Unknown Account Type in Express Web Connect and EWC not downloading transactions

Comments

• edited June 2017

Ok, I managed to get somewhere on my end regarding transactions not downloading via EWC.

So, I knew for a fact that today there were cleared transactions available for download. Yes, one step update reports 0 transactions to download.

So I had two choices.

Either wait out the problem for Quicken to resolve it and get around this problem by using plain old Web Connect OR deactivate and reactivate EWC and see what happens.

Well my friends, I tried a different approach altogether today.

I have only two accounts (yes I'm poor): Chequing and Savings account

So, I went into the Account List

The order of the accounts is important to mention.

The first account listed in the Accounts List is my CHEQUINGS Account

The 2nd account is my SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

So, I went into the properties of the SAVINGS ACCOUNT and instead of deactivating EWC, I chose RESET ACCOUNT.

Clicked on RESET ACCOUNT.

Prompts me for my RBC password.

After a few secs, a window pop up and asks me which of the 2 accounts listed below is the savings account.

Basically, it had two options for me to choose:

1. Savings (Account # listed here)
    2. None of the above.

I chose #1, which is the correct one.

I then clicked ok and off Quicken goes to communicate with the server.

And that was it, no error messages or anything. The dialog box with the above choices disappeared and returned me back to the ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE or RESET ACCOUNT page for the savings account.

So I clicked OK and went to the CHEQUINGS account and performed the same steps.

I clicked on RESET ACCOUNT.

It now comes up with the same dialog box as it did for the SAVINGS account but here is where I found a BUG.

It asks me which of the following accounts listed below is the correct one for the CHEQUING account.

It should have listed the following:

1. Chequing Account (account # listed here)
    2. None of the above

BUT instead it showed this:

1. Savings Account (account # listed here)
    2. None of the above.

So, I had to choose #2 - None of the above because the Chequing account option was not listed.

Pressed OK and Quicken communicated with the server and then the dialog box disappeared.

Ok, that seemed a little suspicious and I kinda suspected that there might be a problem in the future because Quicken was unable to link to the Chequing account. So maybe it has retained it's old value or the value of that variable in Quicken's API is now NULL.

I decide to try ONE STEP UPDATE and see what happens.

This time, I get an ERROR CC-501 on both Chequing and Savings account and it states that the Quicken Server team has been notified.

Ok, I thought. Resetting the accounts didn't work after all, so I might as well try deactivating EWC and try setting it up again from scratch for both Chequing and Savings account.

So off I go into the Account List again and I head for my Chequing account and click Deactivate.

Then it communicates with the server for a few secs and comes back and tells me that it CAN'T deactivate the account now because there are transactions in the register that have been downloaded and need to be accepted!

AHA!

So it did work!

So what does this tell me. I think server side, for my situation with my simple account setup, it seems to be ok but rather Quicken client side is having problems interpreting the information downloaded from the server and that is what is causing these errors. Maybe some flags are not being turned on or off as needed and causing confusion for the application. Just a thought...

So now I go into my Chequing and Savings registers and see that both accounts have transactions that have to be accepted. And I looked at them and they are the correct transactions that needed to be downloaded so that part of the application works as it should.

So after accepting the transactions, I decide to try resetting the Chequing and Savings account again and see what happens.

Reset the Chequing account - I get the dialog box that prompts me which account it the Chequing account from the list. I chose the only account listed - Chequing - and clicked OK.

I then did the same for the SAVINGS account. But the dialog box didn't show me the SAVINGS account as an option, only the Chequing account. So I clicked: None of the above.

and unfortunately, I can't remember what I did from that point on but it was just a few extra steps but what I have just told you guys should give you some insight as to what may be causing the problem.

@Artic: Nope! Just tried what you suggested and with screenshots.

So, I reset the chequing account and got Screen shot #2.

Then I go to add a chequing account and I get screen shot #3.imageimage
  • edited June 2017

Ok, I managed to get somewhere on my end regarding transactions not downloading via EWC.

So, I knew for a fact that today there were cleared transactions available for download. Yes, one step update reports 0 transactions to download.

So I had two choices.

Either wait out the problem for Quicken to resolve it and get around this problem by using plain old Web Connect OR deactivate and reactivate EWC and see what happens.

So, I went into the properties of the SAVINGS ACCOUNT and instead of deactivating EWC, I chose RESET ACCOUNT.

After a few secs, a window pop up and asks me which of the 2 accounts listed below is the savings account.

2. None of the above.

And that was it, no error messages or anything. The dialog box with the above choices disappeared and returned me back to the ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE or RESET ACCOUNT page for the savings account.

It now comes up with the same dialog box as it did for the SAVINGS account but here is where I found a BUG.

It asks me which of the following accounts listed below is the correct one for the CHEQUING account.

2. None of the above

2. None of the above.

So, I had to choose #2 - None of the above because the Chequing account option was not listed.

Pressed OK and Quicken communicated with the server and then the dialog box disappeared.

Ok, that seemed a little suspicious and I kinda suspected that there might be a problem in the future because Quicken was unable to link to the Chequing account. So maybe it has retained it's old value or the value of that variable in Quicken's API is now NULL.

This time, I get an ERROR CC-501 on both Chequing and Savings account and it states that the Quicken Server team has been notified.

Ok, I thought. Resetting the accounts didn't work after all, so I might as well try deactivating EWC and try setting it up again from scratch for both Chequing and Savings account.

So off I go into the Account List again and I head for my Chequing account and click Deactivate.

Then it communicates with the server for a few secs and comes back and tells me that it CAN'T deactivate the account now because there are transactions in the register that have been downloaded and need to be accepted!

AHA!

So it did work!

So what does this tell me. I think server side, for my situation with my simple account setup, it seems to be ok but rather Quicken client side is having problems interpreting the information downloaded from the server and that is what is causing these errors. Maybe some flags are not being turned on or off as needed and causing confusion for the application. Just a thought...

So now I go into my Chequing and Savings registers and see that both accounts have transactions that have to be accepted. And I looked at them and they are the correct transactions that needed to be downloaded so that part of the application works as it should.

So after accepting the transactions, I decide to try resetting the Chequing and Savings account again and see what happens.

