Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QWin 2013: Need Help moving my copy of Quicken Home and Office 2013 software from my old computer to

UnknownUnknown Member
I want to move my copy of Quicken Home and Office 2013 software from my old Windows 7 computer to a new one with Windows 10. I am NOT asking how to move the Backup file. My purchase of QH&O was more than 3 years ago and not available through my Quicken account

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

How to download and install Quicken (again) after you
    bought it

If you don't have an
    installation CD or you didn't save a copy of the downloaded installation file
    on your hard drive (in Windows typically in a "Downloads" folder) or,
    even better, on some external storage media (USB stick or external hard drive)
    please follow these instructions:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

There is a special link in the above webpage to follow if you purchased Quicken
    from Intuit.com before 7/18/2016. Expand the "what if I don't see my
    software..." header. Click the word "here" for more
    details.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please contact Quicken Support at the link
    provided in the webpage.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    UKR
    I've been down this rabbit hole already.  As I said, the purchase was over 3 years ago and there's no trace of it when I follow the links you thoughtfully included.  I originally did a digital download of the Quicken software through Dell and never got a CD.  With over 3 years past any installation file is long  gone from any download folder.  Can you tell me the name of the installation file so I can search my hard drive to see if it's there somewhere?  Thanks!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

In that case, if you can't find a saved download file, usually in the Downloads folder and named something like Quicken_Home_Business_2013.exe and if Dell doesn't have it for you either ...

• Try to find and purchase a copy of Q 2013 H&B from a reputable Internet retailer like Amazon.
    • Purchase and install a copy of Q 2017 H&B instead

• If you have a hardcopy receipt of your original purchase, contact Quicken Support and see if they might be willing to give you a replacement. The link I gave you has instructions for that, too.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    As a result of rummaging around following your replies I got into notes from the old computer purchase and saw that, in fact, I got a CD of the software, not the digital download I was remembering!  Lo and behold the CD was with paper records so I can just install off the disc! Duoh!
    Thanks for helping out!
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Matt,

Did you come over from the Turbo Tax forum? After you get 2013 installed you will need to update it. You won't be able to update it through Quicken. But One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenp...
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Yup, I'm 'that guy' from the Turbo Tax forum. 
    Can you tell me what the recommended updates are for?  The reason I'm so adamant about moving the 2013 version is precisely that I DON'T WANT updates and upgrades, I just want to continue using Quicken for basic household bookkeeping like I've been happily doing for the past 4 years.  I have a strong aversion to all the online/cloud googahs that are constantly shoved at me, so if I don't need to update I'm positively not going to.
    Thanks for your continued attention to my little peccadillo... this online forum is very helpful and useful and I appreciate all who have weighed in on my behalf :-)
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, I'm staying with 2013 also. You should install the release patches. Check your program and see what release no. you have now. For some of the years you have to install the patches or it may not open your data. You have to be at the same release level.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Install just finished after working on this for the better part of 2 DAYS? WWHHHOOTTTT :-) and everything, including updates and backup file restoration, all from the original installation CD, looks like it went seamlessly.  Thanks again for responsive help!
    BTW I'm sticking with 2013 because I have it and I'm used to working with it but I'm curious why you, someone who is obviously passionate about Quicken, would be 'staying with 2013 also.'?
    edited May 2017
    I don't want to download my bank transactions or go online for anything. I'm fine with manually entering my checkbook and investments. I still handwrite checks to pay bills. I only have 1 credit card. I would still be on Q2004 but it finally crashed and wouldn't run anymore.

Starting in 2014 they implemented an Intuit ID so you need to use that to even open your data.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited August 2018
    It's good to know I'm not the only one who likes a few things just plain left alone!  I suppose it's only a matter of time before it becomes irreparably broken leaving us to figure out a new normal when it does.  Long live Quicken 2013...
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

It's good to know I'm not the only one who likes a few things just plain left alone!  I suppose it's only a matter of time before it becomes irreparably broken leaving us to figure out a new normal when it does.  Long live Quicken 2013...

Keep in mind that in an absolute worst case, you can always install a VM with whatever Windows version is needed to run QW2013, then run it indefinitely. 

Requires a little know-how but it is not that hard. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017

Sadly I  have no idea what 'install with a VM' even means but it's good to know there's a long-term solution.  Thanks.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Sorry...VM=Virtual Machine...simply it is a special software that allows you to run another copy of Windows in its own "environment" on your computer, effectively running Windows on top of Windows. After all, Windows is just another piece of software (just has more parts to it). Or another way to think of is like having another computer installed "inside" your computer.

Simplified steps are: install the VM software (available from Microsoft and others), install your desired flavour of Windows "inside" the VM, then install Quicken inside the same VM. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017

Ok, thanks... I hope I don't ever have to resort to this but as I said it's good to know there's a long-term work around :-)
This discussion has been closed.