Quicken subscription you get all the old bugs at a new price

SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭

The following bugs are still present in the Quicken 2018 subscription R2.1.  Alt-Tab bug still present, click through bug still present, print checks dialog bugs still present, save reports bug still present, the drop down menu bug still present and you will lose your printer preferences and will have to redo those as well.  I found all of this just using it for 1 hour.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best grade and value for the subscription price) I would give Quicken Premier 2018 R2.1 a grade of .2, that is point 2.  That any software company would charge a subscription for this garbage is inexcusable.  The above bugs are not new, and there IS NO EXCUSE for why they are still there.  I will be talking to tech support but I do not expect any help at all. 

Comments

• ProGolferProGolfer Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Win-win for Quicken Inc.  As Quicken 2015-2016-2017 eventually sunset, users will then move to the annual or bi-annual subscription product.

And being that this will be a "rolling" subscription, Quicken Inc can add new features whenever, if ever, they want to.  In actuality they will really have no incentive to improve the product because your subscription will keep automatically renewing anyways.  

I really just see this as a maintenance product now.  Quicken will continue to issue updates just as they have before.  Will they add anything new of any substance? Will they fix anything along the way?  Who knows? 

As of now, according to your post, it's apparent they haven't fixed those lingering issues.  
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    A subscription doesn't change a product, just the way it is paid for.
    Why people seem to expect something different just because it is a subscription is beyond me.

In fact Quicken has been on a subscription for 20 years.  Its term was 3 years.
    The above bugs are not new, and there IS NO EXCUSE for why they are still there.
    There are plenty of excuses.

If you haven't notice Quicken Inc has been working getting the Intuit Id to Quicken Id done.
    That is a total of 9 different product versions, and in some cases releasing multiple times to fix big problems in them.

And on top of that putting in "something new" (online bill redo/PDF downloading, report fonts, ...)

Besides that there are certainly a lot more lingering bugs than you have mentioned.
    If all you have is one bug and it is possible to fix it and you don't, that is one thing.
    When you have tons of things people want done, well then it is a matter of priorities, and Quicken Inc's priorities are certainly not going to line up with every user's.  To a user the bug that is affect them is number one, and all others meaningless.

I know the "no excuse" people that believe that if there is any bugs you shouldn't release.
    Well the truth is that if that was the criteria, no software would be released.  Certainly not Quicken.

So I think the real criteria Quicken Inc is using is more like "as functional or better than the existing version".   Or maybe "It has to work (even that work is with 'workarounds') 99% of the users."

BTW if you think 99% is to high of a rating, that means that 1 in 100 can't use it, and there is supposedly millions using it.  You do the math.  I actually think the users that can use (with workaround) is much higher.

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    ProGolfer said:

Win-win for Quicken Inc.  As Quicken 2015-2016-2017 eventually sunset, users will then move to the annual or bi-annual subscription product.

And being that this will be a "rolling" subscription, Quicken Inc can add new features whenever, if ever, they want to.  In actuality they will really have no incentive to improve the product because your subscription will keep automatically renewing anyways.  

I really just see this as a maintenance product now.  Quicken will continue to issue updates just as they have before.  Will they add anything new of any substance? Will they fix anything along the way?  Who knows? 

As of now, according to your post, it's apparent they haven't fixed those lingering issues.  

I fail to see why an automatic renewing subscription changes anything.
    You can still cancel it.

Every year people have to decide if they want to continue using Quicken or not.

About the only thing I see different for the "3 year buyers" is that they can put off that decision for 2 years.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

Why people seem to expect something different just because it is a subscription is beyond me.

The above bugs are not new, and there IS NO EXCUSE for why they are still there.

If you haven't notice Quicken Inc has been working getting the Intuit Id to Quicken Id done.
    That is a total of 9 different product versions, and in some cases releasing multiple times to fix big problems in them.

And on top of that putting in "something new" (online bill redo/PDF downloading, report fonts, ...)

Besides that there are certainly a lot more lingering bugs than you have mentioned.
    If all you have is one bug and it is possible to fix it and you don't, that is one thing.
    When you have tons of things people want done, well then it is a matter of priorities, and Quicken Inc's priorities are certainly not going to line up with every user's.  To a user the bug that is affect them is number one, and all others meaningless.

I know the "no excuse" people that believe that if there is any bugs you shouldn't release.
    Well the truth is that if that was the criteria, no software would be released.  Certainly not Quicken.

So I think the real criteria Quicken Inc is using is more like "as functional or better than the existing version".   Or maybe "It has to work (even that work is with 'workarounds') 99% of the users."

