Paycheck Setup Wizard Error - Account Dropdown Incorrect

KGKG Member
Trying to set up a paycheck using the wizard Planning > Tax Center > Add Paycheck). The account dropdown box in the top right is NOT showing my checking account. It shows a bunch of closed accounts as well as brokerage and IRA accounts.

Same thing happens if I try to edit an existing paycheck - the Primary account changes to one of those old accounts in the drop down. I CANNOT add a Primary account other than those in the truncated dropdown list.

I am using Quicken 2016 Home and Business Version R14 Build 25.1.14.5. I think this issue started after I applied the R14/R16 patch a couple of days ago but I am not 100% certain. I do know that the issues wasn't there when I had last entered my paycheck 15 days ago.

Comments

• ToddTodd Member
    edited October 2017
    The same thing happen to me after updating to 2015 Premier R15, it change all of the already enter checks to a different account. When trying to fix the issue the only thing that should up in the accounts was investment and some Asset and Liability account, talk to quicken support for over an hour and half with the only solutions to me was to load an old backup file and manually enter the missing transactions. After logging off quicken, sync and later logging back into the older backup file did the same thing.

I am hoping some one has a solution for the problem I have number of years of paycheck entries that were effected.
  • KGKG Member
    edited October 2017
    Someone else me-too'd this issue.

I found a workaround. In the account drop down box, there is an option to Add an account. I chose this option and went through the process of adding my checking account again. Surprisingly, Quicken didn't complain and accepted the added account even though it was already there.  It also didn't create a new account, just made some under the hood changes so that my checking account became part of the drop down list.

Clearly there's a bug that I hope Quicken will address. If you are planning to do this, I would strongly urge that you backup your existing Quicken file first.  
  • Bob HoneymanBob Honeyman Member
    edited October 2017
    I actually restored a file from a month or so ago and recovered the paycheck form with the correct accounts. When I went to add my last paycheck, the damn form reverted back to the bug. 

I just tried the fool-quicken-bug trick. Didn't work.

I often detest Quicken. I expect this to take months to fix.
  • KGKG Member
    edited October 2017
    Thanks everyone for confirming the bug. So far I haven't heard anyone from Quicken respond/comment on this issue. Does Quicken support monitor this forum? Or is there a more official formal way of recording a bug?
  • KGKG Member
    edited October 2017
    KG said:

Someone else me-too'd this issue.

I found a workaround. In the account drop down box, there is an option to Add an account. I chose this option and went through the process of adding my checking account again. Surprisingly, Quicken didn't complain and accepted the added account even though it was already there.  It also didn't create a new account, just made some under the hood changes so that my checking account became part of the drop down list.

Clearly there's a bug that I hope Quicken will address. If you are planning to do this, I would strongly urge that you backup your existing Quicken file first.  

The workaround lasted only 2 days. Today when I logged into Quicken, my checking account that I had added 2 days ago is gone from the dropdown list.

Quicken - please fix this!!!
  • Matt KnudsenMatt Knudsen Member
    edited October 2017
    Having the same issue on Quicken 2015 after the big update they had a couple weeks back to move everything over from Inuit to Quicken servers. 
    Initially I was just cutting and pasting the transaction from the incorrect account back to my Primary checking, but now I accidentally modified the upcoming Income reminders so now my entire projected balance forecasting and bill tracking is off!  :-(  So angry with Quicken over this.

Do NOT try to do a Valid & Report (under File>File Operations), at least without making multiple backups.  I did this after the update 2 weeks ago and it wiped out 1 year of my account history and listed a negative multi-trillion transaction that I couldn't delete on my credit card.  (ok.. it's me. i'm the one who racked up 1/3 of the US national debt :-) )   Thankfully had a backup from a few days earlier and only lost 45 minutes of manual updates. 

Going to email quicken so they can get their struggling software updated.

matt
  • edited October 2017
    Same issue. Tried changing my usual paycheck bank account (a checking account) from "Spending" to Savings" under "Account Details-Display Optios-Account Intent" but got nothing. Help!
    edited October 2017
    How is it possible that this hasn't been treated as a critical bug? The paycheck wizard is critical to year-end tax reporting. This is ridiculous.
    edited October 2017

Having the same issue on Quicken 2015 after the big update they had a couple weeks back to move everything over from Inuit to Quicken servers. 
    Initially I was just cutting and pasting the transaction from the incorrect account back to my Primary checking, but now I accidentally modified the upcoming Income reminders so now my entire projected balance forecasting and bill tracking is off!  :-(  So angry with Quicken over this.

