Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Transfer Data from a dead Laptop

UnknownUnknown Member
Hello,

I am a PC Technician, recently I received an email from a client said that his laptop just died on him, and he went out and bought a new laptop + new Quicken 2017. He would like to transfer his Quicken 2010 from his dead laptop onto a new one...

I know for sure that I can pull the hard drive out and attend to pull the Quicken data files from there and hope for the best, and also know that I can't just run Quicken on his dead laptop right?! However, I rarely deal client with Quicken, so I am wondering where can I find the Quicken data files and Is Quicken does auto back up as well?! since my client had no clue with Quicken had saved all his transactions up to date before the laptop wen dead on him!

His dead laptop is running on Win 10 and so does his new laptop

thank you!

Comments

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The normal location for Quicken data files in is the Quicken folder in Documents. You also need to install Quicken 2013 first and convert the data to that version. You can then go to 2017. See this article (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken) for more information.

Greg
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The Quicken data files are *.QDF and *.QDF-backup.

If the user was making routine backups to other media, you could use the last one using Quicken's Restore on the File menu.

If the user wasn't making routine backups, then you need to stress the importance of making them in the future to removable media and that their recent computer failure is a perfect reason for making backups.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

The normal location for Quicken data files in is the Quicken folder in Documents. You also need to install Quicken 2013 first and convert the data to that version. You can then go to 2017. See this article (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken) for more information.

Greg

Note that the linked article refers to 2004 through 2009 going through 2013.  It does not present that requirement for 2010.  I would certainly try the direct conversion to 2017 before inserting the intermediate step of 2013.   
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for helping guys! I will stop by my client's home tmr to check it out. But, is Quicken will automatically saved the file every time you make a change for example input new transactions then close the program? He is afraid that his may lost his recent transactions that he inputted in couple days ago.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    jeff said:

Thanks for helping guys! I will stop by my client's home tmr to check it out. But, is Quicken will automatically saved the file every time you make a change for example input new transactions then close the program? He is afraid that his may lost his recent transactions that he inputted in couple days ago.

Yes, the program save the data as you enter data.  I have had the program crash on me and still found the recently entered data saved (though that is not a promise).  It also makes an automatic backup every 5th (user selectable even in 2010) time you close the program.  Those will be in a BACKUP folder below where the original file was stored.  
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    jeff said:

And...if he DID lose transactions from a few days ago...is that a tragedy?

He can just re-enter those transactions, and since it's just a few days it shouldn't take him long at all. 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    jeff said:

Thank you all for your inputs! I will give it a try tmr and get back to you how it will go!
This discussion has been closed.