BTW if you think 99% is to high of a rating, that means that 1 in 100 can't use it, and there is supposedly millions using it.  You do the math.  I actually think the users that can use (with workaround) is much higher.

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.Henceforth to be known as the WOAF ratio.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I will agree that there is no such thing as a bug free release BUT  to have all of these bugs that effect the basic usability of the program, THAT is what is inexcusable.  The divestiture from Intuit is a poor excuse.  The top priorities should be those effect the user interface and data integrity.  If we were talking one bug I may see your point but we are talking multiple bugs that have existed for multiple years way before Intuit sold Quicken so that "excuse" does not pass the smell test.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

Now if I was to list the number of users that can use Quicken without any frustration now that would be a very low percentage.WOAF.  :-)  I like that!

BTW I stated they were working on 9 product versions it was actually 11 (missed the two new 2018 versions).
    1. 2015 through 2017 Quicken Windows Canadian old versions.
    2. 2015 through 2017 Quicken Windows US old versions.
    3. 2015 through 2017 Quicken Mac old versions.
    4. Quicken Mac 2018
    5. Quicken Windows 2018.
    And they will also need to put out Quicken Windows Canadian (2018, but it might not be called that since they are already on a subscription for 2017).

It won't be until next year that the number of supported releases actually starts to drop for the US products.
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

I will agree that there is no such thing as a bug free release BUT  to have all of these bugs that effect the basic usability of the program, THAT is what is inexcusable.  The divestiture from Intuit is a poor excuse.  The top priorities should be those effect the user interface and data integrity.  If we were talking one bug I may see your point but we are talking multiple bugs that have existed for multiple years way before Intuit sold Quicken so that "excuse" does not pass the smell test.

So what would you prefer? They fix the bugs that affect you personally and they don’t deal with the separation from Intuit, or they fix your favourites and everything stops working?
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2020 R23.14 on Windows 10 Pro v1903
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

Because it would be certainly impossible for Quicken Inc to do BOTH????

What, is there one programmer for Quicken?  

I'm with Snowman on this one.  Lingering bugs should be addressed from version to version.

Heck, they should have been fixed in a maintenance update months and months ago when first reported.  These aren't isolated one user bugs.  These are verifiable reported bugs.  They should be addressed and fixed under Eric Dunn's promise to increase quality of their product.  
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

As QPW has pointed out in numerous threads, there isn’t one version of Quicken that needs maintenance and updates, there are currently eleven. Given infinite time and money all bugs could easily be addressed, but the real world isn’t like that.

Nobody's forcing you to use Quicken and put up with all of the workarounds and idiosyncrasies. I find it irritating and frustrating at times, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me, so I learn how to avoid the issues. YMMV.
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

How about Quicken addresses the bugs that have lingered from one year version to another?  That's too much to ask?  

I don't understand your reasoning.  You're just making excuses for Quicken Inc for not doing THEIR job.

I too believe it's next to impossible to create completely bug free software.  But when particular bugs have been verified by multitudes of customers, that's something that needs to be addressed.  

And if Quicken needs to hire more personnel...so be it.  That's their problem.  Why should Quicken's customers have to put up with buggy software?  

Your answer is...well, if you don't like it, too bad.  Move on.  My perspective is...fix it already.  
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

As I said, YMMV. Quicken have to prioritise, my favourite bugs and your favourite bugs may differ. Which ones should they fix? Probably will turn out to be neither as they are chasing down issues which are a higher priority (to them).

So what to do? Quicken does 99% of what I need really well without problems. I could raise my blood pressure getting stressed about things I think they should have fixed years ago, or I can have another glass of red wine and recognise that life isn’t perfect. You seem to be in the first camp, I’m just pouring myself a glass of Pinotage.
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

Dan...we're not talking about ANYONE'S favorite bug.

We're talking about verifiable bugs that most users experience and have to use some sort of workaround to get the software to work properly.

These include the "click through" problem that has existed ALL through Quicken 2017.  Also includes the shortcut keys not working.

This is just sloppy programming...and inattentiveness to quality control.  

Enjoy your wine.  I'll have a glass in your honor.  

And BTW, this isn't keeping me up nights.  It's just a pretty lousy way to support what's supposed to be a polished product.  
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

Well yes, the click through problem. I agree it’s poor, it only affected Q2017 to start with, but now seems to have spread to earlier versions with the conversion to the Quicken ID and according to reports in this forum today is still present in Q2018.

But the thing is, there are at least two alternate ways of achieving the same thing that the menu items affected by that problem do (right click menus and keyboard shortcuts). These aren’t obscure workarounds, they have been standard functionality in Windows for more than 15 years.

