Can't update Online Payee List

One of my online payees has changed their mailing address. I cannot change the address (expected); Quicken tells me I must change the payee name or account number, but neither of those has changed. Any suggestions? Q 2017 Win Ver 6 Build 26.1.6.1

Comments

• Dennis@1[email protected] Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    I don't get it. Mine lets me edit the address. Try deleting it and creating a new payee with the updated address.
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited May 2017
    Dennis said:

I don't get it. Mine lets me edit the address. Try deleting it and creating a new payee with the updated address.

Did that - it still thinks the old one is there.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ George Ludden ,

Delete the Payee. Close the Online Payee Window. Run One Step Update. Close and Re-open Quicken and now create a new Online Payee with the new Information. It will now work.
  • BarbBarb Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Hi @ George Ludden ,

Delete the Payee. Close the Online Payee Window. Run One Step Update. Close and Re-open Quicken and now create a new Online Payee with the new Information. It will now work.

How convenient!
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited May 2017

Hi @ George Ludden ,

Nope - get the same error message.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Hi @ George Ludden ,

My recollection is you can change the address. I would try restoring from a backup taken before you deleted the online payee and try changing the address once again.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited December 2018
    Didn't help.
    edited May 2017
    George said:

Didn't help.

Hi @ George Ludden ,

Have all the Online Payee Transactions, been cleared, yet? That you are trying to delete?
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited May 2017

Hi @ George Ludden ,

Nope - that didn't work.
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited October 2017
    George said:

Didn't help.

I was able to delete (at least visually) the Payee from the list. But if I go back in to try to reenter it, it remembers the old address and won't let me change it. It looks like it's buried somewhere in the database that I don't have access to. I tried Validate and Repair; that didn't help.
    edited January 15
    This works for me:

1. Under the Tools menu open "Online Payee List" window.
    2. Select desired Payee
    3. Click "Edit" at bottom of Payee window.

I can now change the address and phone number for the selected Payee. I cannot change the name or account number.

If you have pending online payments to this payee, you will not be able to edit the address until the pending payment is cleared. Or you could cancel the pending payment, edit the address and re-issue the payment.
    edited May 2017
    George said:

Didn't help.

Hi @ George Ludden ,

Did you run One Step Update, on the Account that you uploads checks on?
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited May 2017
    George said:

Didn't help.

Yes
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited May 2017
    Dennis said:

This works for me:

2. Select desired Payee

I can now change the address and phone number for the selected Payee. I cannot change the name or account number.

If you have pending online payments to this payee, you will not be able to edit the address until the pending payment is cleared. Or you could cancel the pending payment, edit the address and re-issue the payment.

The payee does not show in the list at all. There are no pending payments.
    edited May 2017
    Dennis said:

This works for me:

2. Select desired Payee

I understand you have deleted the payee by now. Re-create the payee with the old address and see if you can then edit the address by the above method. Last resort, create a new payee with the new address,  but include an innocuous character like ' or ` to the end of payee or account number.
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited May 2017
    Dennis said:

This works for me:

2. Select desired Payee

It won't let me recreate the original address; I get the same error message shown above. I guess I'll try the last resort. But it worries me a bit that there is something wrong in the database.
    edited May 2017
    Dennis said:

This works for me:

2. Select desired Payee

Hi @ George Ludden ,

Okay, now restore your last Manual Backup. Then Click File to File Operations and finally to Validate and Repair. See if you have any errors.

Then run One Step Update after correcting any errors.

Now do a Manual Backup. After it is completed, see if you can edit the address of the Online Payee. If you can't, then delete it. Run One Step Update again.

Close Quicken and shut down the computer.

Start the computer back up. Open Quicken. Now try to create a new Online Payee with that New Address.
  • JAYJAY Member
    edited October 2017
    George said:

Didn't help.

why should you have to do all of this to simply change an address or amount
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited January 2018
    This problem has been haunting me as well - especially after upgrading to the 2018 version and having to re-setup bill pay.
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited November 2017
    Paul said:

This problem has been haunting me as well - especially after upgrading to the 2018 version and having to re-setup bill pay.

We really need a solution to this issue.
  • MikeMike Member
    edited February 2018
    I have this problem as well.  I spent some time with customer support and they are aware of the problem and have alerted the developer.  It will help if more people respond to this chain.  They monitor how many complaints they get and act on the most active problems.  So...Please expand this discussion and also call customer support.  
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Another approach would be to change the address on the bank's website. I do my bill pay via Bank of America, and can edit payee info there. After a One Step Update, the new info appears in Quicken.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • Robin MartinRobin Martin Member
    edited February 2018

Another approach would be to change the address on the bank's website. I do my bill pay via Bank of America, and can edit payee info there. After a One Step Update, the new info appears in Quicken.

My husband has another account at B of A for a trust from before we were married. This account is not included in our Quicken accounts. We need to change an address for a payee from this account. When I try to change it on the Bank website, I get the following error message:
    We can't change the name of the company or person you want to pay because your Bill Pay account is associated with another financial software package, such as Quicken. Change the name in the financial software package.
    1. this payee doesn't show up in my Quicken so I am unable to change it in the software.
    2. I am only changing the address NOT the name so this error shouldn't even apply to this case.
    3. even if I started fresh and entered the payee into Quicken, it does me no good because I don't run the account it pays from through my Quicken.
    Is this a Quicken issue or a Bank of America online issue?
    If I can't fix the address, how do I dis-associate BofA Bill Pay from my software? 
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

De-activate all your B of A accounts for transaction download. Close Quicken just for luck. Then go to the B of A site and change the payee address. Once that is successful, reopen Quicken and re-activate the B of A accounts you want to communicate with Quicken.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
    edited February 2018

Hi @ Robin Martin ,

Do you have a Bank of America Direct Connect Connection?
    Are you paying Bills through Quicken and Bank of America?
    Can you see your Husband's Trust from a single Website login to all the Accounts you have in Quicken?
    You stated:  My husband has another account at B of A for a trust from before we were
    married. This account is not included in our Quicken accounts. We need
    to change an address for a payee from this account.
    In order to change the Address, you need to log into Bank of America and be able  to view this Account.
This discussion has been closed.