Flag to identify placeholders generated during downloads (updated title) (3 legacy votes)

Concordman
Concordman Mac Beta Beta
edited February 2020 in Investments (Mac)
Issues having to do with placeholders seem pretty common with QM, I believe it is fair to say that lots of folks are not aware of placeholders & how they impact accounts , in my situation when I download an options transaction from an Fi, I understand that since QM deals poorly with options I know enough to locate the placeholder generated by the option transaction & make the appropriate modifications to the transaction. What I’m proposing may not realistic but it would be useful for folks who have account issues connected to placeholders to know when a placeholder is downloaded into an account; perhaps a marker of some type next to the account in the sidebar , some type of dot or a “ p “ alerting folks to a new placeholder in the account, anyway it’s just a thought.
2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• Lyn Buddenhagen
    Lyn Buddenhagen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It sure would help if a placeholder appeared as the NEWEST entry, not the OLDEST entry in Transactions. 
    That being said, if Quicken puts in a placeholder entry, your Quicken records are not in balance with your financial provider's, and it's a good idea to do the work to find out why. One tool I've used (since I have all my paper statements) is to show the shares and share balance in the columns temporarily, then use the search feature to show only transactions for that security, and compare the shares held at various points in the past.
    I know this has nothing to do with options, sorry.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Lyn, when I generated this it was not based on options only..Having been on the site for a little while I could not help but notice how many folks have no idea what a placeholder is or realize that a placeholder has been downloaded into the account register.. I used the options in my case cause that is where I am seeing the placeholders  & I finally understand enough about how QM does/does not work to look for it.

As I recall these placeholders are plentiful when folks convert over from QW to QM  & show up in multiple accounts. That is why I thought some sort of symbol like the dot or a "P" in the left sidebar would get folks asking themselves.."Hey, what is that dot or "P" all about. Get ya thinking about looking for the placeholder.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    In principle, I think it's a good idea to raise user awareness of placeholders.

However, I would much rather see some text at the top of the register than an undefined indicator in the sidebar (where I'm already scanning to see if there's new transaction dot). Another problem with a sidebar indicator is that some accounts need to have the placeholders remain indefinitely and the sidebar is not a good place for such permanent indicators.

Text at the top of the register could say something like "Placeholder transaction(s) present in this account. Click here for more info." The link would take you to a help page explaining all about placeholders. The text could be placed in the blank area to the right of the Portfolio/Transactions or Transactions/Spending/Income buttons (depending on account type).

This would provide an unobtrusive quick visual check for those that are already familiar with placeholders in addition to providing needed attention for those less familiar.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

It sure would help if a placeholder appeared as the NEWEST entry, not the OLDEST entry in Transactions. 
    That being said, if Quicken puts in a placeholder entry, your Quicken records are not in balance with your financial provider's, and it's a good idea to do the work to find out why. One tool I've used (since I have all my paper statements) is to show the shares and share balance in the columns temporarily, then use the search feature to show only transactions for that security, and compare the shares held at various points in the past.
    I know this has nothing to do with options, sorry.

A placeholder at the end would not stay there because dates are not dynamic...unless Quicken built in more code to make that dynamic too...
    So for now, it being the oldest transaction makes it easy to find, though not very visible. 
    @RickO's suggestion of some indicator to draw attention to its existence would be good.
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian
    user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

However, I would much rather see some text at the top of the register than an undefined indicator in the sidebar (where I'm already scanning to see if there's new transaction dot). Another problem with a sidebar indicator is that some accounts need to have the placeholders remain indefinitely and the sidebar is not a good place for such permanent indicators.

Text at the top of the register could say something like "Placeholder transaction(s) present in this account. Click here for more info." The link would take you to a help page explaining all about placeholders. The text could be placed in the blank area to the right of the Portfolio/Transactions or Transactions/Spending/Income buttons (depending on account type).

This would provide an unobtrusive quick visual check for those that are already familiar with placeholders in addition to providing needed attention for those less familiar.

Rick Im good with that , just would  add "Placeholder transaction(s) added on mm/dd/yr in this account. Click here for more info."  This way the user would know its something recent  & not confuse with the required placeholders
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

...or... just cover the info on where to look for them in the help file.
  • smayer97
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

@Concordman adding the date it was added would get confusing as then you have to explain that the date is the update date and not the date of the placeholder...that will confuse many...just info on where to look, i.e., at the start of the register would be the simplest to implement, to explain, and to support.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

(Canadian
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

Another approach would be to notate in the downloads if a placeholder was downloaded into a particular account
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

Placeholders are not downloaded, per se. They are created or modified when there is a mismatch. But that said, it would be good to have a special alert (perhaps a popup dialog) whenever a placeholder is created or modified. (In addition to the persistent textual note at the top of the register.)
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

Yes Rick that would do it..Now how do we get the folks at Quicken to execute for us?
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

get more votes here :-)
  • Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I think the idea of displaying a notice at the top of a register in which Quicken generated a placeholder would be very useful, and is a useful today as when it was first proposed. Those who spend a lot of time in this forum know that placeholders are an ongoing source of confusion for users. I wouldn't remove this idea. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    Yes...still needed

(Canadian
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team
    -Quicken Anja