I think that’s how the developers look at it, and they prioritise accordingly.

Santé!
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

Dan, the click though bug has existed for many versions as I was the one who first discovered it.  IT HAS nothing to do with the conversion to the Quicken ID and yes it is still there so we can put that excuse to rest.   Depending upon the screen resolution and where the menu is you can cause trouble that can't be addressed by putting items in the keyboard shortcuts.  I have done that for the Backup command but I will still inadvertently trigger a resort of the register.  The Alt-Tab is another bug that has come, took several years to fix and is back again.  The check print dialog is another that has been around for several versions and there are not workarounds nor are there any for custom reports that are not saved properly.  These are things that effect everyone.

I would be embarrassed by the types of bugs that are effecting the basic functionality of the program.  Yes there are/where more versions than you can shake a stick at but that is not our fault now is it?  It should just be fixed.  I do not loss sleep over this either BUT there are many who do not have the computer savey that I have or many of the SU's have and it is them that I feel for because they are being taken advantage of.

Sometime I think it is part of an SU's job description to defend Quicken no matter what.  We were promised two years ago that the main focus would be to fix all of these bugs that have lingered year after year.  Hope springs eternal and I had hoped that Quicken 2018 would be a great step in the right direction. Doooh, I should have known better.

• ClaytonClayton Member
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

I caved in and decided to give 2018 a try. Downloaded and installed very smoothly. Did have to re-set a couple of preferences and then I went to "testing". Alas I find that I've bought the "Click Through" bug. Other than that, so far it's all doing everything I've tried. There a couple of the new screens/tabs that are horrible, but I can get used to them.

Disappointing in that I too expected a little more coming with this transition. Maybe the patches as they come will address some of the real issues others are struggling with.
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

Fred, SUs are neither required nor encouraged to defend Intuit or Quicken Inc. SUs can be the loudest critics. I know I am not reticent about speaking out about bugs/issues/policy decisions I see an issue with and I don't think any other SUs hold back on giving their opinions on bugs.
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

Criticism of a Quicken product will get you banned from this site.  
  • RhinecliffRhinecliff Member
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

@ProGolfer ; .... You are correct.  Also can mean the end to SuperUser status plus being banned.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

still there so we can put that excuse to rest. 
    I don't think you even understood what Dan was saying.
    It was noticed that there were some bugs noticed in Quicken 2017 that were not noticed in other versions, until the roll out of the code to change from the Intuit Id to the Quicken Id.

When doing something like this where the code is basically the same between different versions of Quicken it is highly likely that they merged code from one branch (version) of Quicken to another.  And in doing so they could have merged "extra code" that brought in that bug(s).  I certainly think that was the case in a few things I have seen.

Also in fact I was in someways pulling your chain.  People use certain expressions without thinking what they mean literally.

You said "no excuse".  Sure what you meant is "There is no excuse that I will except."
    And that is certainly true.  Your comments certainly bare that out.

But taken literally "no excuse" is wrong, there are plenty of them.
    Some might be something that no one would accept,
    Some might be something that most Quicken users would accept.
    And of course there are no excuses you will accept (but they are still excuses).

As for criticizing Quicken Inc, I have certainly done my share of that.
    But in fact I don't really see much point in a statement like "this isn't acceptable", "no excuse", or endless rants.

I certainly believe in pointing out problems, and also giving Quicken Inc information about how many people are affected and to what degree.  I go to great lengths to make sure all the bugs I report are "verifiable/reproducible".  To me it just makes sense the easier I make it for them to find the bug the more likely they are to fix it.

But I personally don't think I work faster for someone that comes in and rants in my face.  In fact I do the exact opposite.

So I see no reason to believe that all the negative comments are a "positive force" to getting anything fixed in Quicken.  So I try not to practice in it.

At times like this I can't resist commenting, but I have certainly tried to keep out of it.
    I see very little value in the practice.
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

There is an enormous difference between constructive criticism and rude disruptive rants. It should not be rocket surgery to figure out the difference.
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

"Sometime I think it is part of an SU's job description to defend Quicken no matter what"

"Criticism of a Quicken product will get you banned from this site"

I'm amused that you seem to think I'm defending Quicken, given that I said earlier in this thread that the situation is "poor" and in another thread a few hours ago on mobile budgeting I said the situation "stinks". They haven't banned me yet, but if they do I'll take the same stoic approach I take to the software; I'll still be lurking here for insights into the latest bugs and workarounds and other helpful tips.

"You're just making excuses for Quicken Inc for not doing THEIR job."

