Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken files slow to open in Windows 10 Re: Quicken 2007

Not a lot of files. The largest being our checking account. Quicken loads up, but the file for the checking account take 3 minutes and 20 seconds to finally load. Files dates back to 11/30/2012 so do not think it is because of it being too large. There are a few other files to take a while also, but not near as long as this one. They were working find in Win 7 but computer hard drive finally crashed and I had to go to 10.

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    How many Memorized Payees do you have?

That's been known to really slow down Quicken's performance.

Go to HELP > SHIFT + About Quicken.  Take a screenshot for us or let us know how many Memorized Payees you have.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2018
    That bring up nothing like payees in my Quicken. I can get to it by CASH FLOW> Memorized Payee List (Ctrl + T)  and it is a long list. Does it cause a problem in 10 that it did not in 7?  A lot of it involved a Wedding Photography business I had and since retired, I could probably delete a lot of it.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Well to follow up. WOW. I had stuff in that list from back in my Little League and Wedding photography days. I am sure I deleted close to 3000 payees.  It, so far, did cut down the load time to like 50 seconds instead of over 3 minutes. Thank you for that.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

Well to follow up. WOW. I had stuff in that list from back in my Little League and Wedding photography days. I am sure I deleted close to 3000 payees.  It, so far, did cut down the load time to like 50 seconds instead of over 3 minutes. Thank you for that.

Next...go to FILE > FILE OPERATIONS > COPY and leave all the defaults.

With that copy file, FILE > FILE OPERATIONS > VALIDATE AND REPAIR > Check  "Validate" and "Rebuild Investing Lots".

Repair any problems that Quicken finds.

See if that helps when you open Quicken.  If it does, then use that copied validated file as your current working data file.  
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

Was able to to a COPY and then VALIDATE, but no option for a REPAIR in this old version.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

1) Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+, US versions only
    When running an old,
    unsupported Quicken version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes
    (patch files) directly from Quicken.

However, they are still available here: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number
    available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and
    install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

2) In your old version, the File Menu options may be different from what we now have in supported versions. As long as you can find and run a "Validate", to ensure that there are no structural errors in your Quicken data file, you should be fine. "Validate" does attempt to repair what if finds and reports on items it cannot repair itself. Check the log file created by the Validate process.

3) Please send us a screen snapshot of the File Information window. Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken. This will tell us of there might be something amiss with your file.

4) To auto-trim the Memorized Payee List to help keep it in shape, please do this:
    In Edit /
    Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have a checkmark at

"Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months"

and set [xx] to something like "18". Do not set it to zero. IMHO, you
    should set the number to 12 or higher for best results, so that once-a-year
    payees don't vanish.
    Restart Quicken for
    the change to take effect and housekeeping to clean up the Memorized Payee
    List.
    Check the File
    Information box again to see the reduced count.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

Any change in performance after validating?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Since the problem seems to be in one account, besides what has already been suggested, I would look at how many transactions are in that account.  People have notice problems when it exceeds about 20,000.  If yours is in that category I would just create a new account and transfer from say the last month to the new register.

Also it is possible for the register to be corrupted so what I do in cases like that is just create a new account and transfer the transactions from the old one to the new one.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

Still at 50 seconds. A couple other files load in less time. My Taxes and My Investments.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    UKR said:

When running an old,

However, they are still available here: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

2) In your old version, the File Menu options may be different from what we now have in supported versions. As long as you can find and run a "Validate", to ensure that there are no structural errors in your Quicken data file, you should be fine. "Validate" does attempt to repair what if finds and reports on items it cannot repair itself. Check the log file created by the Validate process.

3) Please send us a screen snapshot of the File Information window. Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken. This will tell us of there might be something amiss with your file.

4) To auto-trim the Memorized Payee List to help keep it in shape, please do this:
    In Edit /

payees don't vanish.
    Restart Quicken for
    List.
    Check the File

>>4) To auto-trim the Memorized Payee List to help keep it in shape, please do this:
    In Edit /

"Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months" <<

Not such animal. I do see the following choices

Data Field:
    Complete fields using previous entries
    Recall memorized payees
    Provide drop down lists on field entries

Automatic List Updating
    Automatically memorize new payees
    Automatically memorize to calendar list

I guess this is what you are looking for as to #3

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    UKR said:

When running an old,

In Edit /

payees don't vanish.
    Restart Quicken for
    List.
    Check the File

Not really the screenshot we were looking for...but Q2007 is so old now, most of us won't remember how to access the file type amount listings...and that may not even be available in Q2007.