Reset the Chequing account - I get the dialog box that prompts me which account it the Chequing account from the list. I chose the only account listed - Chequing - and clicked OK.

I then did the same for the SAVINGS account. But the dialog box didn't show me the SAVINGS account as an option, only the Chequing account. So I clicked: None of the above.

and unfortunately, I can't remember what I did from that point on but it was just a few extra steps but what I have just told you guys should give you some insight as to what may be causing the problem.

So no unknown account types are appearing.
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

So I had two choices.

2. None of the above.

2. None of the above

2. None of the above.

AHA!

So it did work!

@John_B: Your account setup setup looks perfect. When mine looks like your screen shot (albeit with 10 accounts), EWC works flawlessly. For me, there is perfect correlation between the appearance of Unknown Type accounts and EWC functionality problems. On a side note, I have now added a second account to EWC since executing the steps I described here and, at least so far, I am free of Unknown Tyoe accounts and EWC is working fine - for those two accounts. The QIF export and import process is not perfect though; I expect it will take me 40 hours or so to clean up duplicate transactions and redo reconciliations, etc... but that is a far cry better than starting from scratch given the complexity of my Quicken setup.
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited June 2017
    rlpinia said:

Great summary.  And thorough too!  I've been experiencing EWC issues since last fall. After finally concluding it may be related to Win10 compatibility with Quicken Premier 2015 I upgraded to 2016. I guess it was hope.  The problem persisted across all EWC accounts.  I spent time on a couple of Chat sessions diagnosing client file corruption etc.  

They sent me to my FI saying it was an issue with them.  It was not.  After a couple more support sessions all but one EWC account would work as they had for years before.

The Veridian CU issues persisted. If they got connected and download they would no longer connect or download after a couple of days.  At that CU my wife and i have 3 member accounts each using its own set of credentials.  Each member account has multiple account types under it.  All of these are in one client data file so each OSU would try to connecting to all of them.  

I created a new data file and added one member account and it worked.  I created another new data file and added 2 member accounts and finally added another with all 3 member accounts.  I now had new test data files with only the problem accounts and no categories and it worked.  For a couple of days when the problem returned to each data file. If they would activate they would not download.  When I deactivated and reactivated I would get the 'unknown type' with each OSU.

I was finally connected to 2 engineers in Bangalore who took on the problem.  We've spent several hours using Webex to test and diagnose over the last several weeks.  They gather the logs and attempt other possibilities.  It seemed as if we were going backward and not forward in progressing toward root cause.  Late last week a new guy was brought into our meeting and noticed immediately that I had a rather uncommon situation.  

As mentioned above, I have 3 member accounts at the one problem FI and each has multiple accounts.  To be precise, two of them have four accounts (checking, savings, Visa, etc.) while the other has eleven accounts under it (CD's, etc).  His theory is that multiple member accounts with multiple accounts being accessed in one update was hitting limits established for security purposes.

They made changes and we have now successfully activated and downloaded transactions for 2 of the 3 member accounts. I can only activate 1 member per day to avoid the triggers so tomorrow will be the big and hopefully final test to see if the 3rd member account with 11 accounts under will activate and download.  So far his theory is proving out and you touched on it on your comments above.  

It sounds as though they have lots of scripts working in the background.  I envision a bowl of spaghetti making it all work.  I don't mean that to be critical but am told they are working on changes to the architecture to improve EWC which is recognized as problematic. 

In one of our early working meetings they discovered the "temp_accounts" that had been created along the way.  They sent me a .exe file that is a backdoor to the client data file.  That backdoor allowed us to see and delete the "temp_ accounts.  If you can get a support tech to work you through that it might be helpful to discover what your situation might be. 

Good luck.  

Sorry I'm not seeing the steps you refer to.  I have created new data files and transferred validated historical data into them.  The file I have been working with for the past few weeks is one of those.  This one has been the closest one to working.  

This morning all accounts appeared to connect correctly and only some account trans were downloaded.  So there are still issues between the CU, Quicken and me. We've ruled out corruption at the client since they feel they know root cause.  It getting the root cause fixed that is still WIP. 
    edited June 2017
    rlpinia said:

Great summary.  And thorough too!  I've been experiencing EWC issues since last fall. After finally concluding it may be related to Win10 compatibility with Quicken Premier 2015 I upgraded to 2016. I guess it was hope.  The problem persisted across all EWC accounts.  I spent time on a couple of Chat sessions diagnosing client file corruption etc.  

They sent me to my FI saying it was an issue with them.  It was not.  After a couple more support sessions all but one EWC account would work as they had for years before.

The Veridian CU issues persisted. If they got connected and download they would no longer connect or download after a couple of days.  At that CU my wife and i have 3 member accounts each using its own set of credentials.  Each member account has multiple account types under it.  All of these are in one client data file so each OSU would try to connecting to all of them.  

I created a new data file and added one member account and it worked.  I created another new data file and added 2 member accounts and finally added another with all 3 member accounts.  I now had new test data files with only the problem accounts and no categories and it worked.  For a couple of days when the problem returned to each data file. If they would activate they would not download.  When I deactivated and reactivated I would get the 'unknown type' with each OSU.

I was finally connected to 2 engineers in Bangalore who took on the problem.  We've spent several hours using Webex to test and diagnose over the last several weeks.  They gather the logs and attempt other possibilities.  It seemed as if we were going backward and not forward in progressing toward root cause.  Late last week a new guy was brought into our meeting and noticed immediately that I had a rather uncommon situation.  

As mentioned above, I have 3 member accounts at the one problem FI and each has multiple accounts.  To be precise, two of them have four accounts (checking, savings, Visa, etc.) while the other has eleven accounts under it (CD's, etc).  His theory is that multiple member accounts with multiple accounts being accessed in one update was hitting limits established for security purposes.

They made changes and we have now successfully activated and downloaded transactions for 2 of the 3 member accounts. I can only activate 1 member per day to avoid the triggers so tomorrow will be the big and hopefully final test to see if the 3rd member account with 11 accounts under will activate and download.  So far his theory is proving out and you touched on it on your comments above.  

