importing data from verion 4 (1994) into quicken 2017

I have been using Quicken 4 (1994) and not I am getting ready to finally upgrade to Quicken Deluxe 2017. How do I go about importing my data from version 4 into 2017?

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    See this: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

But note, that the FAQ says that it's not possible to convert files that are older than Q1998.  SO you might try searching around on Amazon, eBay or such to see if you can find a Q product that DOES come as Q1998 or later.  But not too much later, because I'm not sure of the time frame for which Q1998 files are readable.

Worse case scenario ... you'd just need to start over with a newer Q product.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • robert vernerrobert verner Member
    edited August 2017
    So if I go and pick up a copy of Q98 and install it over version 4 it will go and update the data so it can be read by Q2017?

Another thing is I have Version 4 on an XP box but I intend to put Q17 onto a windows 7 64bit box. So put Q98 onto\over version 4? then move the data over to the new box
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    No, your need to convert to Q98, then Q04 and finally Q13 before Q17. I would try to use your XP box to get to Q13.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

See this: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

But note, that the FAQ says that it's not possible to convert files that are older than Q1998.  SO you might try searching around on Amazon, eBay or such to see if you can find a Q product that DOES come as Q1998 or later.  But not too much later, because I'm not sure of the time frame for which Q1998 files are readable.

Worse case scenario ... you'd just need to start over with a newer Q product.

Intuit/Quicken used to provide a complimentary copy of Quicken 99 for this process, but they dropped that a few years back.

CORRECTION - it was Quicken 2000 and it was a trial version.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The limit stated on in the Quicken article is "artificial".  Most likely only picked because that is what they had tested.  I have successfully imported my old "floppy data file set" using Quicken 2004 on a Windows XP virtual machine.  The last date in that data file is 1992, so it was created by Quicken 1992 or 1993.

I would give the conversion with Quicken 2004 a try.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    P.S. You stated your version is Quicken 4.  Make sure you are really talking about Quicken that came out in 1994, because there is Quicken 1 through 6 and they have nothing to do with the "year".  And if you really have Quicken 4, that isn't Quicken 1994.

And in that case a version of Quicken 6 is needed to get it to a point where you stand a chance to convert it to a newer version.  They use to provide a version of Quicken 6 to do this conversion on that web page, but have since removed it.  I think the main reason for that is Quicken 6 is a 16-bit program so it will not run on a 64 bit Windows (they run 32 and 64 bit program), which is what most people are running these days.  32-bit versions of Windows can run 16 and 32 bit programs.
    edited October 2018
    It is version 4. and when I do the about it says copyright 1992-1994. I pulled out the original floppy's and in teeny tiny writing it says 1994. I have been using it a long long time. I like it and I figure if it "ain't broke why mess with it". But I know in the grand scheme of things I am not going to be able to run xp for ever. One time I did run the calendar up to see when it would go back to 1900, and I found I could use it until December 31st 2026. January 1st it would go back to 1900.

QPW, should I skip getting Q98 and just get Q2004? And like Greg says go to Q2013 and put that on the xp box.
    edited October 2018
    You could try downloading Q2004 from https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/Support_Files/QW04DLX.exe and see if it will convert your Q1994 data. Make sure to backup everything first.
    edited August 2017
    I know in Version 4 the files are backed up as QDATA, what are they called in newer versions?
    edited August 2017
    QDATA is the default Quicken file name. Just manually make a copy of your Quicken data File(s) somewhere.
    edited October 2018
    A different option would be to run Virtual Machine software like Oracle VirtualBox and run a copy of Win XP in it so that you could continue to run your ancient copy of Quicken V4 until the VM software doesn't support Win XP any longer.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

It is version 4. and when I do the about it says copyright 1992-1994. I pulled out the original floppy's and in teeny tiny writing it says 1994. I have been using it a long long time. I like it and I figure if it "ain't broke why mess with it". But I know in the grand scheme of things I am not going to be able to run xp for ever. One time I did run the calendar up to see when it would go back to 1900, and I found I could use it until December 31st 2026. January 1st it would go back to 1900.

QPW, should I skip getting Q98 and just get Q2004? And like Greg says go to Q2013 and put that on the xp box.

Hmm I guess I was wrong about the 4 not lining up with a year.  It seems that Quicken 6 lines up with 1996 so I guess all 1 through 6 are like that (There is no 7).  The reason I think I was fooled is that in 1998 Windows 98 came out and then companies like Intuit copied that that is why it is known as Quicken 98.

