QWin 2016 (R14): Won't open after installing R14 patch

Comments

• Doug GordonDoug Gordon Member
    edited October 2017

For all the Quicken 2016 Deluxe users I stumbled upon the following to get it working.  Again this was a stumble so some steps might not fit or be needed.

1  Starting version  R 1 from the CD i bought in 2015 I installed this.

Note**** you must have your phone handy for all the TEXT Codes that keep popping up during the various validations. 

2 First step was to follow the process outlined to download version 8.  
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/resolution-quicken-for-windows-2016-wont-open-af...

This basically got the software to the point where Intuit split with Quicken.

3 Then I downloaded the latest version 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Note to put the patch somewhere you know exactly how to get to it.  I put it in Public downloads under my user name which was logged in as an administrator. This is important soon.

4 I kept getting a box that popped up and said an error occurred "unable to check for updates.

Then I had to follow these steps: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

I created a new Windows log on and set this person as administrator then logged on to this new person.

C:\Users\Public\Downloads
    which is where I put the downloaded file from Step 3 

I ran this file and it worked. 

Then I had to create/ verify the Quicken ID and needed the phone to enter in all the code verification's.

You can easily fall into a loop here as it isn't really clear that once you create or have an ID you need to click the button that states this. 

Once I got my file to open in Quicken 2016 version R14 then I had to log off of the fictitious Administrator that I had to create and logged back on as myself. 

Then I had to go through the Quicken ID and code verification yet again. Remember here you already have an ID so select that option.

Hope all this helps-- Again this was what I stumbled on while upgrading from the 2015 purchased CD to level R14.  

Al Please note that This isn't my steps but what Quicken came up.  All I can say is that it did work for me yesterday 10-11-17 following these steps.  Maybe I got lucky here but following these steps from Quicken is how I got it to work.  Without the Administrator that I created I got the same error.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-accoun...

Good Luck
  • edited October 2017
    Glenn said:

Not sure who Quicken Kathryn is but she, as a moderator, deleted my post calling it a rant. I merely said I paid $50 for premium support and received none. My suggestion - flood new owners H.I.G. Capital with complaints. They need to change leadership at Quicken.

I recall her as a long time employee of the original Intuit Quicken.  She has her hands full.
  • edited October 2017
    OK. Here is what I tried, which is working, so far.

I am on Windows 10. My user login is an administrator. It's an old custom desktop.

Uninstall the no longer working Quicken. Reboot.

Install the original Quicken you have. I have 2016 Deluxe. Reboot.

Download and install Mondo8 patch. Rebook.

Download and install Mondo12 patch. Reboot.

Download and install Mondo14 Manual patch. (I gave up on auto downloads which never worked well for me wi th MLPF&S anyway.). Reboot.

Tedious? Yes. But my Quicken2016 Deluxe is up and running. Uh, I am nervous about closing it, though. I hope it will get me through year end when I can run my tax related reports and then migrate to an Excel spreadsheet!
  • edited October 2017
    Doug,
    Thank you for the detailed success story.  Will be very helpful I am sure.  If anything changes after closing, come back with the original above and the changes.  Thanks again for your time and consideration.
    [email protected]
  • Nancy GilbertNancy Gilbert Member
    edited October 2017

OK. Here is what I tried, which is working, so far.

I am on Windows 10. My user login is an administrator. It's an old custom desktop.

Uninstall the no longer working Quicken. Reboot.

Install the original Quicken you have. I have 2016 Deluxe. Reboot.

Download and install Mondo8 patch. Rebook.

Download and install Mondo12 patch. Reboot.

Download and install Mondo14 Manual patch. (I gave up on auto downloads which never worked well for me wi th MLPF&S anyway.). Reboot.

Tedious? Yes. But my Quicken2016 Deluxe is up and running. Uh, I am nervous about closing it, though. I hope it will get me through year end when I can run my tax related reports and then migrate to an Excel spreadsheet!

I would like to follow your above instructions to get 2016 installed and working, but cannot find a site where I can download Mono 12  patch.  Please advise where I could find it, or has it been deleted from the Quicken site?
  • Joel KanovskyJoel Kanovsky Member
    edited October 2017

Hi JK,

I'm sorry for the trouble you're having getting Quicken to open. What version of Quicken are you using? Both Quicken 2015 and 2017 are up to the R15 release. If you are using one of these versions, please download and install the R15 mondo patch update for the appropriate product, from the links below:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

If this information doesn’t answer all of your questions, please comment below so we can help you get the answers you need, as quickly as possible.

To help other users who may be having a similar problem, please select the blue LIKE button at the top of this post, if this information was helpful and resolved the issue.

