PenFed accounts not updating

For many months now my PenFed accounts will not update.  I've tried resetting multiple times but no luck.  Some other posts have links to other possible solutions but those links appear to go nowhere.

Comments

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Have you gone to the PenFed register, click on the gear in the upper right and select "Update Now"?

That works some times to reset the download info.

BTW, I have a PenFed account and it downloads just fine...no errors.  

The other option might be to deactivate the account from downloads, close Quicken, reboot, reopen Quicken and then reactivate the account for downloads, making sure you LINK the connection and NOT add!
  • bill johnsonbill johnson Member
    edited November 2017
    Had the same problem months ago. Finally found what solved my problem, I had to give my PenFed accounts a nickname then they all downloaded. Hope this helps.
  • edited August 2017
    Mine works fine for a week or so. Then it quits. I deactivate and reactivate and then it works again for a week or so.
  • Pam FlaigPam Flaig Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've had the same problem for what seems like a year or more.   I have an auto loan, the default savings, and credit card.   The auto and savings claim to connect sometimes, but never really get any data.   The credit card I go to the site to manually download and import a file.   The really frustrating part is the auto loan, in quicken, will not allow me to disconnect from the login.   It's like stuck, maybe because it's attached to an asset account for the car?   I hoped moving from 2016 to 2018 would "reset" and fix these sort of these as I found in prior updates.   No such luck!   I've called Penfed and they offer no info on quicken direct connect
    edited November 2017

Had the same problem months ago. Finally found what solved my problem, I had to give my PenFed accounts a nickname then they all downloaded. Hope this helps.

nickname where?
    edited May 2018
    i had hoped that after closing a penfed loan, the credit account would update.  It seems the only way is to manually download transactions by statement.   Penfed customer service had no advise on plans for direct connect to work.  
  • luvboatingluvboating Member
    edited October 2018
    My PenFed accounts stopped updating recently.  Resetting the accounts didn't work.  I de-activated the accounts and upon trying to re-activate, I get the error: "unknown type" for the accounts and ignore.  Quicken reported that it did not receive enough information to add the account.  This has happened for over a week.  PenFed support was supposed to contact me back about this but has not.  Any ideas?
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

My PenFed accounts stopped updating recently.  Resetting the accounts didn't work.  I de-activated the accounts and upon trying to re-activate, I get the error: "unknown type" for the accounts and ignore.  Quicken reported that it did not receive enough information to add the account.  This has happened for over a week.  PenFed support was supposed to contact me back about this but has not.  Any ideas?

Quicken continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

If you wish to continue to use the Express Web Connect connection method,  you may want to attempt this sledgehammer approach compiled by Arctic Hare:

Most Express Web Connect connectivity issues can be resolved (permanently) by executing the procedure below. It is important that you follow procedure precisely. Don't skip steps or use alternate methods.Please post (detailed) results.

To start, as a diagnostic test, create a new Quicken file and try to set up your Express Web Connect downloads in the newly created file. If you can successfully download via EWC into the new file (and maintain the correct currency setting for all affected accounts), then deactivate the online connections in the test file and go back to your old/original file and complete the following procedure, being careful to follow it exactly and not skip any steps. If you were able to download into the new file, executing the following procedure will likely resolve your downloading issues. 

1. Create a copy of your data file using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    2. Open the newly created copy;
    3. Go into Tools-->Account List
    4. For all active Express Web Connect (EWC) connections, including Hidden accounts, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate". Before closing each Account Details dialogue box, delete the financial institution name and account number from the General tab. Note: you do not have to deactivate Direct Connect or Web Connect connections; leave those activated.
    5. Once you are done deactivating all EWC connections, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button or the "UPDATE ACCOUNTS" button (it is labelled differently between versions). [Note: some users cannot complete this step because they have an EWC LINKed mortgage account that can't be deactivated. If this applies to you, contact Quicken tech support for a method to deactivate the EWC connected mortgage]
    6. Close Quicken [don't skip this step]
    7. Re-open Quicken
    8. Create a copy of your data file using File Operations --> Copy;
    9. Open the newly created copy;
    10. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c" or anything starting with "TEMP", which don't appear in your account list or category list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup.
    11. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    12. Again, open the newly created file.
    13. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup.
    14. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    15. Again, open the newly created file.
    16. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    17. Go to the Online Centre. Hold the Ctrl+Shift+F3 keys and click Contact Info in the Online Center screen. This will bring up a list of all FI profiles contained in the data file. There should be no FI's in that list other than those associated with direct connect connections; i.e. if you use Express Web Connect or Web Connect to connect to a particular FI, then that FI should not appear in this list. If any FIs for which you use WC or EWC do show up, delete them from this list because it may help clear any invalid profiles from your data file. 
    18. Close Quicken.
    19. Reopen Quicken.
    20. Go to Account list, click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    21. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you LINK the accounts. It is critical that you pick the link account from the pick list even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically. Don't just accept the auto LINK.
    22. Once the setup process completes, you'll probably be back up and running
    23. You may have duplicate transactions, which you can accept into the register (if not accepting automatically) and delete
    Please post back with detailed results.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • luvboatingluvboating Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks.  It worked!
This discussion has been closed.