ALT+TAB focus

Hi Team Quicken.  Now that the program is firmly in your hands and not Intuit's, is it possible your engineers can finally address the long-standing problem with ALT+TAB loss of focus?  It began sometime around 2012 and has NEVER been fixed despite countless requests and complaints from legacy Quicken users. 

If you are unfamiliar with this app problem, let me know and I'll gladly demonstrate.  Thanks very much!

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    You are referring to Quicken Windows, yes?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • WandaWanda Member
    edited December 2018
    I have been a user for awhile.  Not sure of what this is or the benefit.  Since there are so many issues, maybe it is something I should know about and could look for if I decide to migrate if they can not resolve some of the issues.
  • RDRD Member
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

You are referring to Quicken Windows, yes?

Yes, Quicken for Windows.  Specifically, Quicken Home & Business.
  • RDRD Member
    edited October 2017
    Wanda said:

I have been a user for awhile.  Not sure of what this is or the benefit.  Since there are so many issues, maybe it is something I should know about and could look for if I decide to migrate if they can not resolve some of the issues.

Quicken loses focus when repeatedly using ALT+TAB to jump between it and
    another open program (i.e. Excel, email client, web browser).  When
    this occurs, it also results in a loss of function of keyboard shortcuts
    within Quicken. 

A search for posts on GetSatisfaction will produce a number of other users discussing this issue and a desire to see it corrected in future versions:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/search/show
  • jod-zjod-z Member
    edited October 2017
    I don't remember noticing this before the last update and I've been using Quicken H&B for many years. Hopefully, they fix it soon!
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Wanda said:

At one point it was corrected.  Then this year in one of the maintenance releases it was broken again.  It just goes to show the issues with the program that whenever they "fix" something they run the chance of breaking several other things.  One can only hope that this is fixed in Quicken 2018, if not I will not be buying....

• Ron .ThompsonRon .Thompson Member
    edited October 2017
    I turned on QW H&B 2017 just now and it did an automatic update, and it did NOT fix this problem! New build is 26.1.15.5.
  • DericRockDericRock Member
    edited February 2018
    I will not be buying 2018 unless this problem is fixed. I also did not buy Quicken 2015 purely because of this issue. I have been buying yearly updates since 1995.
    Quicken, do you use Scrum? If so, get this message to the product owner. He will want to know what adds value to the product. Fixing this bug will directly affect purchases of the product.
    Contact me if you need any more information.
    Signed, a certified Scrum product owner.
  • Roy LevinRoy Levin Member
    edited February 2018

I can attest that this problem is not fixed in Quicken 2018.  However, Quicken doesn't lose focus in all inter-app switching; rather, it depends what sort of window the focus is in.  In my experience, if I'm entering a transaction in a checking account register and I switch to another app (ALT-TAB) and back, the focus will be lost.  But if I'm entering an investment transaction, which pops up a separate window from the register, the focus is correctly retained/restored after switching to another app and coming back.

I believe this worked correctly in Quicken 2017 (I use Premier, but I doubt that it matters).  I recently "upgraded" to 2018 and began to notice the issue.  I'm running the latest update (R2.3, as of this writing).

It's certainly an annoying behavior, and I hope it can be fixed.

• John laPlanteJohn laPlante Member
    edited December 2018
    Is there a way to vote on backlog items? Kudos to the Quicken team who clearly has some renewed energy with the 2018 release but they aren't fixing the things I want them to fix. What is the process for prioritizing work?
  • Tom KlostermanTom Klosterman Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Waiting patiently just worry this one isn't on anyone's radar.  In the meantime I'll continue Alt-Tab Alt-A then up arrow then right left. phew!  just to get back to registry entry field where I left off to quickly look at another window, like uh, my online banking transactions.  geez. :(
  • DericRockDericRock Member
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Losing focus.

When focus is in a field of the register, and then I change focus in Windows 10 to view my statement, then return to Quicken, the focus is no longer in the field in the register. I then need to grab my mouse and click on the field again to enter the information I just read from the statement. This has annoyed many, many users for months if not years. The focus should return to the field where I left it. Please fix it! (Version 2018 R3.4 build 27.1.3.4)
  • AlexAlex Member
    edited February 2018
    Same problem - version 2018 R4.10 build 27.1.4.10.

Is there an ETA to get this resolved ?

Thank you. 
  • Roy LevinRoy Levin Member
    edited January 2018

@Alex and others:  so far, all we've heard from Quicken is crickets.

Their CEO sent a "Happy New Year" email that said, in part, "For those of you who are now Quicken Members (2018), I am happy to report that, with Quicken ID behind us, our teams are now able to focus on delivering what you’ve asked for in Quicken – robustness, performance, and usability improvements across the board." We can fervently hope that one of the "usability improvements" is a bug fix for this problem.