It sounds as though they have lots of scripts working in the background.  I envision a bowl of spaghetti making it all work.  I don't mean that to be critical but am told they are working on changes to the architecture to improve EWC which is recognized as problematic. 

In one of our early working meetings they discovered the "temp_accounts" that had been created along the way.  They sent me a .exe file that is a backdoor to the client data file.  That backdoor allowed us to see and delete the "temp_ accounts.  If you can get a support tech to work you through that it might be helpful to discover what your situation might be. 

Good luck.  

@Roger: IF you see "Unknown Type" listed as the account type for one or more of your CU accounts in EWC setup, you could try the following, which has resolved the "Unknown Type" issue for me on several (but not all) occasions:
    1. Create a copy of your data file using File Operations --> Copy;
    2. Open the newly created copy;
    3. Perform a file validate; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c", which don't appear in my account list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup.
    4. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    5. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the Unknown Type in the EWC setup.
    6. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    7. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    The above process successfully resolved the Unknown Type account in EWC setup issue for me most of the time. When the above process didn't work, I first need to export all my data using the QIF export method, import the data into a new file and then use the above process repeatedly as I set up the accounts for download again in EWC setup.

The combination of the QIF export/import into a brand new file and running the above cycle in iterations seems to be allowing me to restore EWC functionality. I still do have a mess to clean up because the QIF export/import process is not perfect. But, it is a better option than starting from a blank file and manually recreating all of my securities, accounts, scheduled transactions, etc.

My EWC issues are tightly correlated with the appearance of "Unknown Type" accounts in the EWC setup. When I get things in state where there are no "Unknown Type" accounts in EWC setup then EWC downloads flawlessly for me. So, my concerns are how to clear and prevent the data file corruption that presents "Unknown Type" as symptom... and that is what it is, a symptom, not the root cause of the issue(s).
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited June 2017
    rlpinia said:

Good luck.  

Thanks.  I've performed 'validate' and 'super validate' on multiple files and not found corruption or errors beyond the early 'temp_accounts' and a couple of trans that needed attention.  Once those were cleared out I've stayed with same file, being confident the root and focus is on scripting and triggers at Quicken.  
    edited June 2017
    rlpinia said:

Good luck.  

I found that performing the File_Operation-->Copy operation before performing a Validate (or SuperValidate) sometimes enables Validate to find issues that Validate could not find before/without the File_Operations-->Copy. Put another way, the File_Operations-->Copy steps in the above are actually part of flushing out the problem transactions, not just a means of being able to back track if something goes wrong. While I don't know what's happening "behind the scenes" with the File_Operations-->Copy command, it's copy process is evidently different from Save_As and different from Backup_File. File_Operations-->Copy carries out the copy in a way that can reveal and/or leave behind corruption. It appears to copy transactions one-by-one.
    edited December 2018
    UPDATE: I have now managed to restore EWC functionality with four of my bank accounts (savings, chequing, credit card) under one of two client card numbers. I found more evidence of bad/phantom/temp accounts (i.e. ACCT_24 and ACCT_2c), but I think/hope I've got all of those cleaned up now. EWC has been running without errors and without any "Unknown Type" accounts for a couple days. Hopefully, it stays stable this week as new transactions become available for download this week.

In the meantime, I am working at cleaning up the artifacts left behind by the QIF export/import cycle. The QIF export/import cycle handles most things well, but there are certain transactions it completely bungles. For example, the QIF export/import process doesn't transfer scheduled transactions (e.g. payroll deposits, bill reminders, etc.). It also completely messes up contributions to Savings Goal accounts. The contributions to savings goals become regular (hard) transfers out instead of soft transfers or commitments to a savings goal. A messy process, but it allowed me to keep my transaction history and my investment setup, including securities, while stripping out the corruption.
  • RexterRexter Member
    edited June 2017

@John: Now that your EWC is malfunctioning again, would you please share whether you now see any "Unknown Type" listed in your EWC setup dialogue box (where you would ADD, IGNORE, or LINK an account)?

BTW, I am now getting inconsistent behaviour using EWC with RBC RoyalBank. Without changing anything, it various runs OK (or seems to), or reports an Error CC-506 with one of my RBC Royal Bank Credit Cards, and/or tells me it can't find one of my accounts anymore. In the latter case, it asks me if I've closed the account, which I haven't.

Thus, I too got less than 2 weeks of functionality out of the new account. I still had a long way to go with accepting transactions into the new account and it is unstable.

I again raise the question: do the people who matter and could affect change at Quicken understand how badly impacted a large portion of their user base is by unreliable EWC behaviour. I think we can safely assume that front line phone and chat tech support are not doing an effective job of communicating these issues to people who could take action. You've experienced it, I've experienced it, we've read about others experiencing it, front line tech support readily comes to the conclusion it is a bank problem and tells their client to go take the issue up with the bank.... which, almost invariably, accomplishes nothing.

How do we get the people with authority to take action to take note of these EWC issues that are affecting many users?

Thanks Artic Hare.  After reading the posts and  knowing that I have seem temp accounts listed to link to (but don't show up in the account list, with show hidden checked) and the statement in my log file under the FI saying something like user has exceeded the maximum number of accounts, I called quicken support.  Told them everything and they ignored it of courses, so after 5 hours of redoing everything I have tried and a few new things, they said sorry. 

After that ordeal, since I had a new test file that the trouble accounts worked in, I played with exporting and importing and I had a new file that worked. Unfortunately I have found more and more things that are not setup.  I had to reclose and hide about 30 accounts that I have closed over the years, re-initiate online setup for every FI but what is killing me now is all of my mortgages are no longer loans, just liability accounts.  I can set up a new loan but can't move any of the transactions to the new loan.

So while I fixed my original problem, it seems I am still kind ofhung out to dry.  I wish there was some way to edit the file to remove the temp accounts but I can't see them anywhere and I have found no way to open to file to edit.

I will try your steps and see if I fare any better.  Thank you
    edited June 2017

@John: Now that your EWC is malfunctioning again, would you please share whether you now see any "Unknown Type" listed in your EWC setup dialogue box (where you would ADD, IGNORE, or LINK an account)?