I hope this helps,
    Dave

at a loss.  Installed latest update as recommended.  Now my quicken is not working at all.  All information gone.  Seems like scam from quicken to force customers to buy new software.  Can't get through to anyone. Anyone recommend other accounting software
    edited October 2017
    I am still wondering where I can download Mono 12 Patch.  I received an email from Quicken today telling me how to correct all this and I followed their directions and just got error messages.  Nothing is working yet.

I am starting to wonder if we have been hacked.  Sure is one big mess and so much time wasted.
  • DougDoug Member
    edited October 2017
    Mondo 8 and Mondo 12 patches can be obtained here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/resolution-quicken-for-windows-2016-wont-open-af...

And, my Windows 10 crashed for the umpteenth time with the infamous dpc_watchdog_violation error. And, of course quicken treated me with the "Sorry. unexpected error" window after I tried to open it after windows 10 rebooted. I bleeping hate windows 10. I miss XP, even 7. And quicken should be renamed quicksand. I wish Linux was more mainstream. 
    edited October 2017
    Doug said:

And, my Windows 10 crashed for the umpteenth time with the infamous dpc_watchdog_violation error. And, of course quicken treated me with the "Sorry. unexpected error" window after I tried to open it after windows 10 rebooted. I bleeping hate windows 10. I miss XP, even 7. And quicken should be renamed quicksand. I wish Linux was more mainstream. 

Thank you for the info, but when I click on the site to get the Mono 12 Patch, I get the message "File not found"   So they must have deleted it.    This all sure is frustrating, isn't it.
  • Al SmithAl Smith Member
    edited October 2017
    Doug said:

Sorry to bring more bad news but I did find a source for all of the patches only to discover that all after Mondo R8 for QWin 2016 generate the same error when attempting to run them. I’m using Windows 7. By the way, after Mondo R8, the file format for the patches changed!
  • ron3nanron3nan Member
    edited October 2017
    I went to file a complaint with BBB (anyone surprised Quicken is not a member),,but there are many complaints filed and it looks like the responses Quicken give are being rejected as useless by the complainants...
    edited October 2017
    ron3nan said:

I went to file a complaint with BBB (anyone surprised Quicken is not a member),,but there are many complaints filed and it looks like the responses Quicken give are being rejected as useless by the complainants...

That is very interesting.  I guess we will just have to wait and see what develops.  I know a lot of people are a lot worse off than I am.  At least I don't do on line banking.  
    I am wondering if Quicken is working for anyone right now and also wondered if they had been hacked.
  • Doug DuncanDoug Duncan Member
    edited October 2017
    ron3nan said:

I updated two weeks ago. I had some initial problems caused by online bill pay in the queue, waiting to be sent. Quicken and Bill Pay were no help, I spent the good part of two days on the phone with them. Their solution was to start a new database. I finally figured out the problem on my own. Trial and error. But its been running fine since then.
    I have no idea why I never ran into the sign on problems and others being reported.
  • DougDoug Member
    edited October 2017
    Confusion: Doug and Douglas R Novak are the same person.
    Well, I ran the same script of events as I wrote above under Douglas R Novak, again, after my crash as I wrote about under Doug. Now, this time, I added something new. People have been talking about installing or running as an Administrator user. Well, I right-clicked on the Quicken Deluxe 2016 icon and clicked on Run as Administrator. My Q2016Deluxe is up and running. While I'm still not planning on closing quicken, when my windows10 crashes again we'll see if quicken starts normally after I reboot. The saga continues...Btw, I'm giving the Mint app a tryout, on my desktop. And I'm moving my tax related transactions to Excel.
    edited October 2017
    Doug said:

Confusion: Doug and Douglas R Novak are the same person.
    Well, I ran the same script of events as I wrote above under Douglas R Novak, again, after my crash as I wrote about under Doug. Now, this time, I added something new. People have been talking about installing or running as an Administrator user. Well, I right-clicked on the Quicken Deluxe 2016 icon and clicked on Run as Administrator. My Q2016Deluxe is up and running. While I'm still not planning on closing quicken, when my windows10 crashes again we'll see if quicken starts normally after I reboot. The saga continues...Btw, I'm giving the Mint app a tryout, on my desktop. And I'm moving my tax related transactions to Excel.

I just clicked on Run as Administrator on the Quicken Icon and got a message saying Quicken did not recognize Run as Administrator, then tried to open and got the same error messages as before and could not open it.  Frustrating.
  • ron3nanron3nan Member
    edited October 2017
    If there are any lawyers out there that think maybe there should be a "Class action" brought against Quicken for all the long toll calls and inability to use  a product we all paid for and expected to keep our data safe.  We are certainly not getting anyn use of it right now.
    edited October 2017
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see what develops but we sure aren't getting any response from Quicken.  If they intended to come up with a fix for this you would think we would get an email to that effect or something and since we haven't I have about given up hope.  It is too bad too, as up until now it has been a very good program.

