QWin 2016 (R14): Won't open after installing R14 patch

Comments

• Al SmithAl Smith Member
    edited October 2017

I have Quicken 2017 on a Windows 10 computer. Yesterday I downloaded
    and installed mondo patch R15 as requested. It told me it was
    successful. When I clicked on Run Quicken, it only goes to a partially
    opened Quicken screen that is light blue. I spent over 3 hours on the phone with Quicken yesterday, a tech support person  couldn't figure it
    out and decided I need to ask Microsoft to do something. Baloney!  I think I should uninstall Quicken entirely and re-install from my CD
    but shall I do any intermediate updates before the R15 patch? Is it ok
    to wait for a week or two to do this as I am busy until I leave town
    for a few days next week?  Is there something about the 9/30 date? Is it a deadline?

I've had similar results with more than 3 hours waiting for chat support and going thru the "Connection was lost" error multiple times.  Connected to agent once for about 1 minute before "lost connection" syndrome.  Tried again this morning when internet traffic is typically very low (great speeds everywhere else).  Nothing.  R14 will be the death of Quicken.
  • Paul NunnPaul Nunn Member
    edited January 2018

Hi JK,

I'm sorry for the trouble you're having getting Quicken to open. What version of Quicken are you using? Both Quicken 2015 and 2017 are up to the R15 release. If you are using one of these versions, please download and install the R15 mondo patch update for the appropriate product, from the links below:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

If this information doesn’t answer all of your questions, please comment below so we can help you get the answers you need, as quickly as possible.

To help other users who may be having a similar problem, please select the blue LIKE button at the top of this post, if this information was helpful and resolved the issue.

I hope this helps,
    Dave

I find it interesting JK that you offer direct links to the Mondo Patches for the 2015 and 2017 versions, but completely skip 2016, even though the author of this thread clearly said he is using version 2016. Is that because the 2016 version is a total lost cause? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that, for after I installed the QW2016R14M Patch, the only way I can now open Quicken each day is by reinstalling the patch. What a piece of garbage Intuit left everyone.
  • Paul NunnPaul Nunn Member
    edited October 2017

Using Quicken 2016, Tried the mandatory process to change over to the new Quicken. Finally got an email confirming my change of my user ID to an email address. Tried multiple times to set up the new system using my new confirmed User ID and changing passwords,  Each time I tried to submit an old or new password, the same blank sign-in screen appears, but, another try to sign-in only produces another blank sign-in screen.  Not ready for prime time.  Very disappointing.  I wish I could bill you for my time wasted.

Just to be clear Kathy, what's the logic behind installing Mondo 8 patch first and then installing Mondo 14 after that?
  • Helena WaldHelena Wald Member
    edited October 2017

Hi JK,

I'm sorry for the trouble you're having getting Quicken to open. What version of Quicken are you using? Both Quicken 2015 and 2017 are up to the R15 release. If you are using one of these versions, please download and install the R15 mondo patch update for the appropriate product, from the links below:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

If this information doesn’t answer all of your questions, please comment below so we can help you get the answers you need, as quickly as possible.

To help other users who may be having a similar problem, please select the blue LIKE button at the top of this post, if this information was helpful and resolved the issue.

I hope this helps,
    Dave

I am trying to help a friend with Quicken 17 on Windows 10.  We each spent numerous hours on the phone with support this month but still can't get the mondo patch R15 to begin the login process.  We have 2 different case numbers but neither one has brought a solution.  And then it takes hours to even get to support.  Is Quicken addressing this issue? It doesn't seem like it from our end. And neither of us have that kind of time in our schedules to continue! 
  • Nancy GilbertNancy Gilbert Member
    edited October 2017

opened Quicken screen that is light blue. I spent over 3 hours on the phone with Quicken yesterday, a tech support person  couldn't figure it
    out and decided I need to ask Microsoft to do something. Baloney!  I think I should uninstall Quicken entirely and re-install from my CD
    for a few days next week?  Is there something about the 9/30 date? Is it a deadline?

I just reinstalled Quicken 2016 Deluxe, installed Mono Patch 8, with success, then  Mono Patch 14, got an error,, and it wouldn't install.  Just like it did a week ago.  Evidently, Quicken has not made any corrections to it's patches.  I still cannot open Quicken.
    edited October 2017

Last night I upgraded to R14 (Quicken 2016). Everything finally started working except the One Step Update for Quicken Bill Pay. Kept getting a login error according to Quicken Support (on a chat line with them all morning). Then on a call to Quicken Bill Pay this afternoon. The only solution they could come up with that works is to start over with a new Quicken file. Which worked with the same credentials I use with my old data file. Very disappointing.