BTW, I am now getting inconsistent behaviour using EWC with RBC RoyalBank. Without changing anything, it various runs OK (or seems to), or reports an Error CC-506 with one of my RBC Royal Bank Credit Cards, and/or tells me it can't find one of my accounts anymore. In the latter case, it asks me if I've closed the account, which I haven't.

Thus, I too got less than 2 weeks of functionality out of the new account. I still had a long way to go with accepting transactions into the new account and it is unstable.

I again raise the question: do the people who matter and could affect change at Quicken understand how badly impacted a large portion of their user base is by unreliable EWC behaviour. I think we can safely assume that front line phone and chat tech support are not doing an effective job of communicating these issues to people who could take action. You've experienced it, I've experienced it, we've read about others experiencing it, front line tech support readily comes to the conclusion it is a bank problem and tells their client to go take the issue up with the bank.... which, almost invariably, accomplishes nothing.

How do we get the people with authority to take action to take note of these EWC issues that are affecting many users?

@Rexter: I'm in the same boat as you... and I've been through this process of patching the holes left behind from export/import cycle twice. Those holes include (at a minimum) the following:
    • all attachments are left behind;
    • certain split transactions get broken out out into multiple transactions;
    • mortgages become liabilities with no ability to repair (close and replace with new mortgage);
    • savings goals cease to be savings goals; they must be deleted and recreated, losing the full transaction history;
    • brokerage accounts and related securities that were denominated in some currency other than my default (Canadian) get switched to USD and the option to switch the currency back is greyed out, causing the value of these holdings to be wrong by more than 30%; I was able to fix this by exporting the transactions from the one account, recreating the brokerage account and importing the transactions into the recreated account;
    • all asset allocations are stripped out of securities, leaving all the securities (in my case over 50 of them) as undefined.
    • some reconciled transactions appear unreconciled after export/import;
    • some transfers don't make it through the export/import cycle.
    I doubt that I've covered all of the collateral damage caused by the export/import cycle. In my case, fixing this collateral damage could easily take 40 hours. In contrast, reacting my file from scratch, without recreating transactions, just the structure, would, I estimate, take at least double that time (e.g. 80 - 100 hours).

And my estimates of effort to "patch up" holes left behind from export/import is only to restore minimum functionality. The first time I did the export/import cycle, I left behind years of transaction history.

What should be inferred here is that this "Unknown Type" issue is a MAJOR problem that has huge implications on those of us that are afflicted... and I truly suspect the number of affected users is quite high. Most people affected will never figure out what happened and will never get far enough to discover this post.

Yes, there is a better way to remove the "Unknown Type" accounts. Quicken has a tool that provides access to the data file, which facilitates manual deletion of the temp accounts that don't appear in the account list. However, good luck getting access to the tool or getting someone to fix your file for you. Many users have experienced/learned that tech support simply blames the problem on your FI and tells you to start a new file. Thanks.

I do hope that more users that are afflicted by the terrible "Unknown Type" disease weigh in on the conversation here. Even though Quicken staff have avoided commenting on this thread, I suspect they are reading it. Of course, that still begs the question, will Product Development, the people who need to read and consider this thread carefully, actually read it and come to understand the magnitude of the problem?

Please keep sharing! You are not alone in this problem!!
    edited January 11
    I was able to catch Quicken "red handed" in the act of creating temp accounts during an EWC update. I managed to get screen shots from the OSU update summary of nine (9) Temp accounts that Quicken created in a single OSU using EWC with RBC Royal Bank. The screen shots are pasted below. It is these temp accounts that become invisibly embedded in the Quicken data file and then cause EWC functionality issues. The symptom of this problem is seeing "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup dialogue box (i.e. where you would normally ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts at your FI with accounts in your Quicken file. I have removed some personal information; more specifically, I edited out the actual account numbers that followed the Temp_XX_ string. Put simply, EWC decided to download data from actual FI accounts that I never linked to Quicken accounts. The accounts that Quicken downloaded are, in most cases, UNsupported by Quicken; they are of various unsupported types, including Canadian mortgage accounts, unsupported brokerage accounts, TFSA accounts, etc. Yes, you read that correctly, Quicken decided, all on its own, without me taking any action, to download data from nine (9) UNsupported accounts and save the data in new Temp_XX_ accounts in my Quicken data file... and these Temp accounts don't appear in either the Account List or the Category list. In some cases, specifically Temp_17_ it is a credit card account, which is supported, and which was linked to a Quicken account.

I hope the effectively illustrates the Temp_XX_ account mess that can result from a single OSU session with EWC gone bad. 
    edited December 2018

I believe that I may have identified a couple of situations that can cause the problems described in this thread to occur. This may not, and probably is not an exhaustive list of situations that trigger the problem, but hopefully is of some use to others (and to Quicken Product Development).

1. The first situation is to set up EWC (LINK or ADD) for one or more accounts for which there has been no activity for a long time. For example, I have a Line of Credit account, which has had a zero balance and no activity for years, probably more than a decade. LINKing or ADDing one of these no activity history accounts seems to trigger the Temp_**_ and then subsequently the "Unknown Type" issues. One of the symptoms is that Quicken will set such accounts (in the Canadian version of Quicken) to USD even though the account is CAD. I think this is because the FI is not providing any QFX information and Quicken then assumes a default of USD. I can set the currently manually back to CAD, but next time I OSU, the currency will flip back to USD. Clearly, there are issues with setting up EWC for accounts with no activity. I can anticipate that someone is going to ask why I would want to setup EWC for an account that has been unused for a long time... the answer is simply that I'd like to keep tabs on the accounts for nefarious/fraudulent activity. That being said, I have stopped trying to setup EWC for accounts with no activity history because I am confident in stating that it causes problems, big problems.
    2. The second scenario to avoid is a bit more difficult to describe. Normally, if you are trying to set up accounts for EWC, Quicken will propose linking accounts when it believe to have a found a match been a Quicken account and a FI account. I'm not sure what means Quicken uses to make the matches, but when it thinks it finds a match, it proposed to LINK the accounts. What I have discovered, after much grief, is that even when Quicken proposes to LINK a FI account to a Quicken account, you should still go through the pick list and select the Quicken account you want to LINK to. What I have discovered is that Quicken sometimes proposes linking to an account that doesn't exist. I know this sounds weird, but I can demonstrate repeatedly that I have data files where Quicken will propose to link an account at the FI to an account in Quicken where the Quicken account doesn't exist in the Account List. And, yes, I do mean LINK not ADD and, yes, I have tried "view hidden" with the Account List. In my case, Quicken proposes linking one or more FI accounts to accounts in Quicken that are very close in name, but not the same in name as the actual Quicken account. Maybe they are names I used in the past? Regardless, the names proposed by Quicken don't appear in the Account List. If you merrily proceed and allow Quicken to LINK to an account that doesn't really exist in Quicken then this is a recipe for problems, that have the symptoms of creation of TEMP_**_ accounts and "Unknown Type" account(s) appearing in the future when you enter EWC setup.