Anyways...after pruning the memorized payees and running the validation, you've failed to answer my question...Any better performance now?  

Also, Windows 10 is inherently slow(er).  I still like Windows 7 better and use that partition more than Windows 10 because of the sluggishness.  

Also, although your new PC is in fact newer, doesn't mean it's faster.  
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    UKR said:

When running an old,

In Edit /

payees don't vanish.
    Restart Quicken for
    List.
    Check the File

Windows 10 is inherently slow(er).
    Windows 10 is in fact faster in many ways, not that I think most people would even notice, except for things like booting and shutdown, which Windows 10 wins hands down.
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/

Not that I think it will matters for this performance question, but your Quicken 2007 should be at R5.  You can get the patch from here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

In older versions of Quicken, instead of: Edit -> Preferences you have to go to:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken Program, and there is a "prune memorized payees option" under Register:

Note that holding down Shift and selecting Help -> About Quicken does bring up the stats dialog:

Also Tools -> Account List (Ctrl+A) lists how many transactions are in each account (one in my example checking account).

Updated, latest patch is R5, not R7.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    UKR said:

When running an old,

In Edit /

payees don't vanish.
    Restart Quicken for
    List.
    Check the File

Just for the "fun of it".   I exported my current Quicken 2017 data file as a QIF file, and imported it into Quicken 2007 running on a Windows XP virtual machine (running on my main Windows 10 machine which has an A-10 quad processor, which is basically "OK" these days in performance, but certainly nothing to write home about).
    Opening my largest non investment account (by transactions, 5848) it took a second or less.

I installed Quicken 2007 on my test Windows machine.  A very old Dell laptop.  How old?  It is has a built for Windows XP sticker on it, but is does have a SSD, and maxed out memory of 3 GB.  And it is running the 32-bit version of Windows 10 instead of the 64-bit which gives it a bit more memory for applications.

Interesting enough I selected to have it check for updates during the install, and it actually downloaded and installed R5!

Performance of opening that account?  Basically the same as on the Windows XP virtual machine, a second or less.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    UKR said:

When running an old,

In Edit /

payees don't vanish.
    Restart Quicken for
    List.
    Check the File

Interesting. The only thing I know is that my 2007 files opened quickly in my old XP Dell PC. I cringed when I had to buy the Win 10 recently but loaded 2007 with no issue, then the backed up files. To be honest, I can't say exactly when the slowing down started. Bought the new Win 10 machine early May.  One other thing I notice is that my Photoshop opens slowly now also.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

>>Anyways...after pruning the memorized payees and running the validation,
    you've failed to answer my question...Any better performance now?  <<

Actually I did. It has gone from 3 minutes 20 seconds, down to 50 seconds
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2018
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2018
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I do notice I only have R2 if that is correct. Will load up R5
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Applied R5 To my 2007. Now takes 1 minute to load.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

Well you certainly don't have that many transactions, so it really should take next to no time to load.  I would suggest you try my suggesting about creating a new account and moving the transactions to it (and deleting the old account).

Be sure to back up before you try it.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

BTW for reference here is my test file:

You have a bit more memorized payees, but it has been my experience that they don't really become a problem until they are getting close to 1000 or more.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

Thanks. I know how to create the account, but how do you move the transactions over to it?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

Here is a link to the instructions:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

Sadly no good. I wonder if I reinstall 2007, update it to R5, then reinstall the files??
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017

It would be worth a try for the uninstall/install here is a good procedure to follow for the uninstall.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited July 2017

Well, guess I am stuck with it. Luckily I am retired and not in a hurry but I thank you all for your help and suggestions. Possibly I just need to upgrade to a newer quicken? I had not done so because heard that some newer versions weren't all that great.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited July 2017

Upgrading to a new version might fix the problem, but in general the newer versions tend to be a bit slower to open because more is being done GUI wise and such.

One other thought is trying to reconstruct the data file using QIF exports/imports.  Depending on complexity of your data transfers may or may not give you problems.
    Here is some details on my experience with it:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited July 2017

Go figure. Got a 2017 Deluxe I got off EBay last night and today I can open my Quicken checking account in around 5 seconds. :-/
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Ole Q 2007 showing it's age, perhaps? I can only guess ...

Glad you can stop doing this:

;-)

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited July 2017

LOL, true. Now if I could just get rid of the "What's new in Quicken 2007" box that continually pops up.  Even with the "don't show me this again" check it is like Groundhog day all over again.
This discussion has been closed.