QWin: Recent Citibank Transactions NOT Clearing

Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a checking account with Citibank using EWC which currently has 9 uncleared debit card transactions dating back to 7/6.  These transactions are included in my balance and no longer show up as pending when I view my account online.

There are 4 in the range 7/6-7 that have downloaded and been marked cleared, but the rest haven't and I'm getting the impression they never will.

Is anyone else aware of this problem and have a solution other than marking them cleared manually?

This is the first time I'm seeing this.
Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10

Comments

• Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22

Sounds to me like a classic screen scraper issue.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Tom Young said:

Very humorous, but otherwise not much help.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Tom Young said:

Humor is all I can offer here.  Sorry.
  • JBracyJBracy Member
    edited January 22
    I have the same issue with Quicken 2017 for Mac and Citibank checking. No transactions have been downloaded since 7/7. No errors and the transactions show cleared online.
    edited July 2017
    JBracy said:

I have the same issue with Quicken 2017 for Mac and Citibank checking. No transactions have been downloaded since 7/7. No errors and the transactions show cleared online.

That's interesting, you have the very same scenario as me.  That was helpful.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    JBracy said:

First try "Update Now" from one of the account registers (action menu).
    If that doesn't fix it try is resetting the connection.  And if that doesn't work, disconnect the connection and enable it again.  Be ready for duplicated transactions because you most likely will get them.

Express Web Connect is very unreliable with certain financial institutions, and Citibank ranks up at the top of that list.

I have a Macy's credit card that is serviced by Citibank, and I would say on average it "messes up" about once every couple of months.
    edited January 22
    Today I did another OSU and still no new transactions were downloaded for the account.  Next I proceeded to follow @QPW's instructions beginning with Update Now.  I actually tried this before, however today it brought up the Connectivity Problems troubleshooter, perhaps because the update has not been working for so long.  

This lead me to choose the Reset Account button, which was @QPW's next suggestion.

I think this troubleshooter is a great feature, however it gets stuck at the Resetting Account window and I have to terminate Quicken.

I tried this twice and found that it always hangs at Resetting Account, I think waiting 15-20 minutes is sufficient for it to complete.

Next I tried resetting the account using the button on the Online Tab in Account Details.

This was showing all sorts of activity, so it was clearly doing something now.

Unfortunately when I reached the select account window, none of the accounts was my checking account so I could not select anything and it just ended.

So I proceeded to try this a second time. On the second pass a much longer list of accounts to select from was displayed and this time my checking account was one of them.

After selecting the correct account, it finally completed successfully and low and behold all my outstanding transactions to date cleared.

So @QPW's suggestion to reset the account resolved my problem after some persistence on my part.
    edited July 2017
    JBracy said:

Reset Account from the Online Tab in Account Details resolved the problem with some persistence as described below.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Rich M said:

Today I did another OSU and still no new transactions were downloaded for the account.  Next I proceeded to follow @QPW's instructions beginning with Update Now.  I actually tried this before, however today it brought up the Connectivity Problems troubleshooter, perhaps because the update has not been working for so long.  

This lead me to choose the Reset Account button, which was @QPW's next suggestion.

I think this troubleshooter is a great feature, however it gets stuck at the Resetting Account window and I have to terminate Quicken.

I tried this twice and found that it always hangs at Resetting Account, I think waiting 15-20 minutes is sufficient for it to complete.

Next I tried resetting the account using the button on the Online Tab in Account Details.

Unfortunately when I reached the select account window, none of the accounts was my checking account so I could not select anything and it just ended.

So I proceeded to try this a second time. On the second pass a much longer list of accounts to select from was displayed and this time my checking account was one of them.

After selecting the correct account, it finally completed successfully and low and behold all my outstanding transactions to date cleared.

So @QPW's suggestion to reset the account resolved my problem after some persistence on my part.

Yeah recommending Reset is a bag of worms, sometimes it goes out to lunch and never comes back.  Basically what I do it get a feel for the fianacial institutions that it doesn't work on, and for those at just skip it and go to deactivating and reactivating.  But that does come with the risk that you might not be able to reconnect at all.

Of course though if that is the case the downloading is already probably beyond hope.  At least until they fix it.
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    JBracy said:

The following is a more robust, albeit more involved, method of overcoming many EWC issues with symptoms like those described in this thread:

1. Create a copy of your data file using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    2. Open the newly created copy;
    3. Go into Tools-->Account List
    4. For all active connections, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate"
    5. Once you are done deactivating all connections, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button (with my version of Quicken the button reads "Update Accounts", but the button text seems to be labeled differently, depending on Quicken version). [Some users cannot complete this step because they have an EWC LINKed mortgage account that can't be deactivated. Does this apply to you?]
    6. Close Quicken [don't skip this step]
    7. Re-open Quicken
    8. Create a copy of your data file using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    9. Open the newly created copy;
    10. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c", which don't appear in your account list, then the validate process is flushing out corruption in your data file.
    11. Perform another file copy again using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    12. Again, open the newly created file.
    13. Validate the file again: File-->File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this second validate finds a problem with a Category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption.
    14. Perform another file copy again using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    15. Again, open the newly created file.
    16. Validate the file again: File-->File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    17. Go to Account list (Tools-->Account_List), click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    18. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you LINK the accounts. When you LINK the accounts, It is critical that you pick the Quicken account from the pick list presented even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically. Don't just accept Quicken's automatic LINK.
    19. Once the setup process completes, you'll probably be back up and running.
    20. It will re-download previously downloaded transactions, but they should Match transactions already in your register and you should be able to just say Accept All and then Done.
    21. If the download transactions don't automatically match, best practice is to manually match them. If you have duplicates, but can't manually match the transactions, click on the Gear icon on the upper right corner of the register and under Register_Columns put a check beside Downloaded_ID. Then accept one of the duplicate transactions and compare the Downloaded_IDs (you may have to change views back and forth to get it to refresh. If the same duplicate transactions both have Downloaded_IDs then your bank's system has changed the Downloaded_ID, which is supposed to remain consistent once assigned. In this (rare) case, you should accept the new version of the transaction, delete each of the old corresponding duplicates and fix up the "C" and "R" indicators, accordingly. Normally this last step isn't required, but it will be if your bank reset the Downloaded_IDs.

Good luck and please post the results.

edited July 2017
    Rich M said:

I had also tried deactivating/reactivating before posting this, but that didn't work.  According to the help next to Reset Account, that's just what it does, but it must do something more than that, because it resolved my problem.

This connection has been working reliably for so long that I only vaguely remember going through all these inane steps before.
    edited January 22
    Although Account Reset resolved my issue with downloading transactions from Citibank, I noticed one other wrinkle as a result of it today.  In a number of my views on the Home tab, Quicken started displaying various Temp accounts that it created.

I did a Validate and Repair and all of these were cleaned up.
  • Larry CherneyLarry Cherney Member
    edited February 2018
    JBracy said:

This is too complicated.  How do I find the Connectivity Problems tab per screenshots below?  I'm beyond frustrated.  Quicken simply is not downloading my bank transactions..
    edited February 2018
    JBracy said:

You're absolutely right. What works best for me is to go to Edit Account Details from the register and click Reset Account from the Online tab. I had to do this again this week.

I always find I have a number of Temp accounts after this completes and have to do a Validate File.
This discussion has been closed.