*** If anyone reading this post has an understanding of the mechanisms Quicken uses to match FI accounts with Quicken accounts and propose to LINK or ADD, I'd welcome sharing of such information. ***

• RexterRexter Member
    edited December 2018
    So it appears, for me at least, the options are to keep using the bad Quicken file and manually download and enter transactions for the FI that isn't working or to make a new Quicken file where everything works/downloads but, after importing everything I can I have to re-create most of my reminders, create new loans for all of my property and rebuild my investments, re link all the FIs online and figure what else is missing.  Or the quicken folks could fix it.  Hmmmm, I know which one I'm hoping for but I think I will struggle on with the bad file, for now at least.
    edited June 2017
    Rexter said:

So it appears, for me at least, the options are to keep using the bad Quicken file and manually download and enter transactions for the FI that isn't working or to make a new Quicken file where everything works/downloads but, after importing everything I can I have to re-create most of my reminders, create new loans for all of my property and rebuild my investments, re link all the FIs online and figure what else is missing.  Or the quicken folks could fix it.  Hmmmm, I know which one I'm hoping for but I think I will struggle on with the bad file, for now at least.

@Rexter: If you were to try the more aggressive cleaning approach, which involves the QIF export/import, then yes, you'll be have to exert a lot of effort to reconstruct aspects of your configuration (and data file). Note: most of my investments ported OK; I didn't have to "rebuild investments"; however, I did lose the security asset allocation information and it did switch a USD denonominated account to CAD, which was a pain to fix. Loans will break. Savings Goal accounts will break. SCheduled transactions will be lost. Some reconciled transactions will become unreconciled... etc.... I'm not kidding when I suggest it is 40 hours of work to patch it back together and that is without trying to re-attach all the attachments that were left behind (I scan receipts into Quicken).

Did you try the less aggressive approach already? It doesn't appear to cause any damage and it sometimes enables EWC to work again.

The less aggressive approach is as follows (note: this can remove corruption when a simple validate doesn't find any issues - not sure why this is true, but I demonstrated this is repeatable):

1. Go into Tools-->Account List
    2. For each of the accounts with the problematic Financial Institution, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate"
    3. Once you are done deactivating all the accounts with the problem FI, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button (my version of Quicken says "Update Accounts" on the button, but the button seems to be labeled differently, depending on Quicken version) [note: this one particular step is borrowed from someone else's experience; it wasn't part of my solution; I've included it here, because it, apparently, solved a problem with similar symptoms for someone else]
    4. Close Quicken
    5. Re-open Quicken
    6. Create a copy of your data file using File Operations --> Copy;
    7. Open the newly created copy;
    8. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c", which don't appear in my account list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup.
    9. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    10. Again, open the newly created file.
    11. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup.
    12. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    13. Again, open the newly created file.
    14. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    15. Go to Account list, click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    16. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you link the accounts, and I recommend that you pick the link account from the pick list even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically.
    17. Once this completes, you'll probably be back up and running.
    18. It will re-download previously downloaded transactions, but they should Match transactions already in your register and you should be able to just say Accept All and then Done.
    edited January 11
    UPDATE: 

While I have managed to cleanse enough of the corruption out of my data file (using the methods described above) to get OSU working with EWC again, I can still find evidence that there is residual corruption remaining in the data file. An example of this evidence is provided in the screen shot below. The account "ACCT_2c" shown in the screen shot below was not created by me, it does not appear in the account list (even with show hidden checked), and it does not appear in the category list (again, even with show hidden checked). Furthermore, Quicken is sometimes proposing this account as a transfer category for transactions downloaded by EWC, i.e. Quicken suggests that some transactions are for category "[ACCT_2c]", which doesn't appear in the Account List or Category List.

• RexterRexter Member
    edited March 2018
    Rexter said:

Good advice.  I tried the less aggressive approach and it seems to have succeeded.  I need to mention that to do step 3 in the online center you have to deactivate online service to ALL FIs or it will tell you that you need to and exit.  My investment was the only exception.
    I copied and validated the file 4 times and every time I received a duplicate category message but it didn't tell me what one and I scoured the category list and can't find any duplicates (show hidden checked) so I decided to try setting up online service to the FI that was having trouble and the Unknown type account was now properly identified and the account that had stopped even showing up was also properly listed.

I will set up online service to all the rest of the FIs and see how long it lasts.

Thank you for you help and maybe Quicken will decide to include a fix for this in an update or something.

Kind of wished I had tried the trouble FI after step 3 in the online center (reset CC data) just to see if that was actually the only step needed.  I will give it a few days and post how it goes
    edited November 2018
    Rexter said:

@Rexter: I'm glad that the process worked for you. I have a few questions for you:

1. If you go into Online Centre and hold Shift+Ctrl while clicking on Contact Info menu, are there any accounts included in the picklist that aren't or shouldn't be actual Quicken accounts in your case (see my example below) and/or are there any accounts of types unsupported for download. In my case, not only do I see ACCT_2c in this list, I also see brokerage accounts for which my FI doesn't support download. More specifically, this list includes accounts for which OSU created temp accounts when it went haywire.
    2. I haven't tried the Shift+Ctrl Send/Update. When you did it, did you get any sense of what action that forced? I understand it was a fix for some people, hence I've included it, but what does it actually do? I Googled it and even Google doesn't know that answer to that question!
    3. I am trying to get Quicken Product Development to pay attention to this issue. I would greatly appreciate it (as would other who have this issue) if would go to the Quicken site, click on Contact Office of the President and send a brief message telling them you've had the "Unknown Type" problem and the information in this thread (give them the link) helped out.
    4. If you haven't already, please LIKE comments in this thread.
    Thanks again for the feedback.
  • RexterRexter Member
    edited April 2018
    Rexter said:

1. @Artic Hare, there are in fact accounts that don't even exist and that do not support anything online, some I created just to manually keep track of things and some closed accounts. The first one listed is *Tax-Deductable Mileage* exactly like that.

