Request that check images also be automatically downloaded and attached to transactions

It would be great if the images that are associated with cleared checks were also automatically downloaded and attached to the transaction in Quicken.  That would help speed up my accounting process greatly.
1 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    GOD NO!!!  Unless it's an option that must be turned ON to receive it.  I don't want all of that clutter in my Q data file.

Also note, that such would require a fair amount of work by the banks ... so it's not apparent why THEY would want to do so.  Nor what the banks would charge for such a service.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • CTM42CTM42 Member
    edited March 2018
    Even if it were limited to local/atm deposits, the images of the checks deposited would be very helpful.
  • Steve SalaminSteve Salamin Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes. I agree. Great idea! Optional (on/off). Simple bank-image jpg downloaded with the Check # transaction, attached to the transaction, would be REALLY nice.  Understandably - this is new territory for banks and Quicken.  Nice enhanced feature though.  What do you say, Q?
  • PatrickPatrick Member ✭✭
    edited January 18

I agree. Being able to view check images from the Quicken register would save me lots of time manually reconciling the Payee from my Bank's online website.

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    hello ddionnehb,

Are you still experiencing issues?

Please let us know. If there is no response within 48 hours, the thread will be closed.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
    edited April 2018

hello ddionnehb,

Are you still experiencing issues?

Please let us know. If there is no response within 48 hours, the thread will be closed.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Harold, this is an IDEA thread ... not a problem.
    edited October 2018
    And to all who like this idea ... why can't you just scan and attach the check before you send it?

Do you expect that your bank would provide BOTH the front and the back of the check ... thus doubling the size of the download?
    edited January 27
    Black and white (gray) 8-bit images at maybe 100 dpi tops the size of a check, fronts and backs, are tiny in Kb.  The bank already scans them now. They have the images. They provide the images with bank statements. Make them downloadable.  Maybe even Deposit Slips too on/for your account - also scanned nowadays.  And of course... an option to enable, or not. But an option nonetheless.
  • There's so much difficulty right now in just getting transactions to download correctly...I can only imagine the issues users would have getting their bank to download the fronts and backs of cancelled checks.

Just another added layer looking for problems.  

Besides, there are probably so few checks written any more with online banking...wouldn't it be easier just to go to the bank's website and see them from there?

As to the original op's question..."would help to speed up my accounting process".  I fail to see how having the images of cancelled checks speeds up ANYTHING in the accounting process.

Isn't that why banks have stopped mailing you cancelled checks in the first place?  Because it accomplishes nothing in the accounting process.

You write a check...it gets cashed.  You download the transaction into Quicken or manually enter it.

Every month you reconcile your account.  

Please tell me where an image of a cancelled check even comes into play here?  Every check that clears is on your statement.  In the case of manual entry, I can see where you might have skipped entering a transaction into Quicken (akin to not entering it into a paper register).  Then, and only then, would you might have to see the check.

But in the day of online banking and downloading transactions into Quicken, I can honestly say I would have ZERO use for that feature.  
    edited April 2018

Black and white (gray) 8-bit images at maybe 100 dpi tops the size of a check, fronts and backs, are tiny in Kb.  The bank already scans them now. They have the images. They provide the images with bank statements. Make them downloadable.  Maybe even Deposit Slips too on/for your account - also scanned nowadays.  And of course... an option to enable, or not. But an option nonetheless.

So, why can't you scan the check before you send it?

And, you're neglecting that there's no provision in the OFX/QFX specification for downloading images ... and that EVERY bank that provides downloads using those specs would have to agree to the change.
    edited October 2018
    You know something?  I'm not here to argue. If this feature is not useful to you, please contribute something constructive on another "idea" thread. This is how life becomes better.  A suggestion today MIGHT make this easier for all in the future.  My wife uses her checkbook and writes checks that I don't catch for a month or two later. I'd like to see the check when it is posted.  She's away and I don't have the recording of the check.  OK?  I could come up with other scenarios.  It's called an idea for some enhanced features.  We may not see it today, but maybe in the future.  If I can snap a picture and make a remote deposit today, what's the diff.?  None.  It's called convenience. Thank you.
  • You know something?  I'm not here to argue. If this feature is not useful to you, please contribute something constructive on another "idea" thread. This is how life becomes better.  A suggestion today MIGHT make this easier for all in the future.  My wife uses her checkbook and writes checks that I don't catch for a month or two later. I'd like to see the check when it is posted.  She's away and I don't have the recording of the check.  OK?  I could come up with other scenarios.  It's called an idea for some enhanced features.  We may not see it today, but maybe in the future.  If I can snap a picture and make a remote deposit today, what's the diff.?  None.  It's called convenience. Thank you.

1 Obviously you aren't downloading transactions into Quicken...because if you did, when your wife wrote a check and she didn't record it, it would still download.

Try exploring that feature with Quicken.

And if you're not downloading transactions into Quicken, how in the heck would you expect the check to be downloaded showing the front and back of the check?  

Your argument makes no sense...because to get either you'd need to have downloaded it from the bank.  

And because I DO download my transactions into Quicken, I don't even write my transactions in the paper check register any more.

Of course, I also use my credit card to pay 95% of my bills, 4.9% get paid online from my bank or directly from a website (such as gas, electric, water, my credit cards) and maybe 0.1% (one or two checks a month) get paid with a paper check.  

2 I'm about 99.99% sure your bank has online access...you know, it's called a "website".  At that site, you can see EVERY transaction that's come through...including pending transactions that haven't cleared yet.

And from every banking site I've seen, you can view the checks from there.

So...there's that resource to get the info you need, even if you manually enter transactions and forget to enter it into the register.

BTW, if you have multiple instances of that occurring, you might want to invest in duplicate checks.  

