Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken Mac 2017 Reconcile Off

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Just upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2015 to 2017.  Prior to the upgrade my reconciliation for all accounts was pretty flawless.  Now this first month with 2017 every account I'm reconciling is off.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    There have been reports of erroneous placeholder transactions getting added when upgrading to 2017. Look at the beginning (datewise) of the register for placeholder transactions. They will appear in light gray with "placeholder" in the memo. Try deleting them and see if that helps.

Probably best to work in a copy of your data file until you are sure you've got it sorted out.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Also keep in mind that 2015 didn't figure in your actual account running balance into the reconcile. You running balance could have been way off, but as long as the ending/starting balances and cleared transactions were correct, you would balance. The newer versions actually take into affect your running balance. So, for some, this newer reconcile uncovers some past mistakes. 

You may end up having to take the adjustment(s) to move forward. That is, unless you wish to go back and figure out where the original problem was.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Also keep in mind that 2015 didn't figure in your actual account running balance into the reconcile. You running balance could have been way off, but as long as the ending/starting balances and cleared transactions were correct, you would balance. The newer versions actually take into affect your running balance. So, for some, this newer reconcile uncovers some past mistakes. 

You may end up having to take the adjustment(s) to move forward. That is, unless you wish to go back and figure out where the original problem was.

Yes, there was a change starting with QM2016 v3.5. See fi this Article helps:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-v3-5-reconcile-troubleshooting

Meanwhile, this whole process would be far easier with the following feature which would identify discrepancies and also allow re-reconciling a period when needed. You may want to add your VOTE to Track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Reconciliation Process. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    RickO said:

There have been reports of erroneous placeholder transactions getting added when upgrading to 2017. Look at the beginning (datewise) of the register for placeholder transactions. They will appear in light gray with "placeholder" in the memo. Try deleting them and see if that helps.

Probably best to work in a copy of your data file until you are sure you've got it sorted out.

Thx RickO.  I scrolled to beginning and nothing odd there.  While scrolling I did see that some transactions that were previously reconciled are now not.  Also, some transactions that were reviewed previously are now not.  Since these were within the past 2 years of the data and I have been using Quicken Mac 2015 to reconcile all accounts each month, I'm certain this is a Quicken quality issue, not a user error.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017

Thx, good article.  I started with a fresh set of data in Quicken Mac 2015 and have been using reconcile on all my accounts each month and make sure they balance.  So IF as the article says that now with 2016 or 2017's new reconcile feature a user's balance is off it is probably transactions that have not been caught before.  I'm wondering about that since I use the review and the reconcile feature each month and it seems odd that after less than 3 years there would still be so many phantom unreconciled and/or unreviewed features.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks John!
  • smayer97
    edited July 2017
    RickO said:

Could very well be that it is a Quicken quality issue as you are not the first to report such occurrences. Happens in QM2007 too. Short of Quicken identifying the root cause of such issues, the one solution that helps deal with this VERY easily, from a user perspective is feature I listed below, here

Of course, this feature does not only assist in addressing this issue but a few others, as listed in the description. It has helps MANY times with QM2007. It would help with the current version of QMac too. Be sure to add your vote. Your vote matters!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Add your vote here:

(

• smayer97
    edited June 2017

As you mentioned above, if you had some reconciled transactions whose status got changed, that will definitely affect all future reconciliation until they are addressed. The article by Quicken does not address this well. 

If you know exactly which transactions they are, you can reset their status manually; one way is by Option-Clicking the CLR field to set each correctly. 

One of the capabilities of the feature request I point out above is to simply quickly identify the aberrant transactions, then allowing to actually re-perform a reconciliation for the applicable period.

Add your vote here:

(

This discussion has been closed.