No excuses, just giving an alternate view on what might be important to them in relative terms.  Clearly for the past twelve to eighteen months they have been focussed on separation from the Intuit infrastructure and establishing their own subscription infrastructure, both of which are critical to the future of the company.  If they had to make priority calls between that and user interface issues I can see which way they would go.

"And if Quicken needs to hire more personnel...so be it"

About 25 or 30 years ago a wise old project manager that I worked with had to explain to his management why using more personnel wouldn't achieve the targets that management wanted to set.  The core of his argument was that nine women couldn't make a baby in a month (he didn't put it quite like that but if I quoted him accurately I think it probably would get me banned!).  Not all problems can be eliminated by using more people.
  • NordinKaNordinKa Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

One should be able to feel the frustration of person who purchase with hope and lastly found it's not as what he/she expected. 
    Give room for the comment as a way of delivering the feel, and if need to, object with respect.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

@Dan Glynhampton  "The Mythical Man Month" by Fred Brooks was first published in 1975.

IMO, The issue with Quicken has always been a failure to set expectations.  Those of us that have been using their product for a long time are simply thankful the product still exists.  Because of our past experiences, we tend to delay committing to a new version of the product for many months until we think the kinks have been worked out.  It's useful to learn about which issues have been resolved and which still exist.  It is also useful to learn about any new issues that appear.

I don't know why the OP thought these specific existing issues would be resolved in Quicken 2018 but I've been told more than once that an issue will be resolved in the next version.  I've learned that only means that the issue won't be addressed in the current version.

My fear with the new model is that going forward there will only be one version and we'll be expected to stay current on that version.  Most of the software products I use have two maintained versions, one is "stable" and the other is for "early adopters".

Interestingly, this year was the first time I didn't upgrade.  I've stayed with Quicken 2016 because Quicken 2017 has not felt like a "stable" version to me and I don't think there was a significant improvement in the features I care about.  In fact, IMO, Quicken 2017 is worse than Quicken 2016.  It's important to acknowledge that we do use Quicken differently and features that may be significant to me may not be as significant to you so I'm fine with us having differing opinions.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

@Dan Glynhampton  "The Mythical Man Month" by Fred Brooks was first published in 1975.

IMO, The issue with Quicken has always been a failure to set expectations.  Those of us that have been using their product for a long time are simply thankful the product still exists.  Because of our past experiences, we tend to delay committing to a new version of the product for many months until we think the kinks have been worked out.  It's useful to learn about which issues have been resolved and which still exist.  It is also useful to learn about any new issues that appear.

I don't know why the OP thought these specific existing issues would be resolved in Quicken 2018 but I've been told more than once that an issue will be resolved in the next version.  I've learned that only means that the issue won't be addressed in the current version.

My fear with the new model is that going forward there will only be one version and we'll be expected to stay current on that version.  Most of the software products I use have two maintained versions, one is "stable" and the other is for "early adopters".

Interestingly, this year was the first time I didn't upgrade.  I've stayed with Quicken 2016 because Quicken 2017 has not felt like a "stable" version to me and I don't think there was a significant improvement in the features I care about.  In fact, IMO, Quicken 2017 is worse than Quicken 2016.  It's important to acknowledge that we do use Quicken differently and features that may be significant to me may not be as significant to you so I'm fine with us having differing opinions.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • DBDB Member
    edited December 2018
    @Snowman, or anyone, please explain these bugs:

Alt-Tab bug still present,
    click through bug still present,
    print checks dialog bugs still present,
    save reports bug still present,
    the drop down menu bug still present and 
    you will lose your printer preferences and will have to redo those as well.

I have not had any issues since I installed the newest release (Windows Premier) yesterday.  Its disconcerting to hear super users complain about the new release.

Thanks!
    edited October 2017
    DB said:

I have not had any issues since I installed the newest release (Windows Premier) yesterday.  Its disconcerting to hear super users complain about the new release.

Thanks!

Click through bug:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...
    edited October 2017
    DB said:

Thanks!

1)  The ALT-Tab bug (a basic windows function) does not work.  You can see it if for example you open a PDF file of say a bank statement.  Open Quicken and select a register, it does not matter if it is a bank account or investment account, put the cursor in say the payee field, now press ALT-Tab to give focus to the PDF statement.  Now press Alt-Tab again to put the focus back on Quicken.  The cursor will no longer be where you left it.

2)  The click-through bug happens most often when you have a register open and you click File >  Backup and Restore and when you click to either Backup or Restore the file that menu will be above the date and payee columns in the underlying register and depending upon where you click the Backup or Restore option it will resort the register underneath.  The workaround is to put a Backup shortcut and a Restore shortcut on the Quicken toolbar.

