent here, to re-report an ongoing problem.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

It was not a sarcastic response at all.

Considering that Quicken does NOT download credit card interest rates or credit limits, you have to manually enter those anyways.

If I'm going to the website or my statement to find that information, why would I care what Quicken calculates as my remaining credit?

As interest rates rise, I continually have to manually adjust Quicken to account for those raises in my credit card interest rates.  And as a long time customer, my credit card companies "reward" me for being such a good customer and paying on time by extending me an even higher credit limit from time to time.

IF Quicken would download those figures automatically, then I say fine...you have a legitimate complaint.  Because they don't, it's almost worthless in Quicken anyways because by the time I reenter the current rates, I have already found out my remaining credit from another source.  

As a matter of fact, thanks for reminding me to update those.

Both my credit cards just had a 0.5% hike in their interest rates.  
  • KnnNikeKnnNike Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

I suppose if your interest rates and credit limits are changing that frequently, then you have a point. But I have 5 credit cards, and only 3 of them have had an interest rate and/or credit limit change in the last 6 months. The fact is, Quicken provides this capability (of viewing interest rates and limits), and it does help being able to see that info all in one place (assuming the numbers are accurate).

As I also mentioned, the root of this bug is present in other features as well, such as the debt reduction tool, so there's some additional motivation to address this.

The point is...the function, as it is right now, is just fundamentally wrong. Something that is doing its job fundamentally wrong should not be left alone. Just because the feature is not personally of use to you doesn't mean that it shouldn't be fixed. And it's not going to be a priority unless people like me tell Quicken that they use it for their financial planning.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

When was the last time you reported this?  And how many times? And how many other users have the same request?

Because I'm guessing that since Quicken hasn't done anything to fix this lingering issue, it's not a very high priority for them.  

It does seem ridiculous to not have the current amount rather than the ending balance.

But I can also see the point of the ending balance too.  Because any additional/future charges should be incorporated in the debt reduction, because those charges WILL be part of the debt.

And any scheduled payments in the future are already accounted for...so why include them in the debt reduction?  That debt's already been reduced.  
This discussion has been closed.