The CTRL-Shift Update/Send gives a window and when you proceed it takes only a couple seconds to complete

I will do the contact if I find the link.  Seems I remember they like to hide any useful contact info.

Thanks again for the help and we will see if it holds up
    edited June 2017
    Rexter said:

@Rexter: Mr. Google doesn't know anything about "Reset CC Credentials" either. Bizarre. Best kept secret in the Universe.

The contact information is hidden in plain view: https://www.quicken.com/about-us/team

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

UPDATE: 

While I have managed to cleanse enough of the corruption out of my data file (using the methods described above) to get OSU working with EWC again, I can still find evidence that there is residual corruption remaining in the data file. An example of this evidence is provided in the screen shot below. The account "ACCT_2c" shown in the screen shot below was not created by me, it does not appear in the account list (even with show hidden checked), and it does not appear in the category list (again, even with show hidden checked). Furthermore, Quicken is sometimes proposing this account as a transfer category for transactions downloaded by EWC, i.e. Quicken suggests that some transactions are for category "[ACCT_2c]", which doesn't appear in the Account List or Category List.

The Reset CC clears the EWC profile from your data file; this normally occurs automatically when the last EWC account in your file is deactivated. All EWC accounts need to be deactivated before using this Easter Egg process, otherwise the profile on the EWC server will continue to log on to your accounts and try to update. The next time you activate an EWC account in the data file a new profile will be established on the server.

CTRL+Shift+F3+Contact Info- This Easter Egg has been erratic for me in QW2017 H&B and comes and goes with different revisions. It is helpful in clearing out old/corrupt FI profiles. Again, using it is not normally necessary because as accounts are completely deactivated from an FI, they should be dropped from the list automatically. If they are not that is a sign of data file corruption.

Finding hidden Temp accounts that don't show as hidden categories or in OSU summary- Try using Edit>Find/Replace from the menu bar and search for Cleared Status> Contains> Uncleared. Sort by account. You may see some of Quickens normal hidden "Tax Status" accounts, but you may also see the pesky Temp accounts you can't otherwise find. If you find one, click on the Date hyperlink and it will take you to the account register where you can use the Gear icon to access "Edit Account Details" and delete the account.  There needs to be a transaction in the account for Search to find it. If there is not, you can force one in as a manually entered transfer from an existing account, especially easy if it shows up in the pull-down menu.

EWC is complicated and I don't profess to be an expert but have stumbled across many of the fixes you are discovering. Keep in mind that an EWC profile is created for your data file when you activate the first EWC account in the file. Until all EWC accounts are deactivated that profile will remain active on the EWC server. When you create a File Operations>Copy or Restore from Backup, the status of accounts in EWC profile in the data file remains as it was when the backup or copied file was created; but the EWC profile on the EWC server remains as it was the last time an OSU was initiated from a file with that EWC profile.  Copies and Backups often have accounts in different activation states than what exist on the server. Strange things can happen then during OSU. Creating a New data file will create a new EWC profile but old profiles from old data files will remain active on the EWC server for longer than you might imagine.
  • Clark FowlerClark Fowler Member
    edited December 2018

Hello. I don't normally post to the community but I had to post this and thank the people in this thread.

There is a lot of information in this thread and I tried to combine it to see if I could resolve my issues. most of them were related to Wells Fargo account (6 of them shared somewhat between two userids. (1 checking, 2 savings, 2 credit cards (one in my name and one in my wife's name and a mortgage) So as you might suspect getting Wells Fargo to work properly has been a priority but also a nightmare until today.

Today, after I did the update sequence for the new Quicken Id (instead of Intuit ID) I followed the following steps based on information in this log:

Prior to 09/20/2017
    Before doing the above steps I have tried multiple times to get one Wells Fargo credit card setup for one-step unsuccessfully.

Some of the features I am using are Budgets, Debt Reduction, Retirement planning. Mobile

I have had multiple situations while working on a split transaction where Quicken cancelled
    At the time I had a split transaction that I had modified multiple time while saving it multiple
    times and part way through getting it the way I wanted it QUICKEN canceled

Done on 9/20/2017
    File Copy - created 2013cpy
    Open new copy
    All options
    File validation
    Rebuild investing log
    Delete existing price history
    Reset all printer setting
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File Copy - created 2013cpycpy
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File Copy - created 2013cpycpycpy
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File Copy - created 2013cpycpycpycpy
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Delete all one-setup connections
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File validation
    Setup Wells Fargo accounts
    USER1 id found 5 accounts, 2 were ignored
    1 checking - able to link -shared with USER2
    2 saving - able to link -shared with USER2
    1 mortgage - ignored  expected - not shared - not supported
    1 credit card - ignored  -shared with USER2
    Different user found 2 credits cards from above
    1 checking - ignored  -shared with USER1
    2 saving - ignored -shared with USER11 Credit card ignored above able to link -shared with USER1
    1 card to this user only ignored (0 balance) -  not shared
    16 other accounts link successfully
    Some had 2 accounts
    Same had 2 accounts with 0 balances
    Some only had 1 account.
    Everything I wanted to setup was setup correctly except the Wells Fargo accounts
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File Copy   created 2017
    Tried to add the missing CC account from Wells Fargo and it only found the one CC that it found the first time but the checking account and the 2 savings account (which is shared with the first user that was able to link them showed up as ignored. I think this could be correct but I am not sure.

