Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QMac 2017: IRA Distribution Not Subtracted from IRA Cash

Ron Myers
Ron Myers Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
QMac17: Entered IRA distribution in checking account as 2-split transaction, with gross distribution positive transfer from IRA, and Fed withholding negative. Everything looks fine, but the transaction didn't reduce the IRA cash balance. I've used this method before without problems. Any suggestions?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    Does the other side of the transfer show up in the IRA account register? Can you post a screenshot each transaction (redacted as necessary for privacy)?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ron Myers
    Ron Myers Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Q17 doesn't allow opening IRA side of the xfer. I'll send checking screenshot later, gotta run.
  • RickO
    edited August 2017
    Ron Myers said:

Q17 doesn't allow opening IRA side of the xfer. I'll send checking screenshot later, gotta run.

When you try to double click the IRA side of the transaction, it will ask to take you to the checking side. That's okay. But you should still see the transaction in the IRA register. 

I set up a little example of how it should look. Here's the checking side:

And here's how it should look in the IRA:

Are you seeing something different?
  • Ron Myers
    Ron Myers Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ron Myers said:

Checking looks exactly alike; IRA looks fine, has gross withdrawal transferred to Checking...except I don't have anything in "Balance" column. Goof when originally setting up account?
  • RickO
    edited August 2017
    Ron Myers said:

Ah, the problem is that the whole  balance column is blank? That has nothing to do with the transfer. Your register is in a state that does not meet the criteria for the balance column to be populated. See this post, which should fix it for you:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-faq-how-to-i-see-the-running-bal...
  • Ron Myers
    Ron Myers Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ron Myers said:

Following the advice in the post, I clicked on "Clear Filters" and the Balance column was miraculously populated! That's the good news; the bad news is that the current balance isn't what it should be. I'll do some forensic work to see if I can straighten things out.
  • RickO
    edited August 2017
    Ron Myers said:

Yeah, unfortunately, that may take quite a bit of digging if you haven't been watching the cash balance for a long while. 

One thing to check... look at the beginning of the register for any transactions designated as "placeholder transaction". They are light gray in the register. Sometimes these can get out of whack and deleting one can fix things up.
  • Ron Myers
    Ron Myers Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ron Myers said:

Thanks...as always...for your patient support, Rick. The root of my problem may lie in a post I read about IRA distributions, advising "The first thing to do is delete whatever is downloaded to your IRA account - they do not fit with Q17's way of handling the taxable distribution." I did what he said, which surely makes my investigation more problematic....
This discussion has been closed.