QWin 2017: Build R10 build 26.1.10.8 and the program now downloads and stores a file called INET to

13»

Comments

• RickRick Member
    edited September 2017
    What is this new INET folder being created on my Desktop after the installation of Version R10 Build 26.1.10.8 for Quicken Deluxe 2017 ???  I delete it and it comes back.  Why?  What is amazing is this update did not happen until today, 9/8/17, and yet this problem has been going on for at least 2 months according to previous posts on this problem.  Really...???  You did not update your release yet?
  • Rick KreinerRick Kreiner Member
    edited September 2017

I think I found the fix of this problem after the R-10 update.  Right click the Quicken icon on the desktop.  If the Start In box is empty type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" or whatever folder your qw.exe file is located on your computer.

After making this change the INET folder no longer appears on my desktop after closing the program.

Worked for me too.  Today was the install of this release and yet the problem has been going on for a while.  Why didn't Quicken fix this problem before sending the update to me today on 9/8/17 ??
  • Kris MacurdyKris Macurdy Member
    edited September 2017

I think I found the fix of this problem after the R-10 update.  Right click the Quicken icon on the desktop.  If the Start In box is empty type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" or whatever folder your qw.exe file is located on your computer.

After making this change the INET folder no longer appears on my desktop after closing the program.

Worked for me!
  • MWFMWF Member
    edited September 2017

Works for me also.  Thanks Jason.
  • BK1BK1 Member
    edited September 2017
    UKR said:

Rhinecliff said: "I have been doing some lets call it testing tonight and indeed I am seeing  "This folder will be created in the folder where your Quicken is "started from".  I do not have a shortcut for Quicken on my desktops so no Inet there on my PC's."

Have you checked your Quicken program shortcut icon? 
    From the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken program start icon.
    Click "Open File Location". 
    This should take you to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken 2017.lnk
    Right-click the file, click Properties. If necessary, select the Shortcut tab.
    Is there a folder name entered in the field "Start in:" ...?
    This field should be empty.

Is it possible you're using a homegrown shortcut or a remnant of an older Q version instead of what comes with Q 2017?

I am experiencing both the debug & INET folders being created on the desktop build 26.1.10.8 windows 7 pro 64-bit SP1
  • RobertRobert Member
    edited September 2017

When you do the Quicken 2017 R10 update, it places a sub folder called "INET" in the folder you keep your Quicken data file(s) on your hard drive in.  DON'T keep your QW data file on the desktop and you won't have that INET sub folder on the desktop.   As for me, my Quicken data files are kept in a folder on my hard drive called QW .  After the R10 update, I now have a sub folder named INET in the folder QW.

I should mention that the sub folder INET has a  subfolder in it entitled COMMON and that folder is empty.  We may soon hear from Quicken reps here that it is aok to just delete the INET folder and the folder named COMMON in that folder.  Until that time I would not delete either the folder named INET or COMMON.

I do not have my Quicken data file or any other files associated with Quicken on the desktop, but the INET folder is on my desktop. I've deleted it numerous times, but every time I restart my computer this folder shows up. Not hurtful I don't believe, but certainly annoying ...
  • Joe GavinJoe Gavin Member
    edited September 2017
    UKR said:

Rhinecliff said: "I have been doing some lets call it testing tonight and indeed I am seeing  "This folder will be created in the folder where your Quicken is "started from".  I do not have a shortcut for Quicken on my desktops so no Inet there on my PC's."

Have you checked your Quicken program shortcut icon? 
    From the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken program start icon.
    Click "Open File Location". 
    This should take you to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Quicken 2017.lnk
    Right-click the file, click Properties. If necessary, select the Shortcut tab.
    Is there a folder name entered in the field "Start in:" ...?
    This field should be empty.

Is it possible you're using a homegrown shortcut or a remnant of an older Q version instead of what comes with Q 2017?

Changing my existing shortcut to start in the quicken directory did it.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    For whatever it's worth, the problem appears if the default Quicken shortcut on the desktop is used to invoke Quicken.  It can be circumvented by modifying the shortcut (right-click properties) to "Start in:" the directory where your Quicken file is located - my case is Documents/Quicken directory.  Then the inet directory gets created there and not on the desktop.
  • Mark ClarkMark Clark Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks, all, for posting this issue--we're investigating this with the dev team to find a permanent solution--big thanks to the folks here who have posted workarounds!

Quicken Kathryn

I've also been waiting for a fix. Can someone from Quicken please comment?
  • Kids FirstKids First Member
    edited September 2017

Works for me also. Thanks
  • edited September 2017

When you do the Quicken 2017 R10 update, it places a sub folder called "INET" in the folder you keep your Quicken data file(s) on your hard drive in.  DON'T keep your QW data file on the desktop and you won't have that INET sub folder on the desktop.   As for me, my Quicken data files are kept in a folder on my hard drive called QW .  After the R10 update, I now have a sub folder named INET in the folder QW.

I should mention that the sub folder INET has a  subfolder in it entitled COMMON and that folder is empty.  We may soon hear from Quicken reps here that it is aok to just delete the INET folder and the folder named COMMON in that folder.  Until that time I would not delete either the folder named INET or COMMON.

Updated to R10 this week. INET folder showed on my desktop.  I do not have my Q data file on desktop.  Deleted INET; it came back.  An additional problem since there was another automatic update by the system this same week:

During an automatic update this week (9/10-15/2017), an INET
    folder was created and put on my desktop. 
    Since then, when trying to go from any web page in Chrome to Home, I am
    directed to file:///C:/Users/Tom/Desktop/INET/
    and the information shown is Index of C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\INET\COMMON\.  I have to close Chrome and restart it to get
    to my Home page.  What is going on??

[email protected]
  • edited September 2017

I never have had my Quicken files on my desktop, yet I now have an INET folder on my desktop.  I am up to Quicken R14 and still have the folder.  The only time I have found that the folder is a pain (other than having it on my desktop) is when I use Chrome to access the internet.  When I click the "Home" icon, I wind up on an INET webpage that will not let me get to Home.  I have to exit Chrome and re-enter it or type in my home page web address to get Home.  Great big pain and unnecessary.  How do I get rid of it?
  • ms-mikims-miki Member
    edited December 2017
    My question here is what is the purpose of this directory.  I have seen 2 different responses on what to enter in the shortcut  - 1) where your Quicken Program resides, 2) where your data file exists.  Yes changing the location on the shortcut icon removes the directory from the desktop, but the purpose that it serves need to be identified so the location where it is NEEDED can be appropriately determined - (Program folder or data file folder?)   I also agree that a delay in addressing the a response to the issue is frustrating.
  • rpgarrett75703rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    ms-miki said:

My question here is what is the purpose of this directory.  I have seen 2 different responses on what to enter in the shortcut  - 1) where your Quicken Program resides, 2) where your data file exists.  Yes changing the location on the shortcut icon removes the directory from the desktop, but the purpose that it serves need to be identified so the location where it is NEEDED can be appropriately determined - (Program folder or data file folder?)   I also agree that a delay in addressing the a response to the issue is frustrating.

The real INET folder is located in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken. If use the location of my Quicken data file in the shortcut properties then it creates an INET folder there. However, if I use the location of my Quicken program (C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken) then it doesn't create an INET folder. I thought they were supposed to address this problem since I believe it started in R10. I haven't installed the latest patch yet (R14) so I can't say it was fixed or not.
  • tnstns Member
    edited December 2017
    ms-miki said:

As you said should be the directory your quicken data files are (mine is not where yours is).  It should not be in Program Files(x86)\quicken or your desktop.  If you program directory is protected like mine it is failing to create the files and not sure what problem that might create.