Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken File Upgrade

UnknownUnknown Member
I am running Quicken 2017, but I have an older version of a file I want to upgrade.  I loaded version 2003 and 2004.  Neither works.  It is a QDB file.  

When I load it in Quicken 2004, the records say they are converting but I get a "Can't open file" error.

Any ideas?

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    The file after loading in 2004 gets a new file date, 05/18/2017.  So it is changing the file, but it just cannot open it.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I should add my file has a 6 character name.  It is not over 8 characters.  I am running Windows 10.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    QDB isn't an extension for a Quicken Windows file.  It might be an old QMac file OR it might be a Quickbooks file, OR it might be something else.

BUT, if you've got that file extension correct, QWin will never be able to open it as it wasn't created by any version of QWin.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I think you waited too long to think about data file conversion.

According to https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions a QDB file was created in Quicken Windows 5 or 6, before Quicken 1998 was created.

According to
    http://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken only files from Quicken 1998 or newer are supported.

edited May 2017

QDB isn't an extension for a Quicken Windows file.  It might be an old QMac file OR it might be a Quickbooks file, OR it might be something else.

BUT, if you've got that file extension correct, QWin will never be able to open it as it wasn't created by any version of QWin.

I just did a Google search on .QDB ... and it's POSSIBLE, that it's a backup file from an EXTREMELY old version of Q ... from version 5 or 6 (i.e., the QDos days)  QW2017 is version 26.
    https://fileinfo.com/extension/qdb

I still don't think that it can be opened ... but do a search at the top of this forum for converting OLD quicken files.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    It is definitely a post 1998 file.

I was able to convert several other files I had from that era without issues.  This file actually opens, and gives me the message "Quicken will automatically convert the following data file: to the Quicken 2004 format"

It then asks me "Do you want to continue with conversion?"

It gives me the message "Converting the QDF File", and a record count starts.

Then it says "can't open file".

Does any of that help?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    According to this article, it is a Quicken Win 5 or 6 file:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions

It may have been created later than that, but it is from one of those two versions and you would need a copy of Quicken 99 or 2000 at the latest to convert that file to something that Quicken 2004 could then read/convert.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited May 2017
    edrenckh said:

It is definitely a post 1998 file.

I was able to convert several other files I had from that era without issues.  This file actually opens, and gives me the message "Quicken will automatically convert the following data file: to the Quicken 2004 format"

It then asks me "Do you want to continue with conversion?"

It gives me the message "Converting the QDF File", and a record count starts.

Then it says "can't open file".

Does any of that help?

"from that era" is a pretty broad, and unspecific, period of time.

If you follow UKR's first link, you can see that if this file was from 1997 (i.e., ver 5/6) then it's too old.  Whereas if it's from 1998 (certainly within "that era") then it CAN be converted.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    edrenckh said:

I should add my file has a 6 character name.  It is not over 8 characters.  I am running Windows 10.

Hi @ edrenckh ,

What version of Quicken created this file, you are trying to open?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R31.20  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21322.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.804

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

edited May 2017
    edrenckh said:

@thecreator, it has already been determined (see UKR's 1st link, below) that this file is from Q 5 or 6 ... which has a program date of no later than 1997 ... and 1998 is the oldest product year that ANY modern Q product can read.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    edrenckh said:

I was always current on the Quicken versions that I used.  I successfully upgraded several that had similar time-stamps with the 2004 version.

The 2004 quicken actually said it was updating, and created a file with a current timestamp.  

It would be nice if I could open a file in note pad and see some indicator that would have a version.  Or a quicken link that would say a QDB file was from what year.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    splasher said:

According to this article, it is a Quicken Win 5 or 6 file:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions

It may have been created later than that, but it is from one of those two versions and you would need a copy of Quicken 99 or 2000 at the latest to convert that file to something that Quicken 2004 could then read/convert.

Thank you for the link!
This discussion has been closed.