Quicken Updates

Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
For the past several updates to Quicken 2017, I've experienced the following issues opening my existing data file after the update completes.

I click the I'm Upgrading button and select Open a data file located on this computer...
  1. Quicken positions me to the Recycle Bin by default to find my data file.
  2. When I navigate to the default Quicken folder in Documents, the file extension filter for *.QDF does not see my existing data file even though it is there, so I cannot open it at this point.
My workaround for this problem is to close Quicken and reopen it by double clicking my data file in that folder, after that everything is fine.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this recurring problem and if it is a known issue, why hasn't it been fixed yet.

This is still occurring with the latest update to version R14.

imageimageimageimage
Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Just for grins ... please include a picture of where your data file really is, using Windows File Explorer.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Well I have to tell you that I had already anticipated the doubting Thomas who would think that I was just looking in the wrong folder ... but just for grins ... here you go. 

There's clearly something wrong with the filter in the Open File dialog used within Quicken when you attempt to find your data file yourself.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Rich M said:

Well I have to tell you that I had already anticipated the doubting Thomas who would think that I was just looking in the wrong folder ... but just for grins ... here you go. 

There's clearly something wrong with the filter in the Open File dialog used within Quicken when you attempt to find your data file yourself.

Thanks Rich.
    I just tried File / Open Quicken File myself (Q 2017 R 14) and it works perfectly. Shows my UKR.QDF file among a whole bunch of other QDF files with names of varying lengths.

What list of recent file names is shown at the bottom of the File Menu?

Are you sure there's nothing wrong with your software installation?
    Is there perhaps a problem with saving updated configuration and INI files due to improper file access permissions?

Thanks again for sending the image.
    "doubting Thomas" UKR
    ;-)

edited September 2017
    Rich M said:

Dude ... please read my post carefully .... I thought it was well documented.  This only happens after a Quicken update ... not talking about selecting File / Open from the menu ... that is not the problem.

Only happens after the update.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Rich M said:

The very fact that you are getting the "new user" screen after an update suggests that there is already some problem with Quicken trying to read your configuration files or the path to your existing Quicken data file.

You should not get that screen during an update from say R10 to R14.

The "last opened" data file is stored in:
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config\QUSER.INI (#1)
    edited September 2017
    Rich M said:

That's interesting ... here's what I have in that file:

[Quicken]
    ExecNum=54
    NewCatPrompt=1
    [RecentFiles]
    1=C:\Users\rmesa\Documents\Quicken\QDATA
    2=
    3=
    4=
    [RecentBackupPaths]
    BackupPath5=
    BackupPath4=
    BackupPath3=
    BackupPath2=
    BackupPath1=C:\Users\rmesa\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\

Do you think I should use QcleanUI to fix this issue with my installation?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Rich M said:

Well your data file is certainly not at any strange place that might cause problems.  So about all I can think of if some kind of problem with the files/folders.  So QCleanUI might help.

But note that in doing that, your a doing a full reinstall and you will see the "New User" dialog in that case.
    edited September 2017
    Rich M said:

I decided to try the QCleanUI and start over with a clean installation.  After the install completed successfully I was back at version R14.

When Quicken opened it began with Select your existing data file to get started.

After I clicked Get Started it opened the Open Quicken File dialog box positioned to the default folder where my data file was.  This time I could see the contents of the folder and was able to select my data file without a problem.

I completed my registration successfully and was able to open my data file, so it seems I'm good to go again.

Won't know for sure if this completely resolved my issue until the next update comes through, but I think it probably has.

Since these updates are coming fast and furious, I expect to find out soon.

Thanks.

edited January 22
    I was hoping to be able to confirm that QCleanUI completely resolved my issue after installing R15, but it did not, same scenario.  Not sure why I have this unique problem.  Again, my workaround is to just close Quicken and open my data file by double clicking it from File Explorer, then everything is well again.