Do NOT try to do a Valid & Report (under File>File Operations), at least without making multiple backups.  I did this after the update 2 weeks ago and it wiped out 1 year of my account history and listed a negative multi-trillion transaction that I couldn't delete on my credit card.  (ok.. it's me. i'm the one who racked up 1/3 of the US national debt :-) )   Thankfully had a backup from a few days earlier and only lost 45 minutes of manual updates. 

matt

Good luck with that. I'm sure they were ultra-responsive. 

Not.
  • KGKG Member
    edited October 2017

matt

Matt - Did you email Quicken? How did you do it and what was the outcome?

I looked up Quicken support (https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support) and they can be contacted via Premium Support (I don't have it), Live chat (6 min wait time) and Phone Support (18 min wait time). I don't see an email option.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    I'm not seeing this issue in QW2018 H&B.  When I went, just now, to Planning, Tax Center, Add Paycheck ... ALL of my banking accounts were available in the dropdown.
    This was true if I tried to setup a paycheck for either my wife or myself.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • edited October 2017
    Same issue! Waiting on online support.. glad to know I'm not the only one.  WTF Quicken.
    edited October 2017

I'm not seeing this issue in QW2018 H&B.  When I went, just now, to Planning, Tax Center, Add Paycheck ... ALL of my banking accounts were available in the dropdown.
    This was true if I tried to setup a paycheck for either my wife or myself.

Sorry, "Upgrade to fix a major bug" is not reasonable solution.  Prove to me you can make & support solid software, and then I'll consider shelling out more money. 
  • edited February 2018
    Quicken Support: This is repeatable, contact me if you need evidence or exact re-play steps.

I'm using Quicken Deluxe Win 2016 (R14) on Win 10 OS (Fall Creators Update) - I performed a few tests (restoring older backups before R14), then seeing where things went wrong with the paycheck setup accounts drop-down list where it is missing some accounts. I also went as far as setting up a couple of new accounts just to compare against older existing accounts.

Bottom line: Any new accounts that are setup *without* using the mobile sync, they will appear in the paycheck setup account drop-down list, however when mobile sync is activated on any account (even with a zero balance), something changes and the account no longer appears in the paycheck setup drop-down list. I also noticed at the same time that the "$" symbol in the Accounts List goes missing - this is probably just another symptom of the same bug.
    edited October 2017

Quicken Support: This is repeatable, contact me if you need evidence or exact re-play steps.

I'm using Quicken Deluxe Win 2016 (R14) on Win 10 OS (Fall Creators Update) - I performed a few tests (restoring older backups before R14), then seeing where things went wrong with the paycheck setup accounts drop-down list where it is missing some accounts. I also went as far as setting up a couple of new accounts just to compare against older existing accounts.

Bottom line: Any new accounts that are setup *without* using the mobile sync, they will appear in the paycheck setup account drop-down list, however when mobile sync is activated on any account (even with a zero balance), something changes and the account no longer appears in the paycheck setup drop-down list. I also noticed at the same time that the "$" symbol in the Accounts List goes missing - this is probably just another symptom of the same bug.

Great research!  I've observed the same behavior with the "$" missing from account values.   Going to try turning off mobile sync later and see if that fixes. 
  • edited October 2017

Thank you, Matt!  I also looked at that, unfortunately it cannot be undone by removing the account from mobile sync. Something is fundamentally changed in the account.
  • KGKG Member
    edited October 2017
    Same issue reported in thread https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/after-updating-quicken-2016-home-bus-r14-paychec...

Is it possible to combine threads? Maybe Quicken looks at the number of posters to determine which bugs to quash?
  • DonnaGGDonnaGG Member
    edited September 2018
    I am also now experiencing this paycheck issue. Win7 Quicken 2016 R14.1 Did the manual update yesterday and it didn't fix the problem.
    Correct, I'm not paying to upgrade if I'm not seeing Quicken being responsive to current issues.
  • KGKG Member
    edited November 2017
    Quicken Kathryn has finally acknowledged this issue.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/after-updating-quicken-2016-home-bus-r14-paychec...

(Many people have reported on this on different threads).
  • J&T WHJ&T WH Member
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Q2018, paycheck wizard drop down does not include my main checking account..

Q2018, paycheck wizard drop down does not include my bank accounts in the drop down box. This was a problem prior to the release of 2018, but after I upgraded the problem went away until tonight (1/7/2018).  

Quicken 2018 Premier
  • J&T WHJ&T WH Member
    edited January 2018
    I have found a way to fix the problem (hopefully Quicken still finds the root of the problem).  

If you download transactions from your financial institution into the account where your paycheck is deposited.