I did look at the BBB site but couldn't come up with anything on Quicken, guess I just didn't know how.  I couldn't find a search spot.  
    edited October 2017
    Glenn said:

Not sure who Quicken Kathryn is but she, as a moderator, deleted my post calling it a rant. I merely said I paid $50 for premium support and received none. My suggestion - flood new owners H.I.G. Capital with complaints. They need to change leadership at Quicken.

She posts “solutions” and simultaneously closes her post to comments. That would be OK if her solutions worked—they don’t. This effectively marks the problem post as “solved”. Bad kitty!
  • ron3nanron3nan Member
    edited October 2017
    It is a shame that Quicken can monitor these threads and remove posts they feel are offensive, or off topic, but they can't find a solution.. I just had 5 posts removed..   Quicken, you do need to find a quick and sure fix.  "no offense intended"..  Thank you. 
    edited October 2017
    I had about given up on Quicken, but today I checked their support web site and noticed it said only a 10 minute wait on the chat line, so I opened it and waited for an agent, probably about 30 minutes, but did get connected with an agent and was on line with him a couple of hours but he was very helpful.  He ended up setting up a new Quicken program for me to download and helped me get a Quicken ID and now I am able to open my Quicken and it works and everything looks correct.  I was still connected with the agent who was helping me and right after I downloaded the program and while he was helping me get it set up we got disconnected and I though Oh Darn!!, but when I did open Quicken it was working.  I have opened and closed it 3 times now and it is still working.  Hopefully it will continue to work.  There is hope for the rest of you.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited October 2017
    It didn't work for me, but I was on the Chat line today and as I said in the comment above, I was able to get Quicken to work again, with the agents help.
  • edited October 2017
    splasher said:
    Thank you for taking time to post this info.
    edited October 2017
    splasher said:
    It didn’t work for me either and the poster inmediately closed her post to comments.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    splasher said:
    @Al Smith  It was closed because it was an ANNOUNCEMENT, not something up for discussion.

I posted it here as a POSSIBLE solution, not a guaranteed solution.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Raj U U MehtaRaj U U Mehta Member
    edited October 2017

Last night I upgraded to R14 (Quicken 2016). Everything finally started working except the One Step Update for Quicken Bill Pay. Kept getting a login error according to Quicken Support (on a chat line with them all morning). Then on a call to Quicken Bill Pay this afternoon. The only solution they could come up with that works is to start over with a new Quicken file. Which worked with the same credentials I use with my old data file. Very disappointing.

I am trying to move my Quicken 2016  from an older PC to a newer one with Windows 10.  I and on Release 8.  How do I get to Release 14?  I got patch error.  Suggestion was I should do it from Admin account.  I was already on my Admin account.
  • bruce3404bruce3404 Member
    edited October 2017
    I spent two hours on the chat line today with no help.  Thankfully, I have a proper running version on my laptop.  All I did here was to upgrade my old SSD and re-install on my PC and now I'm stuck until they settle this mess.   I've been a loyal Quicken customer since my first entry on 4/29/91.  This is ridiculous!
    edited October 2017
    I guess I was lucky.  About 2 weeks ago I was on a chat line, for about 1 1/2 hours, but was able to get a new Quicken ID and they helped me download a new  Quicken 2016.  So far it is up and 
    running and I am able to use it, this is after fighting with it for over 3 weeks.  I do hold my breath each time I want to use it though, but so far all is good.
  • bruce3404bruce3404 Member
    edited October 2017
    Congrats!  What's particularly odious here is that Quicken is now marketing their new versions with an annual fee.  I wonder what, if any, incentives they have to fix these problems.  A guess the word to the wise is to not get a new computer or upgrade a drive.  I even tried to install an old version of Q2010, but since my backup had a different QDF file (from 2016 version), I couldn't transfer my old files, so I guess I stay with the laptop next to the PC and hope for the best.  I did try the new ID route, but kept getting the OOPS message.
  • Renee NaegerRenee Naeger Member
    edited November 2017

Hi JK,

I'm sorry for the trouble you're having getting Quicken to open. What version of Quicken are you using? Both Quicken 2015 and 2017 are up to the R15 release. If you are using one of these versions, please download and install the R15 mondo patch update for the appropriate product, from the links below:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

If this information doesn’t answer all of your questions, please comment below so we can help you get the answers you need, as quickly as possible.

To help other users who may be having a similar problem, please select the blue LIKE button at the top of this post, if this information was helpful and resolved the issue.

I hope this helps,
    Dave

Crazy Quicken Crashed after telling me it needed to update.  Quicken 2016 updated then even said it "successfully updated".  Then........................nothing.  Can't get anything.  Seeing the previous comments does not inspire confidence in this product!!!!  Need clear answers.  Not for 2015.  Not for 2017.  NEED IT FOR 2016!  PLEASE!