Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QWin 2017 Premier: Moving from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken Premier 2017 ISSUES!

UnknownUnknown Member

I am very frustrated. Last year I purchased Quicken for Mac 2017 and migrated from the 2014 PC version and the migration worked without issue. I just recently went back to using Windows and I am using Windows 10. I decided to go with Quicken Premier 2017 and I created a QXF file on the mac version so that I could migrate it to the windows version. When the import process begins on the windows machine, it gets about a quarter of the way through and then it stops and a window pops up stating along the lines of, "Import Completed with 2000+ errors." A log file is then generated and it says "Memory Allocation Error." I have an Intel I-7, 8gigs of ram, and 500 GB of HD space. I have also installed the latest updates to Quicken Premier for Windows 2017.

I am very frustrated over this because I have a lifetime of transactions and records on Quicken that I need to move. I just purchased Premier 2017 and I need this to work. Please help me. Thank you.

Comments

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    This is a fellow user support forum.

In short, the conversion from QMac to QWin simply doesn't work. Perhaps it might for the most basic of users who only use default categories, but for most people, the data becomes hopelessly screwed up. All the categories get assigned incorrectly, and balances don't tend to come through correctly.

This has been an ongoing problem for a good while-the last I knew of a reliable conversion was around Quicken 2012 for Windows.

The memory allocation errors (and others) aren't specific to your machine. 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    "Import Completed with 2000+ errors."

Believe it or not, those "2000+ errors" are "expected".  At least they are if you have investment accounts.

The conversion from Quicken Essentials Mac to Quicken Windows 2012 using a QXF file was the first year it was supported, and the "best".

The QXF format was created in 2010 to do the conversion from Quicken Windows to Quicken Essentials.  Quicken Essentials didn't have investment transactions, so that support wasn't put in the format at the time.

For Quicken Windows 2012 John in NC requested and got them to put in support for importing the QXF file.  And except for some sub sub categories being messed up a bit it worked pretty good.  But of course it didn't support investment accounts/transactions.

So what do you think would happen in Quicken 2012 Windows if you exported a QXF file and then imported it into Quicken 2012 Windows?  Answer exactly what you see now in Quicken 2017 Windows, 2000+ errors.  These errors are all the investment transactions that aren't being processed.

Because as time went on Quicken Mac advanced and Quicken Windows stayed frozen in time.
    Quicken Mac 2015 started adding investment transactions and that has progressed, but the import for QXF files in Quicken Windows has been left "unchanged".  From what I understand that Mac group either developed or pushed for the export of the QXF file from Quicken Windows to keep up with the Mac side, but the same is not true of the import.

And over time the scrambling of the categories has gotten worse.  Most likely not because they directly changed things, but because was other things in Quicken were changed that affected the import, it wasn't fixed.

The current state is that only way to make the conversion is through CSV file exported from Quicken Mac, and converted to QIF files that are imported on the Windows side.  but this is also "frozen in time", as in it is only for non investment accounts.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/importqem.html

By any chance did they leave the door open to go back to Quicken 2007 Mac?
    If so it "might" be possible to export QIF files from there.  But I'm sure that will be painful.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/i-just-succeeded-in-recreating-my-data-file-using-a-qif-export-import

BTW from what I have seen the "memory allocation errors" came in about two years ago, but in fact don't change the results one way or another.
    edited May 2017
    QPW said:

Believe it or not, those "2000+ errors" are "expected".  At least they are if you have investment accounts.

The conversion from Quicken Essentials Mac to Quicken Windows 2012 using a QXF file was the first year it was supported, and the "best".

The QXF format was created in 2010 to do the conversion from Quicken Windows to Quicken Essentials.  Quicken Essentials didn't have investment transactions, so that support wasn't put in the format at the time.

For Quicken Windows 2012 John in NC requested and got them to put in support for importing the QXF file.  And except for some sub sub categories being messed up a bit it worked pretty good.  But of course it didn't support investment accounts/transactions.

So what do you think would happen in Quicken 2012 Windows if you exported a QXF file and then imported it into Quicken 2012 Windows?  Answer exactly what you see now in Quicken 2017 Windows, 2000+ errors.  These errors are all the investment transactions that aren't being processed.

Because as time went on Quicken Mac advanced and Quicken Windows stayed frozen in time.
    Quicken Mac 2015 started adding investment transactions and that has progressed, but the import for QXF files in Quicken Windows has been left "unchanged".  From what I understand that Mac group either developed or pushed for the export of the QXF file from Quicken Windows to keep up with the Mac side, but the same is not true of the import.

And over time the scrambling of the categories has gotten worse.  Most likely not because they directly changed things, but because was other things in Quicken were changed that affected the import, it wasn't fixed.

The current state is that only way to make the conversion is through CSV file exported from Quicken Mac, and converted to QIF files that are imported on the Windows side.  but this is also "frozen in time", as in it is only for non investment accounts.

If so it "might" be possible to export QIF files from there.  But I'm sure that will be painful.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/i-just-succeeded-in-recreating-my-data-file-using-a-qif-export-import

BTW from what I have seen the "memory allocation errors" came in about two years ago, but in fact don't change the results one way or another.

You can backwards convert to 2007. . . only for cash & credit accounts. Investment accounts are ignored because this functionally came in the Quicken Essentials days (and Essentials did not support investment transactions).
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    QPW said:

Can you give me instructions on what I need to do for this? I have investment accounts but I can deal with that later. My checking, savings, and credit accounts are most important. Thank you.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    QPW said:

I actually did give you the best shot at it in the above links (ImportQEM)  John wrote most of the documentation and I wrote ImportQEM, and provide the website:
    edited May 2017
    QPW said:

Take your time and follow the instructions. It isn't hard, but you must follow each step exactly. 

Don't rush, and you should be fine. This program has been around about 6 years, and the people who have used it have had quite successful results.
This discussion has been closed.