Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QWin 2017: Upgraded to Quicken 2017 for Windows with imported 2015 data.

UnknownUnknown Member
I imported my Quicken 2015 information from a previous laptop. On my new laptop, I purchased 2017 and entered my recent financial information into it. A Quicken 2015 shortcut was created on my desktop in the process. After my new Quicken 2017 was set up, I closed it and deleted the 2015 shortcut. 

I eventually realized that unless the 2015 shortcut is on my desktop, the information will not appear when I click on my Quicken Deluxe 2017 shortcut.

I don't want to see the Quicken 2015 shortcut. I've moved Quicken from computer to computer in the past but have never had this issue. What can I do?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

What you refer to as a "Quicken 2015 - shortcut" most likely represents your actual data file and not the shortcut icon to the Quicken program.

If it is, please do the following:
    Using Windows File Explorer move the "Quicken 2015" file from the Desktop folder to a folder named \Documents\Quicken. If you want to, rename it "My Quicken Data" or something similar without the misleading year number.
    Double-click the file from the \Documents\Quicken location. This will start the Quicken program and make it memorize the new file location so, when you start Quicken by double-clicking the Desktop Quicken 2017 icon in the future, the correct file will automatically be loaded.

If you're not an experienced Windows user please get somebody from your family, friends, etc. to help you with that.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited July 2017
    UKR said:

What you refer to as a "Quicken 2015 - shortcut" most likely represents your actual data file and not the shortcut icon to the Quicken program.

If it is, please do the following:
    Using Windows File Explorer move the "Quicken 2015" file from the Desktop folder to a folder named \Documents\Quicken. If you want to, rename it "My Quicken Data" or something similar without the misleading year number.
    Double-click the file from the \Documents\Quicken location. This will start the Quicken program and make it memorize the new file location so, when you start Quicken by double-clicking the Desktop Quicken 2017 icon in the future, the correct file will automatically be loaded.

If you're not an experienced Windows user please get somebody from your family, friends, etc. to help you with that.

Thank you so much, UKR! You were absolutely correct about everything, and your instructions were easy to follow and fixed my problem immediately! It took me less than a minute to follow them. 

It might sound like a bit much to say you are brilliant, and I adore your technical savvy, but that's how I'm feeling, so there you go. Also, your ability to explain something simply to someone who does not have that savvy is a fantastic skill that I hope brings you much acclaim in your career. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.