I'm also not here to argue the case.  I think it's an unnecessary request, one that will never be implemented because it would be nothing short of a gargantuan headache for Quicken, a gargantuan frustration for Quicken users when the checks don't get downloaded for viewing and impossible for the banks to implement on their end. 

But you can always dream that Quicken will add it.  
    edited April 2018

You know something?  I'm not here to argue. If this feature is not useful to you, please contribute something constructive on another "idea" thread. This is how life becomes better.  A suggestion today MIGHT make this easier for all in the future.  My wife uses her checkbook and writes checks that I don't catch for a month or two later. I'd like to see the check when it is posted.  She's away and I don't have the recording of the check.  OK?  I could come up with other scenarios.  It's called an idea for some enhanced features.  We may not see it today, but maybe in the future.  If I can snap a picture and make a remote deposit today, what's the diff.?  None.  It's called convenience. Thank you.

1. The payee doesn't download. Duh.
    2. I'm have no reason to justify anything more to you.
    Thank you and have a good evening. Done here.
  • CTM42CTM42 Member
    edited April 2018

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your comments on this. Like you--and I suspect many others--the wife and perhaps other family members write a bunch of checks, and I do the QW.  Our bank (BofA) added a feature that could have been helpful, but even that doesn't work with Express Web Connect, though it does with plain Web Connect. I'll post a topic on that tonight. Gotta run.  Thanks again.
    Chris
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

The difference is that the ones by the FI show info o f the clearing of them AND captures what the banks see...Very useful for all kinds of reasons, including legal ones...

And I have had cheques altered before processing...ones own scans cannot capture this.

Quicken can now download statements, not part of the OFX/QFX spec...and nothing to do with this...So it is reasonable to request this... 

BTW, not saying I have a particularly high interested in the feature but do see how it would be useful.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited April 2018

GoHawks

The whole point of IDEA threads is to allow users to request features... It is up to Quicken to prioritize or choose not to implement a feature. 

Discussions in IDEA threads should be about the nature of the IDEA and have healthy conversation on that and not to try to dissuade the request at all.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited April 2018

ones own scans cannot capture this.
    Very simply addressed.  If the downloaded transaction differs from the amount that you originally recorded in Q, then go to the bank's website and manually download the image then. 

Additional, unneeded, downloads of images simply cause file bloat.
    edited April 2018

@Steve, are you claiming that other users aren't allowed to criticize your ideas?
    edited April 2018

Same procedure and argument can be made for account statements...yet Quicken handles those, however questionable.

There is no need to argue the request for this feature. That should be Quicken to decide if they want to include it.

edited April 2018

and have healthy conversation on that
    HEALTHY conversation includes criticism, and suggesting alternatives.  Otherwise it's simply promotion.
    edited April 2018

This is an IDEA thread...

if the idea appeals to you, add your vote. If not, what purpose is served by dissuading someone from making the request? Quicken will still have to review the discussion and make their own call on it anyway.

• ddionnehbddionnehb Member
    edited April 2018

And to all who like this idea ... why can't you just scan and attach the check before you send it?

Do you expect that your bank would provide BOTH the front and the back of the check ... thus doubling the size of the download?

the whole point of this idea is to minimize my time spent on this... scanning the checks my self would be more work than just using the banks website... your solution is worse than the current workaround. i just dont understand why youre so aggresively negative about this seemingly reasonable request.
    edited January 26

if your main complaint is storage you need to step out of the 80s
  • Black and white (gray) 8-bit images at maybe 100 dpi tops the size of a check, fronts and backs, are tiny in Kb.  The bank already scans them now. They have the images. They provide the images with bank statements. Make them downloadable.  Maybe even Deposit Slips too on/for your account - also scanned nowadays.  And of course... an option to enable, or not. But an option nonetheless.

If your main complaint is accessing data that is readily available from an other source, please step out of your cave. 

If you want to download check images, then download them from your banks website and attach them to your transaction in Quicken.  

I don't want or need redundancy in software.  I can see my credit score from twenty different sources (credit card accounts, bank, Credit Karma).

I can access Zillow to look up a property's incorrect value from multiple sources (mobile phone app, online website).

I can do what you request without Quicken adding more buggy software, more bad download connections and just plain messing it up...along with the rest of their software. 

What is maddening with Quicken development is that instead of fixing the issues that impact users daily, they insist on adding more bloat to the software that a minimal number of users find useful...which also results in more bugs or more things broken. 

Which, is the EXACT case of this suggestion.  
    edited April 2018

if your main complaint is storage you need to step out of the 80s
    My objection is NOT about storage ... it's about file bloat and it's documented impact on one's usage of Quicken.  AND the questionable usefulness of the image download since those images can ONLY be viewed from within Q, using Q's Viewer.
    Same procedure and argument can be made for account statements...yet Quicken handles those, however questionable.
    Would you care to describe how Q downloads STATEMENTS ... as opposed to downloading the transaction n those statements or attaching statements that you've downloaded outside of Q?
    edited April 2018

“If your main complaint is accessing data that is readily available from an other source, please step out of your cave”

you are actually trying to justify arguing against convenience ...

as for quickens bugs and lack of improvement on them, you are 100% correct. there are some really irritating (minor) ui bugs, that are impossible to not notice if you use the software, yet they go unfixed for years...

that does not mean we can't ask for new things though.

also i think the first response suggesting make it optional and off by default is a great suggestion to address all these concerns.
  • EricEric Member
    edited January 26

I would buy quicken only if it has the feature proposal here which actually i was searching for!  I do not know why banks do not offer this. Yes you can download image one at a time but that is ridiculously  tedious. 
  • lablover57lablover57 Member ✭✭
    edited January 27
    I want this for MAC too!!!
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
    edited January 27

I want this for MAC too!!!

Category already selected above! ;-)