BTW the type of the file set probably are more an indication of how old they are, but they also didn't change for long periods of time so it is hard to say what they really indicate.  The ones from my 1992 data are:

I just loaded Quicken 6 (which does have the copyright of 1996) And here is its types:

Here is a list the extension types for each version:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions
    edited October 2018
    I know my Quicken 4 runs on my XP box. I am looking on e-bay for the quicken98, to start upgrading to the Quicken 2017 deluxe, The copies on e-bay say it installs on "
    Windowns 3.1, 95 & NT C1997". Does anyone know will 98 install on Xp?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I know my Quicken 4 runs on my XP box. I am looking on e-bay for the quicken98, to start upgrading to the Quicken 2017 deluxe, The copies on e-bay say it installs on "

It should install fine.  But did you try converting using Quicken 2004 first?
    Did it fail?
    edited August 2017

i have not ordered Q98 yet. Should I just go and find a copy of Q2004 and try and install that?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Yes. Try Q 2004 and download from the link given above by Greg the Geek.
    Be sure you keep good backups of every step going forward so you don't accidentally burn your bridges.
    edited August 2017

You could try downloading Q2004 from https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/Support_Files/QW04DLX.exe and see if it will convert your Q1994 data. Make sure to backup everything first.

is this a patch or is it the full blown q2004?
    edited August 2017

Full version.
    edited September 2017

Sorry I have been away from this thread for a bit. My windows 7 machine got hacked so I had to get it rebuilt before I can start thinking about updating from version 4. I have a copy of 2004 deluxe, So can I go from version 4 directly to 2004. Or do I still need to go from version 4 to 98. Then from 98 to 2004? After I get 2004 installed, What version do I need to go to next before I can import the data to 2017 Deluxe?. Thanks
    edited September 2017

The old instructions (which Quicken does not support any longer with software) called for conversion from V4 to V6 to 98 to 2004.

At least the is the sequence that I remember.  The problem is that V6 and 98 are no longer available at this link: Using an Intermediate Version To Convert Older Versions of Quicken - Quicken® Support

It can't hurt to try going from V4 to 2004.

You might also try exporting from V4 to .QIF files and import them.  They will require some cleanup, but it might work.

edited September 2017

Thanks.
    Once I get it to 2004 what do I need to do to get it where 2017 can use the data?
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

May I ask if you plan to or want to download your transactions when you get converted to a newer version?  Since you have not been using any online services and might not be interested in downloading I would only get Quicken 2013.  I don't download or do any online stuff in Quicken so I'm sticking with 2013.  Starting in 2014 they added an ID requirement you have to log in with. 

Since you have the 2004 CD you could try using that for awhile.  Oh, FYI - you probably know your data is kept in a series of files.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010. 
    edited September 2017

Once in 2004, 2017 will read/convert it directly.

If you are going to stay in manual mode, volvogirl's suggestion of QW2013 Deluxe or higher is a great idea.  Staying away from any Intuit/Quicken Id is a good idea.

edited September 2017

I back up my data to another partition on my xp box
  • RhinecliffRhinecliff Member
    edited September 2017

@ robert verner ..   You state  "I back up my data to another partition on my xp box".

I recommend you back up to something other then another partition on your hard drive.  When that old XP computer's hard drive dies (it will) you will lose all your Quicken backups.  I suggest that you do Quicken manual back-ups to a thumb drive, etc.. Sure you can also back up to that old hard drive.

Also, I agree that a move to Quicken 2013 Deluxe would be a good way to go.  You can download the R updates for Quicken 2013 here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    edited September 2017

I use to back it up to a thumb drive but then the thumb drive died. That is why I backed it up to another partition.
    I understand that the xp hard drive will die. That is why I want to finally upgrade to 2017 and put it on my windows 7 64bit computer. And put the back ups out on my external hard drive. I have 23 years of data I want to save.
    edited September 2017

Concerning backups, the idea is to NOT rely on backups to media that is permanently attached or in your computer.  Anything that might do damage to your computer (fire, water, lightning, etc) can wipe out your backups.

So, whether the media is a usb hard drive, a thumbdrive or the cloud,  the important thing is that at least some of that backup not be near your computer. 

If using thumbdrives or usb harddrives, it is important to use more than one and rotate between them so that if one dies, the other is still available.

edited September 2017

I will worry about back ups once I get my data up to 2017. But once I get it to work in 2004 on my XP pc, what do I do next so I can import my data to 2017 on my windows 7?
    edited September 2017

On the XP computer, do a Quicken Backup to a thumbdrive.

Install QW2017 Deluxe (or higher) on the Win7 computer.

When you run Quicken 2017 for the first time, it will ask about prior data, point it at the backup on the thumbdrive and make sure that Quicken creates the data file in the Quicken folder under My Documents (the default location).

edited September 2017

Thanks. Once I get to 2004 can I jump directly to 2017 or is there any other intermediate Versions I need to get? Like 2013? Or can I go 2004 --> 2017?