3)  The print checks dialog works (or doesn't work as the case may be) when I select the Print Checks shortcut that I have put on the Quicken toolbar.  In the dialog if I select Checks dated through:  xx/xx/xxxx the display will say that you have not selected any checks to print when in fact there are checks to print.

4)  Save reports.  I have several dozen customized budget vs actual reports.  When I open one of them all of the subcategories are listed.  I can go through and close all of the subcategories and then I want to save the report as is.  I click the save report icon and in the Report field it has added a 1 to the report name even though I have the preference set to write to the existing file.  Also the report is located in a directory called "Monthly Budget Reports" but when you look in the "saved in" field it defaults to My Saved Reports so you have to reselect the Monthly Budget Reports.  After going thru all of this you click OK to hopefully save the report which it doesn't because if you reopen the report all of the subcategories are again listed as the report was originally.  This would be like taking a Word document, changing the font, saving it and when you reopen the Word document the font is back to the original before you saved it.

5)  The drop down menu bug will occur when you click say reports and go through the menus it will prematurely close.  Another BASIC WINDOWS function that does not work properly.

6)  Finally I had Quicken set up to print checks from a printer tray that contained my customized checks.  When I installed Quicken 2018 those were gone.  It took 30 minutes to get it working again.  When I went from Q2013 to Q2014 to Q2015 to Q2016 to Q2017 this was not an issue.

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Fixing old bugs is a perennial topic that has been ignored/assigned low priority for as long as I have been using Quicken. It's not likely to change because Quicken does not generally devote resources to working on those old bugs. They are too busy fixing bugs associated with new features and conflicts between Windows and antiquated coding. The post below is 7 months old. Not sure if any of the legacy bugs listed have been resolved.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/make-fixing-existing-bugs-a-priority-top-10-lega...
    edited December 2018

@Nordin Ka "gets it".  "One should be able to feel the frustration of person who purchase with hope and lastly found it's not as what he/she expected
    Give room for the comment as a way of delivering the feel, and if need to, object with respect."

The only way to get Quicken to sit up and take notice is hit them in the pocketbook.   The intent of my post was to 1) let it be know that I was hoping for the best but was once again disappointed and frustrated. 2) Warn those thinking that this version was going to be an incremental improvement to previous versions that it is not.

It is not that there is no excuse that I would accept, there is no excuse that anyone should accept.  I have participated in the Beta testing etc. and I just really hoped that this year would be different.  To charge more money for the same program, bugs and all,  is something the no on should stand for.  Now if they would provide a list of know issues that one could see before purchasing that would be nice but we all know why that will never happen and that is because the list would be very long and then nobody would buy it.  The message I want to convey is DO NOT BUY QUICKEN 2018, hit them in the pocketbook,  until some real progress is make in addressing these basic issues.  I sure there are "pet peeves" everyone has.

I only want a quality program free from these basic usability issues several of which are basic windows functions.  (Alt-Tab, click through)  If asked my opinion of whether to buy or not,  my answer at this point would be NO.  As the quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail goes... RUN AWAY!!!  ;-)

edited October 2017
    Snowman said:

@Nordin Ka "gets it".  "One should be able to feel the frustration of person who purchase with hope and lastly found it's not as what he/she expected
    Give room for the comment as a way of delivering the feel, and if need to, object with respect."

The only way to get Quicken to sit up and take notice is hit them in the pocketbook.   The intent of my post was to 1) let it be know that I was hoping for the best but was once again disappointed and frustrated. 2) Warn those thinking that this version was going to be an incremental improvement to previous versions that it is not.

It is not that there is no excuse that I would accept, there is no excuse that anyone should accept.  I have participated in the Beta testing etc. and I just really hoped that this year would be different.  To charge more money for the same program, bugs and all,  is something the no on should stand for.  Now if they would provide a list of know issues that one could see before purchasing that would be nice but we all know why that will never happen and that is because the list would be very long and then nobody would buy it.  The message I want to convey is DO NOT BUY QUICKEN 2018, hit them in the pocketbook,  until some real progress is make in addressing these basic issues.  I sure there are "pet peeves" everyone has.

I only want a quality program free from these basic usability issues several of which are basic windows functions.  (Alt-Tab, click through)  If asked my opinion of whether to buy or not,  my answer at this point would be NO.  As the quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail goes... RUN AWAY!!!  ;-)

I don't think anyone said you can't convey your feelings/frustration. What you shouldn't do is violate the TOS for the site.