• edited January 2018
    Wanda said:

I just installed Quicken 2018 and the problem still exists...
  • edited January 2018
    Not fixed in the spanky new 2018 version I just installed.....
  • edited May 2018
    This was fixed recently, but now is back... please there is still people that use more than the mouse. Thanks.
  • jasonfreitasjasonfreitas Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled windows alt codes & field focus.

There were two usability improvements I recall being introduced in a prior version (2016, I think) that were great while they lasted, but now seem to have vanished:
    1. Using Windows alt codes to enter characters. For example, when I type alt-0233 to get the é in Café, it doesn't work.
    2. If I'm in the middle of entering a transaction with the focus on a field I'm editing, and then I alt-tab to another window, the focus is gone when I alt-tab back, forcing me to use the mouse to click back into the transaction.
    These are minor complaints with easy workarounds, but they're the kind of simple usability features that I was happy to see introduced at one time as a recognition of how little things add up to a big difference. Would be nice to see them back again.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Waiting patiently just worry this one isn't on anyone's radar.  In the meantime I'll continue Alt-Tab Alt-A then up arrow then right left. phew!  just to get back to registry entry field where I left off to quickly look at another window, like uh, my online banking transactions.  geez. :(

Elsewhere on this forum, a user discovered a method that uses fewer keystrokes. Invoking and immediately dismissing a main menu via the keyboard somehow reminds Quicken where its focus was. E.g., doing Alt-F, Esc restores the focus.

This is interesting because it seems Q does remember where the focus was, it just fails to restore it when the main window gets focus.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
    edited May 2018

I just tried that and it does seem to work.  I have Q2018 R8.8.  They have fixed this issue for when you are reconciling an account.  If you have the statement in one window and the reconciliation form from Q in another window and Alt-Tab between the two it works BUT only with that window is seems.  Otherwise you are left with the Alt-F, Esc to restore the focus and when you are going back and forth entering over 50 transactions that gets very tedious.
  • edited May 2018

Nope, I have same version and is not working. Try this, focus on any field on the register, do ALT+TAB and come back with another ALT+TAB and cursor (focus) will not be where it was anymore.
    edited January 9
    I don't particularly like using the pop-up registers in Quicken, but doing so does seem to provide the best work-around for this irritating issue.

Today I tried to communicate with the Quicken CEO, Eric Dunn. Of course I didn't get to HIM, but I did perhaps shake something loose. I got a long and polite response from one of his people, a new support ticket, and a promise to elevate the priority of a fix. I am told that they had categorized the issue as an "improvement" (Ticket QWIN-11760), rather than as a "bug", which in my view it clearly IS. The new ticket, QWIN-13340, correctly re-classifies the issue as a bug. My provisional thanks to "Alex" in Quicken's "Office of the President."

FYI, the public link to contact Mr. Dunn's office is at [link removed].
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Yes, we know that. Now do Alt-F, Esc, and the blinking insertion caret should correctly appear.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
    edited May 2018
    Okay, so they deleted the link. Open the Quicken web site, select "About Us", select "Team", and then click on "Send an email to the Office of the President". It's PUBLIC, for heaven's sake, and an INVITATION by the company to contact the corporate office. The response I got was very polite and helpful, so I'm personally giving them the benefit of doubt. For a while at least. If anyone else messages them, I recommend being polite to THEM in return.
    edited May 2018

I have done some further testing of this.  It works in some situations and not others.  One it does not work on is if I have and investment statement open and my investment account in Quicken 2018 R8.8.  Doing an Alt-Tab to the statement and then Alt-Tab, Alt-F, Esc back to Quicken does not restore the cursor to its previous position.  Still work to be done here.
  • Michael RosenMichael Rosen Member ✭✭
    edited January 9
    R10.11 and this is still an issue.  It's more than an alt-tab issue.  If I switch to an account by clicking on it in the account pane, the date cursor disappears.  I can click a second time on the account name to reactivate, but I should not have to do this.
  • ZaveRudmanZaveRudman Member
    edited August 2018

I don't particularly like using the pop-up registers in Quicken, but doing so does seem to provide the best work-around for this irritating issue.

Today I tried to communicate with the Quicken CEO, Eric Dunn. Of course I didn't get to HIM, but I did perhaps shake something loose. I got a long and polite response from one of his people, a new support ticket, and a promise to elevate the priority of a fix. I am told that they had categorized the issue as an "improvement" (Ticket QWIN-11760), rather than as a "bug", which in my view it clearly IS. The new ticket, QWIN-13340, correctly re-classifies the issue as a bug. My provisional thanks to "Alex" in Quicken's "Office of the President."

Who removed the link? IS someone afraid?
  • edited November 2018
    Revisiting this post before some efficient but solution-less moderator closes it. We would like this bug fixed, we are paying the license every year... please acknowledge at least. Thanks.
    edited August 2018

The admins here didn't like it. They wouldn't even let me tell how to get TO the link. Even though with a little work, anyone can find it on the Quicken web site. This reply will probably go away, too.
  • Michael RosenMichael Rosen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Hello, Big Brother.
This discussion has been closed.