Please add a record (transaction) flag variable to Quicken. (1 Merged Vote)

Please add a record (transaction) flag variable to Quicken.

This would allow one to flag records on a temporary basis individually or in batch.

Currently there is no way to denote that a record my require later attention in some way.  I want to use the flag to denote records to be further evaluated or corrected as I audit a given set of transactions. It would then be nice to filter out either flagged or unflagged records as may be needed for a particular purpose.

Thank you.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    How about just putting something in the MEMO field?  Or, at least in QWin, in the NOTES field?

And those are even searchable ... unlike the Status flags.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Are you making this request for Windows or Mac?  And what year version?

In Quicken Windows 2017 I believe most of what you are asking for already exists.   There's a little flag icon in the bottom left of each transaction that let's you add a flag:

When you click on it there are quite extensive options to add notes, use different colour flags and add an alert:

And at the top of the date column there's an option to sort by flags:

I'm afraid I don't know if Quicken for Mac has similar functionality.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2020 R23.17 on Windows 10 Pro v1909
    edited November 12
    This arrow icon only seems to be available if your account register is in 2-line mode ... which is why I've never seen it before.

In 1-line mode, right click on the transaction and there's a "Notes and Flag's" option to select.

But I still think that using the Memo field is easier.
  • Dental PainDental Pain Member ✭✭
    edited November 12
    Quicken Mac 2017 has no such "flag" functionality.

You can add a MEMO column, ACTION column or REFERENCE column to any account register...which presumably could be used for just about any notation a user would want to make. 
  • XCOXCO Member
    edited October 2018
    Request is for Mac Quicken 2017 and beyond.

The flag should be a filterable (and searchable) variable.
    edited November 12
    Well, you never specified that before now.  Which is why you're getting all these QWin responses.

You can still use the Memo field.  That function will NEVER be retrofitted into QM2017 and I don't have high hopes for it being in any upcoming products.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Now that this has been correctly filed as a Mac question, here are a couple of answers:

1) Turn on the Status column (menu View > Columns). This field is pretty much intended for just what you describe. There is a filter where you can filter for "Not Reviewed" and you can mark each transaction as reviewed or not. "Not Reviewed" would obviously indicate something that would require more attention.

2) You could use the Tag field. Here you can make up an tag you like. You can filter for it by using the search box in the upper right. And you can sort by that field. 

3) You could use the Action field in the same way as Tag. It is also searchable and sortable.

So, mission accomplished.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • XCOXCO Member
    edited September 2017
    The "Reviewed" variable is something different altogether.

I am looking for a Flag variable that allows me to flag and unflag records on a temporal basis.

Apple Mail, EagleFiler and other database oriented applications have such a field.

Quicken should also ... it is at heart a database program -- one specific to finance.

The "Reviewed" variable is to denote whether one has reviewed a record.  I may want to flag records that have already been reviewed, or those that have not, or combinations of the two.

The "Reviewed" variable is a flag with a specific purpose.

The "Flag" variable I refer to is a general purpose variable.
    edited November 12
    Okay, I understand why you may not want to use the Reviewed (Status) field if you are using that for a specific (different) purpose.

However, you ignored my other suggestion of using the Tag or Action fields. 

I don't think it's likely at all that Quicken is going to add a new field just for "flagged" when there are other fields that can be used for this purpose.

So I'd suggest you give the Tag or Action field a try. If you find a good reason why one of those won't work for what you're doing, let us know.
  • XCOXCO Member
    edited January 3
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please add a record (transaction) flag variable to Quicken - feature request..

Please add a record (transaction) flag variable to Quicken.

This would allow one to flag records on a temporary basis individually or in batch.

Currently there is no way to denote that a record my require later attention in some way.  I want to use the flag to denote records to be further evaluated or corrected as I audit a given set of transactions. It would then be nice to filter out either flagged or unflagged records as may be needed for a particular purpose.

There is the "reviewed" variable of course. But this has a specific purpose to denote whether or not a transaction has been reviewed.

The flag variable I refer to is a general purpose variable which may be applied on a temporal basis for some purpose.  For example, I may want to flag certain transactions which auditing my transaction history, report these in a list, and then do some further action, such as add an explanatory note to each record.  How one defines and uses the flag variable may change moment to moment according to the current need.

If I use the "review" variable for this purpose, then the review variable no longer indicates whether I have reviewed the record of not.  It's purpose has been redefined. Yet, I do want a specific variable to indicate whether or not a record has been reviewed. So, in my experience, one wants both the "reviewed" variable and the more general purpose "flag" variable.

It's akin to what other data management applications have such as Apple Mail, EagleFiler, et cetera.  After all, Quicken is a data management application with a very specific prupose.

Thank you.
    edited January 3
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to Merge.

This is not needed. Simply create a tag called "Flagged". Apply the tag to transactions. You can search, filter and report based on that tag. If you are flagging for a certain reason, you could use a more meaningful tag name. When you're all done, you can go to the Tags window and delete the tag entirely from the database in one action.

Alternatively, you could use the Action field the same way, albeit with a little less report filtering ability.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Please add a record (transaction) flag variable to Quicken - feature request..
  • pennywisepennywise Member ✭✭
    edited November 12
    merged from "QMAC: Add ability to yellow/red flag transactions."

Having moved from PC to MAC I miss the ability to flag transactions.