QWin: Turn off automatic software updates

I don't want software updates to be automatic when quicken starts up. Every time quicken does a software update, I have to disable and re-enable all of my bank accounts. At my credit union, that means over 20 accounts. It's quite a hassle. Until the quicken software designers and programmers come up with a better way to do software updates for us users, such that our banking accounts don't have to be reset like that, I don't want quicken to automatically update the software when it starts up.

Comments

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited June 2018
    I know that in Quicken 2017 there is NO way to turn off automatic updates.  Even if you get prompted that an update is available and say no, the next time you start Quicken up it automatically downloads the update.

The only way to NOT get automatic updates is to disconnect Quicken from an internet connection.

That's rather inconvenient...don't you think?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    You can also set the Windows UAC settings to require Windows to ask your permission to run any update and give you a chance to decline.

QW2016 has the same behavior now also, I don't have an installation of QW2015, so no eval on it.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Richard HallRichard Hall Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

I know that in Quicken 2017 there is NO way to turn off automatic updates.  Even if you get prompted that an update is available and say no, the next time you start Quicken up it automatically downloads the update.

The only way to NOT get automatic updates is to disconnect Quicken from an internet connection.

I also call it bad design and programming. These software companies really seem to think us users know almost nothing about these things and therefore they have to hold our hands and give us updates whether we want them or not.

They give us lots of options, but apparently not on things like updates. And then, when you get the update, you have to reset all of your bank accounts. Brilliant. Maybe it's just job security for their support department. But not a very friendly or helpful way to treat customers.

Quicken, start treating us customers as if we do actually know something about these things and give us a choice/option about installing updates. If it's to our detriment, then so be it, but it should still be out choice.

And if it's upper management's fault for such a design, the such management needs to change their thinking on this. If you want happier customers, then get with the program on things like this and give us a choice that we should have.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

There's other alternatives in the personal financial software market that don't have these issues.  
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Please let me know what they are. I just might switch if one of them does what I want.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Google "Personal finance software".
  • edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Or, tell us what you want.
  • edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Never mind. Google it. The mods are currently deleting posts that mention competing software. 
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

I'm looking for google personal finance software, but have also already downloaded  gnucash to try out. It is open source software. I was looking for something  similar to quicken, but I know my ultimate choice will likely be different enough to have a learning curve.
  • CavnaughCavnaugh Member
    edited January 2018
    gmalis1 said:

This also is a problem on Quicken 2018.

I takes all my Data Usage from my Phone.

I would rather be asked then be FORCED

• Brian FosterBrian Foster Member
    edited June 2018
    gmalis1 said:

Quicken USED to work just fine... now they are worse than Windows. Every time you need to work with it for 5-minutes, it takes 15-minutes to update. Less is more; and the company hasn't learned it yet.