Quicken Billpay included in QWin 2018 Premier and above for no extra charge?

I've been reading the available information about the upcoming Quicken 2018 subscription based products and one thing jumped out at me. Is it true that Quicken Billpay is now included at no extra charge with Premier and above? How will this work if a user already pays for Quicken Billpay every month? Will that billing stop as soon as 2018 is activated?

If this is true, then the subscription model just became much more valuable to me. I've been paying monthly for Billpay services for YEARS.

Can someone elaborate and give definitive information on this topic?

Comments

• QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    You read it right, you get Quicken Bill pay with the Quicken 2018 subscription of Premier or above.
    But I don't know the details of how you would switch over from monthly.
  • edited October 2018
    What is the cost of the subscription?
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2017

All that is known at this point can be found in this thread:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/since-office-depot-has-already-spilled-the-beans-what-can-be-learned-from-their-ad
  • MrTimmyMrTimmy Member
    edited October 2017

I pay $9.95 per month for Quicken Billpay, so "subscribing" to Premier would be a no-brainer.
  • edited October 2017

I agree.  I also would like to know how/when the switch from my current Bill Pay to the subscribed no fee version will occur.  Can Quicken definitively reply? 
  • edited October 2017

Me too.
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser
    edited October 2017
    So here's an interesting thing that might answer this question.  If I search with Google for "Quicken 2018" one of the results that comes up is this (on 17th Oct 2017):

As I write this, clicking on the link just takes you to Quicken's home page, so it appears that somehow Google managed to index a page that was not intended to be available yet - perhaps it was published in error and then removed, but not before Google had seen it.

Anyhow, the text from the page that Google displays in the search result seems to be enough to answer the OP's question - you'll have to cancel your existing bill pay account and open a new one.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R18.16 on Windows 10 Pro v1809
  • MrTimmyMrTimmy Member
    edited October 2017
    Dan, thanks for digging that up. I have to say that it does sound less than optimal as a direction.

I think of the logistics and all of the saved payees from across the years. I do hope they put a little more thought into it and work with Metavante to come up with a better solution that allows for some migration/transition path.
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

Dan, thanks for digging that up. I have to say that it does sound less than optimal as a direction.

I think of the logistics and all of the saved payees from across the years. I do hope they put a little more thought into it and work with Metavante to come up with a better solution that allows for some migration/transition path.

I agree, it would be much better if you could “associate” your new subscription with an existing account. I don’t use Bill Pay myself so I’m not familiar with it’s capabilities or options; can your payee list be exported in some way so that it could be imported into a new account?

If not, setting up a new account might just have to be the price paid for the benefit of having it included in the Quicken subscription price.
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

I guess we also need to bear in mind that as that page that Google turns up isn’t actually available on the Quicken website at the moment then it might be changed before Quicken 2018 “goes live”.
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator
    edited October 2017
    Hi All,
    First, apologies on the FAQ--we had a couple of days when 'draft' FAQs were appearing publicly--when that issue was resolved, the FAQs went offline--but, the good news is that we will have complete instructions for the transition of your Bill Pay accounts. 

Essentially, you will need to cancel your existing account and then create a new account with Quicken Bill Pay; this is to get you onto their newer platform.  Once you create a new account, you'll add that new account to Quicken, and Quicken will recognize your membership includes free Bill Pay automatically.  

More detailed information will be live at launch--

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

@MrTimmy,
    Unfortunately, this is only way we can transition users to the latest Bill Pay tools; you can of course see your history in Quicken itself, but there wasn't a way to combine legacy accounts with the new Bill Pay services.

Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • MrTimmyMrTimmy Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the update Kathryn. I think the biggest challenges for me will be the transition period during which future scheduled payments "bleed down" and especially the need to create payees all over again. I've built quite a collection. Will the instructions address the payee question? I.E. Will we need to delete payees in the old system and create payees in the new? Will there be ANY kind of migration available? Thanks again.
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

Thanks for the update Kathryn. I think the biggest challenges for me will be the transition period during which future scheduled payments "bleed down" and especially the need to create payees all over again. I've built quite a collection. Will the instructions address the payee question? I.E. Will we need to delete payees in the old system and create payees in the new? Will there be ANY kind of migration available? Thanks again.

Hi MrTimmy,
    There won't be a migration, however, you do not need to delete all of your prior payees--you can have an overlap period if you want to have your old account and new account available at the same time (there's a 30-day free period upon enrolling) so you could have your records to recreate the payees, but unfortunately, there's no direct way that I know of to move payees from one account to another.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

This is potentially distressing news. I’d rather just keep paying the monthly fee and not have to go through such disruption, but I suspect we won’t be able to do that for long.
  • MrTimmyMrTimmy Member
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

30 Day Free Period? Isn't it part of the subscription and technically available at no extra charge anyway? 
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

Hi MrTimmy,
    Yes, but everyone who subscribes to bill pay technically gets a 30-day free period to use and cancel without charge, even if it comes with your subscription--I just wanted to make the point that you could technically access both if you needed to see your bill pay history.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • MrTimmyMrTimmy Member
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

Ok, thanks. Looking forward to the upcoming release. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions.
  • SalAliottaSalAliotta Member
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

What about my existing recurring payments?  Will they all need to be re-entered?  Will this cause potential duplicate payments, or worse, missed payments?
  • SalAliottaSalAliotta Member
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

What about my existing recurring payments?  Will they all need to be re-entered?  Will this cause potential duplicate payments, or worse, missed payments?
  • edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

I’m going to sit and see how the upgrade works for others before doing it. I see that we are supposed to get premium support with the premium package. That is what I am most concerned about given my frightening experience with the recent changes— and it seems I was one of many many customers. It’s reassuring to see advice from a member of tech support on this issue. I really hope Quicken tech support will help us and not leave it to other, equally lost community members to do so.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

Elizabeth Weinberger just so you know "Premium support" means that you will "go to the head of the line" (wait less time for them to pick up/start chat).  It doesn't mean you will talk to someone different than the people that are using the "free support".

