Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QM 2017 Share Balance not included in Search?

RCinNJ
RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I just ran across this when looking for all transactions with a certain value. The Share Balance column is visible but if I enter any existing share value in the Find box it does not appear. I believe this is because while the Share Balance appears in the column, when I open up the transaction this number is not there because it is the total number of shares, not the number of shares in this particular transaction. I would consider this a programming error which I would think could easily be fixed.

I have attached 3 screenshots to demonstrate.imageimageimage

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I don't think it is a bug, but a design decision.  The share balance is a calculated value for the register.  If you were to change the date of the transaction to a date prior to another transaction for that same security, the share balance would change for the transaction at that point in time.

Similarly, the Balance column of a banking register is not included in searches because it is also calculated and is position dependent in the register based on sort.

Whether it is an easy or difficult thing to fix depends greatly on a lot of things and could only be determined by the dev team and not us mere users regardless of our technical backgrounds, we haven't seen the code behind the register.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    splasher, interesting points. However, if it is really a design decision then it should be shared in documentation. As I think I've learned (by reading the forum, and what documentation I've seen) search only works on visible columns. This has always implied to me that all visible columns should be searched. Of course, if I go to a different view, such as a prior date, where the information won't be in any column I would not expect it to magically appear in my search. 

I never knew about search not working for the Balance column of the banking register either. Thanks for pointing that out. Whether I might ever have a need where I would want to search to locate the date that a particular balance appears in my register view is a different question.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    I'm not supporting one view or the other, but just want to point out that you can tell which fields will be searched by clicking the magnifying glass after entering a search term. The fields that are searched are listed. Perhaps the text should say "All Searchable Columns" or something to that effect.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    RickO, good tip. I never thought to look there. However, I do want to point out that both of the columns discussed here can be shown or hidden by the user and that choosing to show the column at least implies that it will be included in a search. "Date" cannot be hidden or searched so at least there is some consistency here. Perhaps simply labeling the field "Searchable Columns" would be a good alternative text since it implies that not all columns are searchable.
This discussion has been closed.