QMac 2017: Account "DEAD"; Error 324

Hi, brand new Quicken user (24 hours). Using Quicken Mac 2017. I spent a HUGE amount of time linking accounts, importing data, cleaning up transaction data, adding notes, adding various tags, creating reports, etc. To make it easier to identify credit card accounts, I changed two Chase credit card account names to an English name rather than the account number. A few hours later, I tried to update the accounts. You know what happens -- Account "DEAD"; Error 324.
I've read a dozen very unhappy customers with the same intractable problem going back at least a year. How the HELL can a supposedly mature 30 year old product have this problem? This is OUTRAGEOUS.

I've tried all the fixes list on many threads, but nothing works at all. I'm about at my wit's end and ready to go back to entering data in Excel. I thought Quicken was promising and still better than the online cloud based tools, but I'm having serious second thoughts.

Is there a REAL fix for this mess? It doesn't seem promising based on all the anguish I've been reading. Have I just wasted 10 hours setting the thing up only to learn about a mission-critical flaw that should have been fixed years ago? Why the HELL don't you people warn people about this bug when they buy the product? Or prevent people from changing their account names? Or at least throw up a warning that you may screw things up if you change the account name.

What lousy programmer decided that you would match on an FI Name instead of a behind the scenes fixe ID number? That is insane!

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    What is the exact name of the Financial Institution showing in account settings? What is the Connection Type? 

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • edited August 2017
    I posted about this before as well. My Bank of America checking account updates, but my credit card is reported as DEAD...it's not! I gave up trying to find a solution. Hoping for a fix sometime soon. For now, I manually enter transactions and check them cleared as I see them come in on the bank's website. Fortunately, I only use this card for limited purchases.
  • edited August 2017
    Here's my original post on this: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...
  • Ken W.Ken W. Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Steve, et. al.: I experienced the same problem with my AmEx credit card a few days ago. I called Quicken's Tech Support and, after enabling Screen Sharing, the support person lead me through a procedure of first created a backup and then deactivated and reactivated all my credit card downloads. This remedied the problem BUT created many duplicate entries in my credit card accounts that I had to manually delete. It is entirely possible that your financial organization did some behind-the-scenes "improvement" to their software and Quicken is not to blame. It's hard to say since the financial organizations rarely "fess up" to changing their software. I'd suggest calling Quicken Tech Support. My experience with (most) of the individuals has been outstanding. One other suggestion regarding elimination of duplicate entries. I've gotten in the habit of using the "Memo/Notes" column in the Registers. If a duplicate entry is created the "Memo/Notes" column is not duplicated. This makes tracking down duplicate entries much easier. Good luck!
  • SteveDSteveD Member
    edited August 2017
    All, thanks for you help. Sorry for being so angry and ranting in my first post here. Turns out I went into Chase and got rid of the Nickname, then reconnected Quicken to Chase. That fixed the "Dead Account" problem. I find it interesting that the account name is used to match as opposed to a behind the scenes account ID number. That's too bad that I cannot change the Chase account names now and have to stick with the credit card number rather than an English name. It's odd at their end that they don't have a second field for the nickname and keep the original name intact. They call it a "nickname," but it seems to be the main account name you are changing, not a nickname in a separate field. 
  • SteveDSteveD Member
    edited August 2017
    RickO said:

What is the exact name of the Financial Institution showing in account settings? What is the Connection Type? 

Hi, Rick. FI = Chase; Connection Type = Quicken Connect.
    I seemed to have fixed the problem by logging into Chase and getting rid of the Nicknames I created for 2 of my 3 credit cards. So in the Chase system, I see the CC account numbers, not account names. At least that got Quicken working again.