Uninstalled quick mobile
    Installed quicken mobile
    Tried to sync my new copy 2017 quicken mobile
    Logon didn't show my new file, closed quicken
    Had some issues getting my password and after several 6 digit codes was able to get into sync data
    Reset cloud data
    Data synced successfully
    Logged in to quicken Mobile
    Waited for all accounts to sync
    Hooray all my accounts synced successfully include the four the success were setup but...
    MORE IMPORTANTLY
    I didn't have to sign-in to Wells Fargo, it worked during the initial account syncing process.
    I HAVE HAD TO SIGN IN TO MY WELLS FARGO ACCOUNTS FOR OVER A YEAR WHEN I OPENED MOBILE
    THEY HAD SYNCED AUTOMATICALLY 

I may have a party to celebrate. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

I still have 1 account at Wells Fargo that is not setup.

But no other account that I have failed other than the on Wells Fargo credit card with a 0 bal. Other 0 balance credit card were synced however.

The issue identified appear to be:                                                                                                          1 A limit in the number of accounts that can be setup in onset setup process no matter how many accounts are found (appears to be 4 or possibly 4 of the same non credit card type.

2 Doesn't seem to properly identify accounts if non-credit cards and credit cards are found in the same setup process. I say 4 because the first time of the setup process with USER1, it found 5 accounts but the 4th one is not supported with QWC (mortgage) and the 5th on was a credit card that was ignored. However when I did the setup with the USER2, there were 5 accounts found:  3 were ignored because they were found by USER1 so they were ignored, the forth one was the one credit card missed during the USER1 setup but number 5 account was ignored instead of being recognized as a valid credit card account.  

I hope this information helps current users on this thread as well as any quicken Technical people that may review this thread.

Good luck

Clark

edited September 2017

Hello. I don't normally post to the community but I had to post this and thank the people in this thread.

There is a lot of information in this thread and I tried to combine it to see if I could resolve my issues. most of them were related to Wells Fargo account (6 of them shared somewhat between two userids. (1 checking, 2 savings, 2 credit cards (one in my name and one in my wife's name and a mortgage) So as you might suspect getting Wells Fargo to work properly has been a priority but also a nightmare until today.

Today, after I did the update sequence for the new Quicken Id (instead of Intuit ID) I followed the following steps based on information in this log:

Prior to 09/20/2017
    Before doing the above steps I have tried multiple times to get one Wells Fargo credit card setup for one-step unsuccessfully.

Some of the features I am using are Budgets, Debt Reduction, Retirement planning. Mobile

I have had multiple situations while working on a split transaction where Quicken cancelled
    At the time I had a split transaction that I had modified multiple time while saving it multiple

Done on 9/20/2017
    Open new copy
    All options
    File validation
    Rebuild investing log
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File validation
    2 saving - ignored -shared with USER11 Credit card ignored above able to link -shared with USER1
    Some had 2 accounts
    Some only had 1 account.
    Everything I wanted to setup was setup correctly except the Wells Fargo accounts
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File Copy   created 2017
    Tried to add the missing CC account from Wells Fargo and it only found the one CC that it found the first time but the checking account and the 2 savings account (which is shared with the first user that was able to link them showed up as ignored. I think this could be correct but I am not sure.

Uninstalled quick mobile
    Installed quicken mobile
    Had some issues getting my password and after several 6 digit codes was able to get into sync data
    Reset cloud data
    Data synced successfully
    Hooray all my accounts synced successfully include the four the success were setup but...
    MORE IMPORTANTLY
    I didn't have to sign-in to Wells Fargo, it worked during the initial account syncing process.
    I HAVE HAD TO SIGN IN TO MY WELLS FARGO ACCOUNTS FOR OVER A YEAR WHEN I OPENED MOBILE

I may have a party to celebrate. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

But no other account that I have failed other than the on Wells Fargo credit card with a 0 bal. Other 0 balance credit card were synced however.

The issue identified appear to be:                                                                                                          1 A limit in the number of accounts that can be setup in onset setup process no matter how many accounts are found (appears to be 4 or possibly 4 of the same non credit card type.

2 Doesn't seem to properly identify accounts if non-credit cards and credit cards are found in the same setup process. I say 4 because the first time of the setup process with USER1, it found 5 accounts but the 4th one is not supported with QWC (mortgage) and the 5th on was a credit card that was ignored. However when I did the setup with the USER2, there were 5 accounts found:  3 were ignored because they were found by USER1 so they were ignored, the forth one was the one credit card missed during the USER1 setup but number 5 account was ignored instead of being recognized as a valid credit card account.  

I hope this information helps current users on this thread as well as any quicken Technical people that may review this thread.

Good luck

Clark

@Clark: Glad the information helped your resolve most of your issues. There is a maximum number of connections that can be set up on one day. I don't know exactly what the number is, but the Quicken PD team has indicated that there is a maximum that was imposed for security reasons. Hence, for people with a large number of EWC connections, they advise setting them up by adding one access ID per day.

I have not found zero balance, per se, to be an issue, but what is an issue is when an account does not have any transactions within the transaction window history (and that might be true of a zero balance account). So, if, for example, your bank provides a 60 day transaction history for Express Web Connect, then you will run into issues if you try to set up EWC for any account that has had zero transactions in 61 or more days. I have demonstrated that this is a repeatable issue for EWC setup. In my view, it is a defect. For this reason, I have a couple accounts for which I don't configure EWC. For example, I have a line of credit, which I haven't used in years. It is an "active" account... but with no activity, if you follow. My EWC works fine if I ignore that account, but the moment I try and LINK it, then things start going squirrelly. Oh, and, as a test, I've tried creating a new Q file and adding only that account and that also results in problem. I've tested many flavours of this and, plain and simple, it is problematic to try to set up EWC for an account with no transaction history. One symptom of the resultant problems is that the currency of the account in Q might change on it's own. For example, an account in Q set up as USD will get switched to CAD if connected to a USD that has NO transaction history.
  • Clark FowlerClark Fowler Member
    edited September 2017

Prior to 09/20/2017

Done on 9/20/2017
    Open new copy
    All options
    File validation
    Rebuild investing log
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File validation
    Some had 2 accounts
    Some only had 1 account.
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File Copy   created 2017

Uninstalled quick mobile
    Installed quicken mobile
    Reset cloud data
    Data synced successfully
    MORE IMPORTANTLY

Good luck

Clark

Thanks for the reply Artic. I understand what you are saying, but the pattern you described doesn't seem to fit my scenario. 3 Major reasons I say that.