1)  Go to the account details and deactivate the account.  Repeat the deactivation for all the accounts you have at the financial institution.  Note:  If you only deactivate the primary deposit account this won't reset the account in the paycheck wizzard.
    2)  Once you have deactivated the accounts make sure you unsynch all the accounts from the web.
    3)  Close Quicken
    4)  Reboot your computer.
    5)  Restart Quicken
    6)  Reactivate the accounts and download transactions from your financial institution.
    7)  Resynch the accounts to the web. 
    8)  Check your paycheck in the deposits/bill section and/or your register.

This worked for me and keeping my fingers it doesn't mess up again.  

• J&T WHJ&T WH Member
    edited January 2018
    J&T WH said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Q2018, paycheck wizard drop down does not include my main checking account..

Q2018, paycheck wizard drop down does not include my bank accounts in the drop down box. This was a problem prior to the release of 2018, but after I upgraded the problem went away until tonight (1/7/2018).  

Quicken 2018 Premier

I see that Quicken moved my conversation to a similar conversation that was several months old; my issue was a new problem that started this week.  Will the people following my previous post be able to see my temporary solution below?
  • JimJim Member
    edited January 2018
    J&T WH said:

I have found a way to fix the problem (hopefully Quicken still finds the root of the problem).  

If you download transactions from your financial institution into the account where your paycheck is deposited.

1)  Go to the account details and deactivate the account.  Repeat the deactivation for all the accounts you have at the financial institution.  Note:  If you only deactivate the primary deposit account this won't reset the account in the paycheck wizzard.
    2)  Once you have deactivated the accounts make sure you unsynch all the accounts from the web.
    3)  Close Quicken
    5)  Restart Quicken
    6)  Reactivate the accounts and download transactions from your financial institution.

It worked with Quicken 2018.  Thanks a million.
  • edited January 2018
    J&T WH said:

3)  Close Quicken
    5)  Restart Quicken

The paycheck feature worked fine for me until my first paycheck in 2018 (1/12/18).  Now my paycheck goes into another account.  I tried to edit my paycheck setup, the drop down account selector no longer includes any Banking accounts (only Investment accounts are available for selection). 

If you have an existing paycheck that no longer goes into the correct account here is a simple quick fix (until Quicken fixes this).

Quick (temporary) Fix:
    1) Find the account your paycheck is now going into.
    2) Select the transaction.
    3) Move it (right click) to the correct account.
  • edited January 2018
    J&T WH said:

3)  Close Quicken
    5)  Restart Quicken

The paycheck feature worked fine for me until my first paycheck in 2018 (1/12/18).  Now my paycheck goes into another account.  I tried to edit my paycheck setup, the drop down account selector no longer includes any Banking accounts (only Investment accounts are available for selection). 

If you have an existing paycheck that no longer goes into the correct account here is a simple quick fix (until Quicken fixes this).

Quick (temporary) Fix:
    1) Find the account your paycheck is now going into.
    2) Select the transaction.
    3) Move it (right click) to the correct account.
  • KGKG Member
    edited January 2018
    Disabling Mobile Worked for me (fingers crossed)

About a month ago I stumbled upon this solution and (fingers crossed) I've never had this problem since then. My regular checking account shows in the drop-down, not a bunch of brokerage accounts.

On Quicken 2016:
    Go to Mobile & Alerts
    Click on "Add or Remove Accounts to Sync"
    Enter Vault password (if prompted)
    Uncheck ALL accounts (or click on Select none at the bottom
    Click Update Accounts

Of course, you will lose Mobile Sync and the ability to use the Quicken App. Personally, I never liked the Quicken App so this wasn't an issue for me.
  • J&T WHJ&T WH Member
    edited January 2018
    KG - Disabling synch (which is a major function within Quicken) is not a solution.  
  • KGKG Member
    edited January 2018
    J&T WH said:

KG - Disabling synch (which is a major function within Quicken) is not a solution.  

To clarify, I am not disabling all sync. I am only disabling mobile sync.
  • craterzcraterz Member
    edited January 2018
    J&T WH said:

Still not a solution, this is only a band-aid, e.g., a meager, very temporary, work-around that doesn't work for everyone.

I believe J&T's point is that some folks actually use the mobile sync, such as myself. So this is not a solution to the issue.
  • KGKG Member
    edited January 2018
    J&T WH said:

I understand this doesn't work for you and J&T and I was very clear that you would lose mobile sync. Only Quicken programmers can provide actual solutions that will work for everyone. The rest of us in this user-to-user forum are exchanging band-aids. IMHO, disabling mobile sync appears to be a one of the more stable band-aids that are very easy to apply and should benefit those that don't use mobile sync.