I’ve been thru the same process. My guess is that the data file conversion process somehow corrupts our pre-conversion data.
  • Doug GordonDoug Gordon Member
    edited October 2017

I'm in the same boat as you Nancy.  But I'm still waiting on Tech Support to respond.  

I keep thinking of upgrading to Quicken 18 but not a peep about it, anyone heard anything there or will it be more of the same.  I guess the safest security is to lock everyone out including the user.
  • GlennGlenn Member
    edited October 2017

My issue is on a different string but relates to Q2017 and basically won't open after all the suggestions by Q help desk. I had t buy the premium support just to get through to them. That worked last Tuesday (getting through to them). After a few hours they gave up and said level III support would be calling me. That was 8 days ago. Never a peep out of them. I have tried calling back and even with the $50/year premium support they won't answer the phone. What a shame. Q was a great program and I will miss it. I would be happy to be back on the earliest of quicken solutions I used. But I can not be held hostage by them, and losing visibility into my myriad accounts in one place is exactly how I feel. . In today's day and age there will be a digital solution for simple, personal finance and the associated dashboards I've become accustomed to. Goodbye Q.

Anybody know the name of the PE Firm that bought them? That's where the complaints need to go now.
    edited October 2017
    For all the Quicken 2016 Deluxe users I stumbled upon the following to get it working.  Again this was a stumble so some steps might not fit or be needed.

1  Starting version  R 1 from the CD i bought in 2015 I installed this.

Note**** you must have your phone handy for all the TEXT Codes that keep popping up during the various validations. 

2 First step was to follow the process outlined to download version 8.  
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/resolution-quicken-for-windows-2016-wont-open-af...

This basically got the software to the point where Intuit split with Quicken.

3 Then I downloaded the latest version 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Note to put the patch somewhere you know exactly how to get to it.  I put it in Public downloads under my user name which was logged in as an administrator. This is important soon.

4 I kept getting a box that popped up and said an error occurred "unable to check for updates.

Then I had to follow these steps: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

I created a new Windows log on and set this person as administrator then logged on to this new person.

C:\Users\Public\Downloads
    which is where I put the downloaded file from Step 3 

I ran this file and it worked. 

Then I had to create/ verify the Quicken ID and needed the phone to enter in all the code verification's.

You can easily fall into a loop here as it isn't really clear that once you create or have an ID you need to click the button that states this. 

Once I got my file to open in Quicken 2016 version R14 then I had to log off of the fictitious Administrator that I had to create and logged back on as myself. 

Then I had to go through the Quicken ID and code verification yet again. Remember here you already have an ID so select that option.

Hope all this helps-- Again this was what I stumbled on while upgrading from the 2015 purchased CD to level R14.  

• edited October 2017

Hi JK,

I hope this helps,
    Dave

Yes. I have 2016, on Windows 10. I am enjoying the same new issues! Software companies should and do go out of business over this lack of quality assurance. F the customer? F U. 
    edited October 2017
    It sounds pretty complicated and I wonder. after you were able to open Quicken and used it, then shut it down.  Could you still open Quicken again, so it worked like it should?
    edited October 2017
    I am starting to consider buying another program, instead of Quicken.  Does anyone know of a good one to consider?
  • ron3nanron3nan Member
    edited October 2017
    Doug..that sounds like what I went through with the rep. on the phone..all that about temp file & user id sounds familiar.
  • GlennGlenn Member
    edited October 2017
    Not sure who Quicken Kathryn is but she, as a moderator, deleted my post calling it a rant. I merely said I paid $50 for premium support and received none. My suggestion - flood new owners H.I.G. Capital with complaints. They need to change leadership at Quicken.
  • ron3nanron3nan Member
    edited October 2017

The rep that helped me, said they do not want to release it yet, until they get this mess straightened out.
    edited October 2017

It sounds pretty complicated and I wonder. after you were able to open Quicken and used it, then shut it down.  Could you still open Quicken again, so it worked like it should?

well almost like it should have I was able to shut down the computer and re boot and the file came up.  I just forgot my vault password so I'm re building the whole file now.  
  • Robert MarvinRobert Marvin Member
    edited January 2018

Hi JK,

I hope this helps,
    Dave

Well, at least I now know that I am not alone in this MESS!! Although I have used Intuit or Quicken products since 2010 (probably before actually but I know for sure that far back), I am now very seriously considering some other product. This Quality Assurance issue is a serious blunder and it appears that little is being done to FIX it. 
    edited October 2017
    Maybe we should consider going back to the old fashioned way of keeping track of our book work, paper & pencil.
    edited October 2017

Using Quicken 2016, Tried the mandatory process to change over to the new Quicken. Finally got an email confirming my change of my user ID to an email address. Tried multiple times to set up the new system using my new confirmed User ID and changing passwords,  Each time I tried to submit an old or new password, the same blank sign-in screen appears, but, another try to sign-in only produces another blank sign-in screen.  Not ready for prime time.  Very disappointing.  I wish I could bill you for my time wasted.

