Enhancement request: Multiple Q files open at once (7 Merged Votes)

Donna5020Donna5020 Member ✭✭
I would like to be able to have multiple Quicken data files open at once. Like the way I have multiple websites open in my browser, with tabs to switch back and forth. For me, this is because I use Q for our personal accounts, as well as for the small non-profit that I'm the treasurer of. Seems like a simple concept. Is there some kind of limitation in the Q architecture to make this difficult?
Tagged:
2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• Dan MDan M Member
    edited October 2018
    Being able to run multiple instances of Quicken at the same time would be a great help.  For example, having a data file open for the kids as well as having our (parents) data file open at the same time. 
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I know you entered this as an idea, but if you setup a virtual machine, you can do just what you are asking by running one instance of Quicken in the host OS and a second in the VM and you can have them side-by-side right now without waiting for Quicken to do anything. 

I do it in testing all the time to see if the numbers are the same after a download.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dan MDan M Member
    edited November 2019

Yeah, I know, but it should be easier.  Think of how much a pain it would be if you could only open 1 excel file at a time without spinning up a vm.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Not to mention the fact that you have to pay for a license for each of those VMs. :-(
    edited November 2019

I was not saying it was a bad idea, I was just suggesting an alternative that can happen now without waiting for Quicken to make the change which is not, IMO, going to be easy or done quickly.

edited October 2018
    I can see a lot of down sides to this idea.  Being in the wrong tab when you make a change means that the wrong records are changed/corrupted.  Remember, Quicken has NO change log to chase down problems caused by such an instance.

While you might think that your example is a good one, I can't imagine why you would want to be looking at both your personal records and the non-profit's records at the same time.  I can't imagine anything that you would cut/paste between the two sets of records.  I wouldn't think that there would be any common data between them.
    Seems like a simple concept.
    Everybody always thinks that, but without knowing the structure of the program.

But if Quicken wants to implement this, have at it.

• Donna5020Donna5020 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I want it so that I don't have to enter passwords to go back and forth between files. So that I don't have to lose open reports when I switch files. Personally, I like to multitask. I may work on the non-profit for an hour then be waiting on info from someone. So I'll switch to my own file to get something done. Other examples of multiple files open at the same time: Word, Excel,... Perhaps Q is restricted by its legacy architecture, but there always comes a time when a product needs a restructuring in order to make substantive enhancements, instead of nits and lice that no one cares about. The old 80/20 rule.  
    edited November 2019

One alternative is to run Virtual Machine software and run Quicken in a Windows OS VM window.  Doing so, would actually allow you to have two separate instances of Quicken running independent of each other.

• Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team
    -Quicken Natalie 

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see where sometimes it would be nice to be able to have two or more QDF files open within the same session, for example, to look up some historic transaction from an archive file from several years ago and then switch back to the current file and input a new transaction just like the old one.
    But I can also see where there would be the devil in the detail. How does one, under Windows or Mac, rewrite Quicken to be able to run two or more completely isolated from each other program and file environments so that work in File A cannot ever leak into File B?
    Have the programmers ever discussed the feasibility of such an undertaking?

OK, so it's more like a cherry on top, but I would sure like to hear and see if it were possible to run Quicken with 2 or more open files.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since UKR brought it up, even though this is a QWin thread, on Mac it once was possible to run 2 instances of Quicken at the same time, up until the subscription versions. And the only reason it is no longer possible is simply because the preference and settings files are no longer differentiated by year in the name...BUT technically, it would not be difficult to re-implement.

I say this because, I do not think that it would be easy for ANY version of Quicken run 2 or more files at the same time simply because of the nature of the number of possible windows that can be opened just for one file...the better and simplest solution is the ability to run 2 or more instances of QWin...but I am not sure how dependent on Windows resources Quicken is at this point to make that possible.

Bottom line is, there are situations where being able to open up 2 or more files is needed and currently, there is no easy way. So some solution is still needed.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the matter.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)