Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Cannot open QDF file in Home & Business 2017

UnknownUnknown Member

I have Quicken Home and Business 2017 on my desktop PC. I created a QDF file and saved it to my network folder. On my laptop I installed the same version of Quicken. When I went to open the QDF, I got a message that it couldn't be opened and I needed to download Quicken 2004 and open the file there, uninstall the 2017 version and reinstall the 2017 version.

I did this but could not open it in the 2004 version. It told me to contact Intuit support.

Any ideas?

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Hello Sandy,

The first thing I would suggest would be to check the release versions of both your desktop and laptop version of Quicken 2017. To check the release, go into Help > About Quicken, should look like RX(xx.x.x).

If the versions are different you will want to make sure they are currently on the latest release version.

Quicken 2017 for Windows Update and Mondo Patch:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Once you've updated your Quicken to the latest release, try opening your file once more on your laptop. 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Don't put your Quicken data file in a network folder.  Data corruption can occur.

Put your Quicken data file back on a local drive on your laptop.  That should help, but if your file is corrupted you may have to restore a recent backup data file.  

If you insist on "sharing" your Quicken data file between two PC's, you'll have to:

1 Backup to a USB flash drive from one PC and Restore to the other.  Repeat when you are done.

OR

2 Install one of the free remote softwares that allow you to control another PC or Mac while using another device...even your iPhone or iPad.  TeamViewer is free and works very well.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Ed said:

Hello Sandy,

The first thing I would suggest would be to check the release versions of both your desktop and laptop version of Quicken 2017. To check the release, go into Help > About Quicken, should look like RX(xx.x.x).

If the versions are different you will want to make sure they are currently on the latest release version.

Quicken 2017 for Windows Update and Mondo Patch:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Once you've updated your Quicken to the latest release, try opening your file once more on your laptop. 

I have confirmed both computers had the same release version. I updated my laptop with the patch but I am still getting a message saying the file can't be converted because the data file was last used with: Quicken Unknown. I've attached a screenshot of the error. I've tried the steps in the screenshot but 2004 wouldn't open the file either.image
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Don't put your Quicken data file in a network folder.  Data corruption can occur.

Put your Quicken data file back on a local drive on your laptop.  That should help, but if your file is corrupted you may have to restore a recent backup data file.  

If you insist on "sharing" your Quicken data file between two PC's, you'll have to:

1 Backup to a USB flash drive from one PC and Restore to the other.  Repeat when you are done.

OR

2 Install one of the free remote softwares that allow you to control another PC or Mac while using another device...even your iPhone or iPad.  TeamViewer is free and works very well.

I actually saved the file to my onedrive folder from my desktop computer. Then downloaded the file to my desktop on my laptop. Would this still cause a corruption error?

I tried doing the restore step instead of opening the file but I get the same error (see screenshot)

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

OR

Yes, it can.  Most users recommend that you ZIP the .qdf file first prior to putting it in a Cloud based drive.  

Then, you'd have to unzip it after you re-download it to your local drive.

Hopefully, you have a current backup file.  Just copy the file to a USB drive and then restore it on your local drive on your laptop.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

OR

Thank you, I will try that next!
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

OR

OMG, you are a LIFESAVER! I zipped the file and them moved it to my onedrive I don't have a flash drive) then moved it to my laptop and unzipped and it WORKED. Thank you! I soooo needed my data and now I have it!
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

OR

On an unrelated topic, I'd suggest that you get a couple of flash drives (they're cheap, $8-$10) and use those as the target for your Q backups.

Should you backup to your hard drive only, and the hard drive croaks ... then you've got NO backups ... because the "croak" took the backups also.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

OR

Noted. ;)
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

OR

But she backed the file up to her One Drive...which is a Cloud based drive.

So...if her hard drive "croaks", it will always be in the cloud based drive.

BUT...she has to ZIP the file first and THEN copy it to One Drive.  
This discussion has been closed.