Kathy, I am having the exact same situation (as it appears many are). Thank you for your detailed process to find a way to a solution. I have the same question as Paul, as I understood from the notes on the patch that it was not necessary to do any but the last patch as all other changes were incorporated in it. I guess it would not do harm to reapply a fix, however, so I am game to try your process. Nothing to lose but the time I guess, as essentially I have already lost all my data since I cannot access it. 
    edited October 2017
    ron3nan said:

New Quicken sucks.. Every time you need to download an update, it locks up and all you get is blank screen..  I was forced to  migrate yesterday when I was uploading bills..now I am locked out and the payments did not got.  No one answers the phone.. None of their online support solutions work..How many late payments are being created??

ron3nan - I have that version showing (25.1.14.5). So it sounds like all I need to do is create a new user id and password? I have had to update my user id password, but I did not create a new user id. Not to put on the spot, but do you think creating a new id might get me moving forward again? Thanks for your help and opinion.
    edited October 2017

I am starting to consider buying another program, instead of Quicken.  Does anyone know of a good one to consider?

Me too, and I would consider running it on my Mac instead - welcoming suggestions also. TIA
    edited October 2017

Maybe we should consider going back to the old fashioned way of keeping track of our book work, paper & pencil.

Can we still buy column tablets? I guess I could always go back to a spreadsheet. LOL.
  • maude millermaude miller Member
    edited October 2017
    Just for grins I downloaded the latest patch again........it installed like a charm and I am up and running.    They must have fixed the patch.   Hope that works for others.
    edited October 2017
    I just downloaded the R14 patch and it still gave me the same error message and would not load.
    edited October 2017

Just for grins I downloaded the latest patch again........it installed like a charm and I am up and running.    They must have fixed the patch.   Hope that works for others.

I am wondering where you downloaded the patch from.  Evidently the one I just downloaded if from 10-7-17 and I wondered if the one you downloaded shows a more current date.
    edited October 2017
    Nancy. I suggest following my procedures from above. Guessing you need to create a fictional administrator step to get it to install. My procedures are listed above.

Best of luck
    edited October 2017

Nancy. I suggest following my procedures from above. Guessing you need to create a fictional administrator step to get it to install. My procedures are listed above.

Best of luck

I tried your procedures, created a new administrator account and now cannot figure out how to start in at account.  I am using Windows 10
    edited October 2017

Best of luck

I did try installing after the above and still got an error message and the patch would not load.
    edited October 2017

For all the Quicken 2016 Deluxe users I stumbled upon the following to get it working.  Again this was a stumble so some steps might not fit or be needed.

1  Starting version  R 1 from the CD i bought in 2015 I installed this.

Note**** you must have your phone handy for all the TEXT Codes that keep popping up during the various validations. 

2 First step was to follow the process outlined to download version 8.  
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/resolution-quicken-for-windows-2016-wont-open-af...

This basically got the software to the point where Intuit split with Quicken.

3 Then I downloaded the latest version 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Note to put the patch somewhere you know exactly how to get to it.  I put it in Public downloads under my user name which was logged in as an administrator. This is important soon.

4 I kept getting a box that popped up and said an error occurred "unable to check for updates.

Then I had to follow these steps: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

I created a new Windows log on and set this person as administrator then logged on to this new person.

C:\Users\Public\Downloads
    which is where I put the downloaded file from Step 3 

I ran this file and it worked. 

Then I had to create/ verify the Quicken ID and needed the phone to enter in all the code verification's.

You can easily fall into a loop here as it isn't really clear that once you create or have an ID you need to click the button that states this. 

Once I got my file to open in Quicken 2016 version R14 then I had to log off of the fictitious Administrator that I had to create and logged back on as myself. 

Then I had to go through the Quicken ID and code verification yet again. Remember here you already have an ID so select that option.

Hope all this helps-- Again this was what I stumbled on while upgrading from the 2015 purchased CD to level R14.  

Your step #5 relating to creating a new user account has been discredited by most who have tried it. Simply, it doesn’t get rid of the failed execution of Quicken’s Mondo updates beyond R8.
    edited October 2017

Best of luck

I am an 80 yr. old self taught computer user and some of these suggestions are beyond my knowledge.  I think I will just wait awhile and see if Quicken comes up with a solution.