How going to front of the line will play out when there are ton of people on that "plan"...

From some reports here, during this conversion from Intuit Id to Quicken Id when the support is being flooded with calls, premium support doesn't seem to be "effective".

One has to wonder if it doesn't work during a time like this, what good is it?
    After all when the requests are "light" you aren't going to have wait much anyways.
  • edited October 2017
    MrTimmy said:

Obviously, that is not the answer I was hoping for. Again, I’m going to stay with what I have now as long as I’m can to avoid another very stressful disruption. I’m hoping they get it right this time, but not being able to migrate my data is very worrisome.
  • ScottScott Member
    edited October 2017
    Just performed the upgrade to Quicken 2018 and it did NOT bring across the connection to my existing BillPay account.  I set the wheels in motion to create a new account but I remain absolutely aggravated and insulted that Quicken would offer this service without a true migration plan.  To just say 'it cannot be done' is lazy and shows that upper management is not concerned with the customer experience.  BOTH old and new BillPay accounts are through Metavante so it seems clear that they just did not want to create a clean migration path. 
  • ScottScott Member
    edited October 2017

Hi All,
    First, apologies on the FAQ--we had a couple of days when 'draft' FAQs were appearing publicly--when that issue was resolved, the FAQs went offline--but, the good news is that we will have complete instructions for the transition of your Bill Pay accounts. 

Essentially, you will need to cancel your existing account and then create a new account with Quicken Bill Pay; this is to get you onto their newer platform.  Once you create a new account, you'll add that new account to Quicken, and Quicken will recognize your membership includes free Bill Pay automatically.  

More detailed information will be live at launch--

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

'The good news is that we will have complete instructions for the transition of your Bill Pay accounts'   ... I've been told that I have to create a new account and no migration/transition path is provided by multiple customer service reps.   Did customer service drop the ball and perhaps there IS a transition plan, or did management drop the ball and just decide to screw over countless loyal customers? 
  • edited October 2017
    That’s just what I was afraid of. I would not have hesitated to do the upgrade, but after the horrendous experience so many of us had after Quicken disengaged from Intuit, I feared more of the same. Thanks for warning us. I’m going to avoid the upgrade as long as possible, while looking into possible alternatives. Anyone have better luck with Quick Books?
  • MrTimmyMrTimmy Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

Just performed the upgrade to Quicken 2018 and it did NOT bring across the connection to my existing BillPay account.  I set the wheels in motion to create a new account but I remain absolutely aggravated and insulted that Quicken would offer this service without a true migration plan.  To just say 'it cannot be done' is lazy and shows that upper management is not concerned with the customer experience.  BOTH old and new BillPay accounts are through Metavante so it seems clear that they just did not want to create a clean migration path. 

Wait...what?! You mean our existing YEARS of Bill Pay can't simply be used in the new version? I had just about convinced myself to simply keep my existing Bill Pay account in the new version--essentially skipping the "free" Bill Pay promised in the marketing bullet points. The hassle of starting fresh was not worth it to me.

I heard one person report that the free period is only one year regardless of subscription length.

We really need some official answers.

If I cannot keep my existing Bill Pay, or migrate seamlessly, I will be forced to stay put.
  • MrTimmyMrTimmy Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

Here is some info from the Quicken support pages and FAQs:

"If you have an existing Quicken Bill Pay account with Quicken for Windows (2017 or older) or Quicken for Mac (2016 or older) you will need to cancel that account and create a new one on the new Quicken Bill Pay website; instructions for canceling are here."

"Can I use my existing Quicken Bill Pay account with a Quicken Subscription?
    If you use Quicken Bill Pay with any Quicken for Windows product or Quicken for Mac 2007, when you upgrade to the 2018 Release you'll need to cancel your existing bill pay account and open a new bill pay account in order to continue using bill pay with Quicken."

"Which Quicken releases will have free Quicken Bill Pay?
    The 2018 release of Premier and Home, Business & Rental Property for both Windows and Mac include one year of free bill pay."
  • MrTimmyMrTimmy Member
    edited October 2017
    Scott said:

My Credit Union has free bill pay as part of my membership. I'm going to add some payees and give it a shot. If all goes well, I will save $9.95 a month. It is not integrated within Quicken the way Quicken Bill Pay is, but then again, they are giving me too many hoops...flaming hoops...to jump through with this transition.

Seriously, did no one think this through? Is there any scenario where this model is acceptable? I would have been better to hold off on this "feature" until everyone was ready and a migration path existed. Feels like someone could have written a script to output an account via XML or something and then import. It could have been done in the background during the time when account verification was taking place.

Here is how I imagine the email going..."We see you are changing between Quicken 2017 to Quicken 2018, our specialists will notify you when your account is ready to use in the new version."

I know every new release has issues, but this one could have been avoided. Just hope the "no annual release approach" means they can quit trying to rack up bullet points for a box and start delivering something that doesn't result in so much drama.
  • edited October 2017
    Scott said:

I too have free BILLPAY through my bank, but I use Quicken for business, and I won’t be able to categorize expenses for deductions and generate reports useful for doing my taxes using that. But, if I have to redo everything anyway, I’m going to look for other software to do it. What were they thinking?? I’ll just continue on paying the monthly fee and avoiding the upgrade until I find something else. What a shame!
This discussion has been closed.