My Web Links Improvement Idea

ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

QW 2017 H&B here....

I have added 38 links to My Web Links portal.  I find this feature on my Quicken Home tab very useful as way to consolidate and quick-launch financial-related sites.   I use it a lot.  I also use it to link to some files on my hard drive such as budget analysis spreadsheet, retirement plans et al.  About half of these are related to accounts I have in Quicken but many are not.

But, to make it better, I would like to be able to better organize these 38 links, not unlike how a typical browser would organize "favorites", or a file system would work. 

In the portal that is My Web Links, I would like to create folders and move a portion of those links to a folder. The folder should be collapsible and the folders and links within the folder sortable.  I would like to be able to move links between folders - basically all the "move, create, modify, and delete" actions one use to manage folders and files in a folder.  Really just basic way of better organizing and finding my links.

For example, given the 38 links, I would like to create folders and like:  Banking, Investments, Retirement Planning, Utilities, Retail Accounts, Tax Authorities, and maybe a few other.

What do you think?  Like it or make comments to make the idea better!

Regards, Scott

4 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14
    I like it!

I have links in various places in Quicken:
    • In Account Details
    • In Reminders
    • In My Weblinks
    It would be nice to see these links all in one place but still have the convenience of having them at the point of use.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14

Agreed.  I do the same as you.  No concept of "master data" here as Quicken allows some of the same links to be manually added in up to 3 places.  As a former product mgr, that would make me go batty to see that!

For me, I would like to simply add and organize around My Weblinks, then to your point, if they need to be near point of use such as in Account Details and Reminders, allow a pull down and assignment from "master data".  And, if the link doesn't exist, add it....to where....master data.... ; ). 

Its not the sexiest feature and I don't know if this will get much traction but I wanted to add my .02.   For me it continues to help me consolidate/manage my financials even if they are weblinks to my FIs and other related sites.  Makes me even more sticky, Quicken product folks!
  • AFToothDocAFToothDoc Member ✭✭
    Good idea. Even just alphabetizing the web links list would be a improvement.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all my years of Quickening, I'd never noticed My Web Links until I saw this post.
    I've been using a folder in Firefox's bookmarks toolbar for all my financial links. That allows the kind of organization and hierarchy you desire.
    What is the advantage of having web links inside Quicken? Not disparaging your idea, just wondering what the intent of this feature is. I agree it is pretty cruddy as is.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all my years of Quickening, I'd never noticed My Web Links until I saw this post.
    I've been using a folder in Firefox's bookmarks toolbar for all my financial links. That allows the kind of organization and hierarchy you desire.
    What is the advantage of having web links inside Quicken? Not disparaging your idea, just wondering what the intent of this feature is. I agree it is pretty cruddy as is.
    Newly found feature for me too.  I, likewise, have a bookmark structure in my default browser for all of my financial stuff.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited March 18
    splasher said:
    Newly found feature for me too.  I, likewise, have a bookmark structure in my default browser for all of my financial stuff.
    I use FF in a similar way - to organize links.  One intention is to ensure that I leave to my wife a complete list of needed financial related links in Quicken, where our financial world resides.  Browsers come, go/change depending on device and decade - my experience.  I expect some form of Quicken to be there to the end...The other intention is to have links to FIs near "point of use".  I tend go to my FI websites much more often in Quicken than I do when I am not in Quicken.  Just a convenience factor.

So, just as I click on a browser icon, then click on bookmarks, then click on a bookmark, I can just as easily do that from a better organized Quicken My Web links portlet.

Perhaps as part of this improvement idea, for those who want bookmarks in the browser as well as Quicken....Quicken could introduce bookmark syncing with popular browsers - much the same way as browsers allow sync among devices that use their browser. :)  Assuming that Quicken allows the use of the default Windows browser rather than the native Quicken browser.

This might be one Quicken Cloud application I would actually turn on - intentionally :o

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scooterlam  (Scott) ,

While the My Web Links are useful for some, I don't use it. I like using Waterfox Browser, a Variant of Firefox. Waterfox allows more uses than Firefox, does and I particularly like it for allowing the Roboform Toolbar across the top of the Browser Window. I hate having to type in the Password, so Roboform does it for me.

Quicken does not allow Copy and Paste by Mouse, only via Keyboard. I have more important information to remember than passwords.

Users are complaining about the size of the Quicken Data File and improving Quicken to Double as a Browser would turn Users away from Quicken, in my opinion.
    Scooterlam  (Scott) ,

...Users are complaining about the size of the Quicken Data File and improving Quicken to Double as a Browser would turn Users away from Quicken, in my opinion.
    Im not so sure that URLs would appreciably increase the size of a QDATA file other than perhaps some adding folder structure definitions to already stored URLs (if you use this feature).   Also,  I'm not suggesting in the idea that Quicken develop a native browser but use the URLs already stored in My Web Links to call the Windows 10 default browser.  My reference to browsers "coming and going" was intended to reference the browser's bookmarks "coming and going"!

Thanks for the comment about Waterfox, will check it out.