QWin 2017: Build R10 build 26.1.10.8 and the program now downloads and stores a file called INET to

Comments

• RhinecliffRhinecliff Member
    edited August 2017

I think I found the fix of this problem after the R-10 update.  Right click the Quicken icon on the desktop.  If the Start In box is empty type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" or whatever folder your qw.exe file is located on your computer.

After making this change the INET folder no longer appears on my desktop after closing the program.

No cigar for you, Jason..
  • Darla WellsDarla Wells Member
    edited August 2017

I think I found the fix of this problem after the R-10 update.  Right click the Quicken icon on the desktop.  If the Start In box is empty type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" or whatever folder your qw.exe file is located on your computer.

After making this change the INET folder no longer appears on my desktop after closing the program.

Jason...You win the prize! That fix works!
  • Joe SmithJoe Smith Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Works.  Thanks!
  • James UtzJames Utz Member
    edited August 2017

I'm pretty sure this doesn't stop it from happening - it just forces it to happen in a place where you don't look or see it often.  I can't believe we have traded the "debug.log" trash file on our desktops for the INET/COMMON trash folder problem.  Fix one thing and break something else...
  • edited August 2017

Agree, that doesn't solve the INET folder problem.  R10 has a problem.  Why do I do updates?? 
  • KarlKarl Member
    edited August 2017

Actually, by doing this the INET folder does not get created
    anywhere anymore (at least for me). But I agree that R10 has a problem; for one thing (other than
    the INET irritation), I've noticed Quicken takes about twice as long to load
    now.

Also, props should be given to Mark Clark, who posted this solution two days
    ago.

• Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks, all, for posting this issue--we're investigating this with the dev team to find a permanent solution--big thanks to the folks here who have posted workarounds!

Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • caogdincaogdin Member
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

Rhinecliff said: "I have been doing some lets call it testing tonight and indeed I am seeing  "This folder will be created in the folder where your Quicken is "started from".  I do not have a shortcut for Quicken on my desktops so no Inet there on my PC's."

Have you checked your Quicken program shortcut icon? 
    From the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken program start icon.
    Click "Open File Location". 
    This should take you to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken 2017.lnk
    Right-click the file, click Properties. If necessary, select the Shortcut tab.
    Is there a folder name entered in the field "Start in:" ...?
    This field should be empty.

Is it possible you're using a homegrown shortcut or a remnant of an older Q version instead of what comes with Q 2017?

Not the case here.  Removed an older edition of Quicken, did full "cleanup" per Intuit's recommendations at https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken, Ran CCleaner, and confirmed no traces of older version remained.  Then, Installed Quicken 2017 (H&B) and opened the migrated database.  Flawless.  Affirmed update installation, and am now at R10 (v26.1.10.28). And, now, every time I close Quicken, this same useless folder appears.

It's easily deleted, but it's a reminder of how unreliable some Intuit software can be, and how little they follow customers' concerns to remedy problems in their products.
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

Rhinecliff said: "I have been doing some lets call it testing tonight and indeed I am seeing  "This folder will be created in the folder where your Quicken is "started from".  I do not have a shortcut for Quicken on my desktops so no Inet there on my PC's."

This should take you to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken 2017.lnk

Is it possible you're using a homegrown shortcut or a remnant of an older Q version instead of what comes with Q 2017?

This problem is being investigated by Quicken Dev Team.
    So hopefully a fix is coming soon.

Quicken software is not owned by Intuit any more.
    It now owned by Quicken Inc.
    That were sold.
    See  https://www.quicken.com/about-us/press/quicken-completes-acquisition-hig-capital-and-outlines-vision
    Quicken Windows Premier 2019
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • caogdincaogdin Member
    edited August 2017
    UKR said:

Thanks for clearing up the confusion I had.
  • caogdincaogdin Member
    edited August 2017

I also have the INET folder problem. I checked my shortcut on my desktop and noticed it had nothing in the Start In properties box. I added the folder Quicken is in and deleted the INET folder. Now after starting Quicken and exiting there is no more INET folder on my desktop.

Even though this fixed my problem I'm certain there was a problem with the R10 update. After it was applied I had several issues. First one was my Anti Virus said QW.exe was acting suspicious and it wanted to fix it. I said ignore and it completed. Second was not being able to log in. Just got a white box that said log in but no place to do it. Started Quicken several times and it went from that to a spinning circle and then finally got the login box.

Hopefully Quicken issues a fix for the R10 release.

This fix (putting the path to the Quicken Executable "Start in" field worked for me...and I already had R10 installed, so it wasn't fixed with that.
  • Jack YoungJack Young Member
    edited August 2017

Worked great for me!
    Thanks
  • Bill JamiesonBill Jamieson Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm glad to at least know the source of the INET folder that keeps reappearing on my desktop.  I was afraid it might be malware or worse.  My desktop Q icon does properly link to the Quicken program in the correct folder just as it did before R10 so I don't know why the INET folder appears on my desktop.  But if I delete it, it just comes back when I close Quicken.  Hope they fix this soon!
  • Jack YoungJack Young Member
    edited August 2017

WORKS GREAT!
  • Joel HolcombJoel Holcomb Member
    edited August 2017

I also have the INET folder problem. I checked my shortcut on my desktop and noticed it had nothing in the Start In properties box. I added the folder Quicken is in and deleted the INET folder. Now after starting Quicken and exiting there is no more INET folder on my desktop.

Even though this fixed my problem I'm certain there was a problem with the R10 update. After it was applied I had several issues. First one was my Anti Virus said QW.exe was acting suspicious and it wanted to fix it. I said ignore and it completed. Second was not being able to log in. Just got a white box that said log in but no place to do it. Started Quicken several times and it went from that to a spinning circle and then finally got the login box.