1 I have 2 ids that access the Wells Fargo account. As I mention, that bank has 6 accounts, 1 checking, 2 savings a mortgage and 2 credit cards. The first one I did only recognized 3 of the accounts but the forth one was a mortgage and the fifth was a credit card. So I did userid2 and it ignored the first 3 accounts (linked with the previous id) and the first credit card but not the 5th credit card.

2 I then synced within an hour or less 16 more accounts some of which have never had transactions but still were able to sync. I want to sync them because I use it to ensure that no else is using then fraudulently.

3 I don't know about now since the last update with the QUICKEN ID, but prior to that time I have tried time and time again on multiple days to add the credit card that was setup with the second userid and it still would only recognize a maximum of 4 accounts. I am going to continue to try at a later date to see if I can setup the final account that I have.

Again I thank you for all the information that you and others have posted on the thread.

I wish you all continued good luck in getting any issues that you may be having resolved.

edited December 2017

Prior to 09/20/2017

Done on 9/20/2017
    Open new copy
    All options
    File validation
    Rebuild investing log
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    Open new copy
    File validation
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File validation
    Some had 2 accounts
    Some only had 1 account.
    Backup
    Close quicken
    File Copy   created 2017

Uninstalled quick mobile
    Installed quicken mobile
    Reset cloud data
    Data synced successfully
    MORE IMPORTANTLY

Good luck

Clark

As documented extensively by others, Wells Fargo is a special case... with many issues and challenges. I am speaking in general; circumstances may differ for special cases, such as WF.
    edited September 2017

I was able to catch Quicken "red handed" in the act of creating temp accounts during an EWC update. I managed to get screen shots from the OSU update summary of nine (9) Temp accounts that Quicken created in a single OSU using EWC with RBC Royal Bank. The screen shots are pasted below. It is these temp accounts that become invisibly embedded in the Quicken data file and then cause EWC functionality issues. The symptom of this problem is seeing "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup dialogue box (i.e. where you would normally ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts at your FI with accounts in your Quicken file. I have removed some personal information; more specifically, I edited out the actual account numbers that followed the Temp_XX_ string. Put simply, EWC decided to download data from actual FI accounts that I never linked to Quicken accounts. The accounts that Quicken downloaded are, in most cases, UNsupported by Quicken; they are of various unsupported types, including Canadian mortgage accounts, unsupported brokerage accounts, TFSA accounts, etc. Yes, you read that correctly, Quicken decided, all on its own, without me taking any action, to download data from nine (9) UNsupported accounts and save the data in new Temp_XX_ accounts in my Quicken data file... and these Temp accounts don't appear in either the Account List or the Category list. In some cases, specifically Temp_17_ it is a credit card account, which is supported, and which was linked to a Quicken account.

I hope the effectively illustrates the Temp_XX_ account mess that can result from a single OSU session with EWC gone bad. 

temp_ accounts that show up in OSU Summary can be accessed and deleted by clicking on the blue hypertext link for each account; this will open up the register window for the account. Using the "gear" icon in the upper right corner to access Edit Account Details will open a window which has a "Delete Account" button. Before deleting the account you can move any transactions from the temp to the real account. Close/re-open Quicken and run a file validation after deleting the temp_ account(s).
    edited September 2017

@markus1957: I wish what you suggested were always true. I have plenty of experience and examples where temp (and other phantom) accounts (and categories) do not appear in either the account or category list... even when "show hidden" is selected. In fact, I currently have an account that doesn't show up in the account list, doesn't show up as a category, but does show up in the online centre. It is a bogus account (ACCT_2c) that was created by Quicken/EWC. I've even sent my data file to Quicken's Product Development team in Bangalore. They tried to surgically remove the temp/phantom account from the datafile using their data file edit tool and that compromised the integrity of the data file... so, I am stuck with it.
    edited September 2017

@Artic Hare- I added the comment for the specific example shown in your screenshot to assist other users who stumble upon this post and who are seeing the specific issue posted in the screenshot. To the extent there is a suggestion I've provided elsewhere in this post that is not "true" or does not work as explained, please elaborate in another comment. A temp_ account appearing in Online Center is not an issue that applies to the advice in this comment unless it also shows up in OSU Summary.
    edited September 2017

@markus1957: The intent of the screen shot was to help demonstrate that the presence of "Unknown Type" in the setup dialogue box can/will make a mess in the datafile. The point/issue of this thread is not how to delete temp accounts from the OSU report. If one happens to notice these Temp accounts in the OSU, you might be able to take action at that point; however, in my experience, if you saw "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup dialogue box, your problems can't be resolved simply by deleting Temp accounts via the OSU report. You've got a bigger problem to fix. The temp accounts are just a symptom of the root issue this thread is addressing - EWC setup indicating "Unknown Type".

The good news is, and the most important point is, we have a process that resolves, in most circumstances, possibly all circumstances, the EWC Unknown Type issue.

edited September 2017

UPDATE: 

Regarding the hidden account, ACCT_2c ; one means of trying to delete the account is to create a $1 transfer from a normal working account into this account. If it is available in the transfer pull-down, use that. Otherwise type it manually into the category as [ACCT_2c]. Then save and right-click Go to Matching Transfer. That will switch you into the hidden ACCT_2c register. Try the gear icon, Edit Account Details, Delete. It works sometimes but sometimes the Account Details window will not spawn.

I have not seen where you tried this approach so it is offered as a possible solution. Try it on a windows copy of the file so you can revert if it causes more problems than it solves.
    edited September 2017

UPDATE: 

It doesn't appear on any list or pull down. As mentioned, I even gave my entire data file to Quicken's Product Development team in Bangalore and they couldn't get rid of the phantom account without destroying the integrity of the datafile. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues. EWC works fine and I seem to have arrested any other corruption issues. I might try the manually typing trick, but I think the issue is that there is no register associates with the label. I'll give it a try sometime... on a copy, of course.
This discussion has been closed.