Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Removing a Ticker Symbol from Existing Security? (Mac 2015)

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I am invested in a fund in my 401K that does not have a ticker symbol.  I used one (a different fund class) to get updates, but now I realize that my fund is about $3 more per share, and then my retirement amounts aren't accurate.

I have opened the security window, found the fund in question, and clicked on the pencil to edit.  I have tried to remove the symbol and click "Done", but the ticker symbol isn't removed.

Anyone have any ideas? I haven't tried other options like creating a new security and merging with the one with a ticker symbol - or anything like that.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    There needs to be a symbol. So just enter some random characters that are not a "real" symbol. Quicken will tell you that it cannot download quotes for that symbol. Click Use as Symbol and you're all set.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

There needs to be a symbol. So just enter some random characters that are not a "real" symbol. Quicken will tell you that it cannot download quotes for that symbol. Click Use as Symbol and you're all set.

Thanks very much.  That worked.  I just stuck my kids' names in as the ticker symbol.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

Note, you can go into the security list to manually enter a price history for this fund. That way, you will have an accurate view of how much the fund is worth.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

John - Understood. That's what I want to do.  But - if the ticker symbol was still there, then everytime Quicken updated the security prices, the incorrect price would be collected and the value would be off.  By putting in gobbledygook as Rick recommended, it limits me to manual price entry - and that's what I want.