This worked for me as well.  I was seeing the INET folder on both my desktop and the folder where my Quicken data file is located (My Documents\Quicken).  Obviously a bug in the recent R10 update.
  • RonniePincusRonniePincus Member
    edited August 2017

Worked for me as well.  I updated a transaction and saved it, did a backup and closed Quicken and no more INET folder on the desktop.  I didn't download any transactions yet however.
    edited August 2017

Worked for me also.  I updated a transaction and saved it, did a
    backup and closed Quicken and no more INET folder on the desktop.  I
    didn't download any transactions yet however.
  • Bob DaBlobBob DaBlob Member
    edited August 2017
    I am on the R10 build as of some few weeks ago. 
    I have 2 instances of the INET folder, one in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" folder where the QW.exe is located and one on my desktop.  I recall deleting the folder from my desktop and then experiencing some problems entering my Quicken password to perform a stock quote update.  I was not seeing anyplace to actually type in the password...so I force-closed Quicken and re-launched and it worked ok...but now I have INET on desktop again.
    Start In box is empty...
  • Tony BlaksleyTony Blaksley Member
    edited September 2017
    UKR said:

I'm experiencing the same issue, interested in stopping this from happening.
  • Greg GriffinGreg Griffin Member
    edited September 2017

This fix solved my problem as well.  Once again Quicken Inc.'s QA (Quality Assurance0 is questionable.  It will be interesting to see who bites on their 2018 go forward of "subscription based software only".  This is not the first time I have experienced and reported a pesky bug - that while not fatal - should have been spotted before release or at least fixed quickly  after reporting.  Maybe it's time for another player in this space that delivers a quality product - remember what happened to Ashton Tate  when dBase IV was a turd way back when......
  • edited September 2017

Yes, this also fixed it for me.  BUT IT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!  I've been using Q for many years and fully depend on it.  It seems about every other release has a non trivial bug in it.  One of the previous releases when starting Q it would just give you a blank page.  I think clicking on anything on the page and it would populate and I think there was a different way to start that ver of Q to make it start properly.  It was fixed in the next release.

I knew that Q is now a separate company not part of Intuit but I didn't know they were going to a subscription based software.  That's a shame.  There used to be MS Money and once or twice I thought about switching, but that option is no more.  So with no competition most of us will have to accept the subscription model.  Again, what a shame!!!

Gerry

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

IF you download quotes/card/bank/etc transactions into Q, you're ALREADY on a subscription model.  Q "sunsets" and ceases to download on 4/30 (for Q US) 3 years after the product year.  So, Q2017 will no longer be able to download after 4/30/20. (Dates for Q Cda are different).

What's being discussed is reducing that to 1 year, which has been implemented for Q Canada starting with Q2017 Canada ... but no such announcement has been made for Q US.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • edited September 2017

Yes, I do download all that stuff and I know every version of Q has a sunset date forcing me to buy a newer version.  But as you say that's usually on a 3 year cycle.  A subscription cycle is usually on a 1 year cycle which is just more annoying!  Hopefully the 1 year charge will be set at about 1/3 the price of a new version so that it works out about the same.  But who knows what it will be!

Interestingly changing the "Start in" field of the shortcut to the location of the Q file has definitely solved the problem.  But I was concerned that I might get multiple INET folders at that location which could waste space.  So I took a look  and surprisingly there was no INET folder at all!  So this bug only creates an INET folder if there is nothing in the "Start in" field.  STRANGE!!!

Gerry

• Jason GittmanJason Gittman Member
    edited September 2017

When you use the fix I provided, the empty INET is created as one of the many subfolders in your Quicken folder on your C drive.  It only gets created once and does not waste space.  It is out of sight...out of mind.
  • edited September 2017

That's what I thought would happen but I just ran Q, exited and double checked the location and there's no INET folder!  It doesn't matter as Q seems to be working fine and I'm not getting the INET on the desktop any more.  But its strange that you seem to have the INET in the Q file's location but I don't!

Gerry

edited September 2017

Well, my Windows 10 is 32-bit and there is indeed an empty INET folder in C:\Program Files\Quicken that has the same created date as when I added to "start in" path to the desktop shortcut properties.  Perhaps it's different for the 64-bit Windows - C:\Program Files (X86)\Quicken folder?
  • edited September 2017

Yes, I'm running Win 10 64-bit.  But I did initially get the desktop INET folder which I deleted.  When I changed the "Start in" I don't get INET anywhere!  Still very strange!

Are you the Ronnie that was having problems with Norton Identity Safe?  If so mine is still working so far but I have not had any Win 10 updates yet.

Gerry

edited September 2017

Hi Gerry, yes I am!  I know it's OT, but I wish there was a similar workaround for the Norton ID Safe issue as well.  Mine is still acting up, actually even on this boot-up.  There is another Norton thread that reflects my issue more accurately (happens only at startup) in case you're curious:  
    https://community.norton.com/en/forums/identity-safe-turned-start
  • edited September 2017

One quick OT reply.  I think I saw that thread already.  If my problem reoccurs I will post in the appropriate thread or threads!  Good luck!

Gerry

• Greg GriffinGreg Griffin Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks, all, for posting this issue--we're investigating this with the dev team to find a permanent solution--big thanks to the folks here who have posted workarounds!

Quicken Kathryn

So how long does it take Quicken to investigate, verify and SOLVE a problem that was introduced in a regular Update?  This is a pattern that is getting irritating at the very time the Intuit-spun-off Quicken Company is moving everyone to a subscription model willingly or not.  TICK TOCK the clock is ticking on users' patience if a better mousetrap hits the market - well you know - Remember Ashton-Tate (dBase) they thought users could live with bugs....and....