Can't change adjustment category

MotoTomMotoTom Member
When creating an adjustment during reconciliation, the default category is "Adjustment." When I edit the category, it immediately reverts back to Adjustment. Is this the expected behavior, or a bug?

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Tom Parker ,

Don't adjust. Find the error. Adjustment will lead to more adjustments later.

Also see this Article:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R21.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4

Vote:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20022841#Comment_20022841

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    While I agree it is wise to do what you can to find/correct errors, there are indeed times when adjustments have to be made. 

The "Adjustment" category has a special status (it won't show up on reports as spending/income), thus you cannot edit it.

If for some reason you have to adjust and you need a special category, you can simply manually enter the transaction for the same with your desired category and delete the adjustment. Just be aware that the transx will no longer have the special status. 
  • MotoTomMotoTom Member
    edited December 2018

While I agree it is wise to do what you can to find/correct errors, there are indeed times when adjustments have to be made. 

The "Adjustment" category has a special status (it won't show up on reports as spending/income), thus you cannot edit it.

If for some reason you have to adjust and you need a special category, you can simply manually enter the transaction for the same with your desired category and delete the adjustment. Just be aware that the transx will no longer have the special status. 

Thanks, John. Yes, saying "just don't do it" isn't very helpful. What you suggest is the workaround I was doing; I just wanted to confirm whether this is working as designed.

I appreciate the help. In this case, I know what is causing the difference, and it would be easiest if I could just accept the adjustment and categorize it properly as you can in Quicken for Windows. I've just recently moved to Quicken for Mac. I'm struggling with a few of the differences, but mostly it's finally at a point where I can stop running a Windows VM to use Quicken.
    edited December 2018

Yes, it is working by design.

If you frequently have reason to enter an adjustment with a different category, would this be a case where you want to create a scheduled transaction to compensate before you reconcile? I don't know your situation, so I am just throwing ideas out there. And depending on your situation, you might want those transactions to show up in reports.
  • MotoTomMotoTom Member
    edited August 2017

Thanks, John. It's not a regular thing. I'm really just trying to catch up on some tracking that fell behind when I had to do all this in a VM. (Loans are what is really killing me.Trying to deal with payments that weren't broken down for a long time, and just wanting to get the balance right and future amortization correct. I think I'll have to just convert them to a liability account because the loan is also variable rate. I don't think it's going to ever work right until Quicken Mac adds support for variable rate loans.)
    edited August 2017

If it were I who had to handle a loan, I would simply manually enter it as a liability account as well. Sure, it doesn't have the nifty graph or amortization table, but I prefer the manual control. I don't find splitting out and manually entering the P&I each month is all that hard. Once you get the scheduled transactions setup, handling it is easy.