Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QMac 2017 (4.5.6): Tracking original purchase price when changing mutual fund share class

RCinNJ
RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
For a Vanguard mutual fund the share class changed from "Investor" to "Admiral" when I purchased more shares. QM, correctly, created "Sell" and a "Buy" placeholders. I put the total price for the "Sell" old share class and the same price for the "Buy" new share class. However, this resets my purchase price to today's price and hence my Gain/Loss to $0. Is there a way to manually set the original purchases so that QM will properly show my gain on this mutual fund?

As a side note, I assume there has been a feature request for a "change share class" command?

I am using QM2017 v. 4.5.6

Thanks

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Take a look at merging the two fund categories when you see the pop up requesting which name/symbol you want select the Admiral shares..Let us know how that worked 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Corcordman, great suggestion, however it didn't change the Total Gain/Loss from $0. Glad to know I can merge share classes like this though. I have attached a screen shot of my merge securities screen.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Corcordman, great suggestion, however it didn't change the Total Gain/Loss from $0. Glad to know I can merge share classes like this though. I have attached a screen shot of my merge securities screen.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

OK I see what happened. What you might want to attempt assuming you show both mutual funds in the sidebar is to drag the transactions from the register having all your history into the new register. Let us know what happened
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

Wondering if you just edit the name in the account sidebar to reflect the admiral fund, not sure that would work but it's a simple solution
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

Not really, because the regular fund and the Admiral fund have different prices per share.  
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

I remember this transition to Admiral shares in Vanguard years ago when I was using Quicken windows but simply don't remember what I did
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

Wondering if by some chance there is a placeholder in the new register that you can manipulate
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

Only the new mutual fund class is in the Portfolio view. I tried restoring from yesterday's backup to see if after downloading transactions again there is another way to do this. However, after downloading transactions again there is only the new share class. I have added screenshots to show what QM creates. Originally, I fixed the two placeholders and deleted the two Payment/Deposit transactions. Perhaps there is a better/correct way to do this?

The screenshots show:
    1. The transaction history from the Portfolio view from before downloading today where the share class changed.
    2. The Portfolio view for the mutual fund after downloading today.
    3. The two placeholders at the bottom of the account's transaction view.
    4. The two Payment/Deposits created at the bottom of the account's transaction view.

I hope this helps.imageimageimageimage

FYI. Before this I command-Z'd, and then tried going in the opposite direction and merged and kept the old name. It allowed this, but the Mutual Fund disappeared completely from the Portfolio list. I also command-Z'd this and tried changing the same of the new share class to match the old share class, but this was not allowed. gmalis1 is correct that the different shares have different prices per share.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

SOLVED! This time I merged the securities before doing anything else. This removed one of the placeholders and left a new different placeholder. This new placeholder showed some missing shares which I thought related to some fund reinvestments. I tried adjusting it, but realized it was a negative number of shares and would match the number of shares if I deleted it. When I deleted that placeholder my total history for the mutual fund reappeared with the correct fund class name.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions! Anyone else frustrated by the lack of good documentation?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

Glad it worked out for you by the way this site is much better than any type of documentation.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

The willingness of users on this forum to help each other is spectacular! Still doesn't get Quicken off the hook for not producing a manual. Also, I did search on the forum (and in the Help file) before posting without finding a similar question, but it is always possible that this has been answered before and the search terms I used didn't match the OP's description of their problem.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

No worries glad your up & running properly
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

As a post script: It is still off, but better. I realized when I looked more closely that the gains did not match my old record. I believe that after merging the securities all the old transactions were changed to the new name and re downloaded using the then correct price/share under the new name (keeping the original number of shares). This made all the transactions off by the difference in the share prices. It all balances to the final correct number of shares and total current value, and shows the approximate correct gain (better than zero gain), but it shows my starting investment as too low and so the gain as too high. 

I will live with this unless someone has a brilliant idea on how to fix this glitch.

Thanks again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

I have had some similar problems trying to accurately update accounts in Quicken for Mac 17 and also in Banktivity 6.  I'll try your suggestion above and see how it works.  Frustrating that the companies involved cannot develop some standard for reporting and updating these items for financial software.  I am guessing that the problem is as much the financial institutions method of reporting as it is the software companies that attempt to track it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

I was almost ready to try this suggestion (merge the two securities) until I realized that my wife has an IRA that still has shares of the Investor Class shares.  She does not have a high enough balance with Vanguard to convert to the Admiral Shares.  I track all of this in a joint Quicken for MAC file.  If I "Merge" the two I am thinking I will be tracking her shares with the incorrect current quote.

(Sigh)  There is just no easy way to do this, is there?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    RCinNJ said:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!image

I was almost ready to try this suggestion (merge the two securities) until I realized that my wife has an IRA that still has shares of the Investor Class shares.  She does not have a high enough balance with Vanguard to convert to the Admiral Shares.  I track all of this in a joint Quicken for MAC file.  If I "Merge" the two I am thinking I will be tracking her shares with the incorrect current quote.

(Sigh)  There is just no easy way to do this, is there?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    In the past, I've done a stock split (if I had 1024.3 shares after the conversion and I had 1000 before, I just did a 1.0243 to 1 split.  Then I changed the ticker symbol.  This kept my share purchase history (and also shows it as non-taxable if in a taxable account).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    H Franks said:

In the past, I've done a stock split (if I had 1024.3 shares after the conversion and I had 1000 before, I just did a 1.0243 to 1 split.  Then I changed the ticker symbol.  This kept my share purchase history (and also shows it as non-taxable if in a taxable account).

Thanks for that suggestion.  I'll look into that.
This discussion has been closed.