Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Options

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options

So far, so good using Premier; I really like some of the improvements. Since you asked for bugs I have a trivial one... In the portfolio view of investment accounts, there is the ability to sort securities by whichever columns you have shown. The issue is, when sorting by anything other than the name, it sorts the "Total" line with it, which more often than not puts it somewhere in the middle. 

So if you were to sort by symbol for example, it ends up like this:

ABC $100
    TOTAL $175
    XYZ $75

Certainly a minor issue, but annoying enough that I thought I'd let you know! :) 

Cary, please also report the column width issue via the menu Help > Report a Problem to make sure the developers are aware of it.

Regarding the size of the graph, you can adjust it by dragging its bottom border (small dot) up or down. Unfortunately, that does is not sticky either. If you drag it all the way up, the graph will be collapsed and fortunately, it does remember that (which also greatly speeds up opening of the portfolio window).
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Question (I searched but could not find this, so I apologize if it has been asked before)
    Can we install 2018 and leave the 2017 version intact and usable?  Does it use the same file or will I need to update each separately to keep accounts current?  I'd like to upgrade, but am cautious about a new release (of any software), and I don't usually do so until all the bugs have been worked out.  I switched from the Windows version (via Crossover) when I went to Mac 2017...and although there are a lot of things I miss from Windows, it seems to be fairly stable at this point.  Thanks.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Jennifer Dyson,

I have done what you asked about. Quicken 2018 on macOS uses the file suffix .quicken on database while 2017 uses .quicken2017. Likewise the program application files are Quicken 2017 and just Quicken.

The installation of Quicken (2018) copies your 2017 file and leaves it available.

I am running Quicken 2017 Mac and Quicken (2018) Mac concurrently to make sure nothing is lost or unrecorded prior to doing 2017 Tax returns.  For me, so far there have been no show stopper issues. You do have to run each if you want to keep both current since they have separate database files.

I switched from Quicken for Windows (in a Windows 7 virtual machine on Mac) to Quicken for Mac 2015.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am adding my frustrations to the mix as I just downloaded Quicken Premier 2018 for Mac. I am a long time PC Quicken user and have been using since 1997. I tried Chatting this morning and after an hour gave up. I got the 2018 version to download and I paid for it, but then it got hung up with investments so I have to Force it to close. When I opened it back up the data was there and correct so I thought everything was okay until I tried to download my investment and banking info and couldn't because it said my passwords were incorrect. I have tried to do this manually, but no luck in changing it from the the Direct Connect. Help.

Kathy
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    KGoodson said:

I am adding my frustrations to the mix as I just downloaded Quicken Premier 2018 for Mac. I am a long time PC Quicken user and have been using since 1997. I tried Chatting this morning and after an hour gave up. I got the 2018 version to download and I paid for it, but then it got hung up with investments so I have to Force it to close. When I opened it back up the data was there and correct so I thought everything was okay until I tried to download my investment and banking info and couldn't because it said my passwords were incorrect. I have tried to do this manually, but no luck in changing it from the the Direct Connect. Help.

Kathy

I just changed from PC to MAC so there is also a learning curve there.

Kathy
  • brucel
    brucel Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

FYI, the Quicken for macOS Engineering team recently followed-up - they are aware of the Portfolio View performance issue and are actively investigating and evaluating options with the goal to resolve the issue quickly (i.e.. several weeks, not several months).  This is a welcomed sign that the Quicken.com team is a bit more serious and dedicated to Quicken for macOS.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

@Jennifer Dyson,

I have done what you asked about. Quicken 2018 on macOS uses the file suffix .quicken on database while 2017 uses .quicken2017. Likewise the program application files are Quicken 2017 and just Quicken.

The installation of Quicken (2018) copies your 2017 file and leaves it available.

I am running Quicken 2017 Mac and Quicken (2018) Mac concurrently to make sure nothing is lost or unrecorded prior to doing 2017 Tax returns.  For me, so far there have been no show stopper issues. You do have to run each if you want to keep both current since they have separate database files.

I switched from Quicken for Windows (in a Windows 7 virtual machine on Mac) to Quicken for Mac 2015.

Thank you!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

@Jennifer Dyson,

The issue will be when update to QM2018 come, and into next year, QM2019, etc...all will have the same app name. As it stands now, you will not be able to run the versions at the same time. Even more, you cannot run 2 updates of the same "version", e.g. 5.2 and 5.3, etc...

You can add your VOTE to  Maintain ability to run 2 copies of Quicken for Mac simultaneously.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data and File Management Features and the List of Miscellaneous Requests. Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I apologize if this question has already been answered.  Initially when I added eBills, everything looked fine.  However, late yesterday evening, I discovered that for each eBill, the amount due is the full statement balance opposed to the min. amount required each month.  e.g. I pay my insurance premium monthly.  The total policy balance is upwards of $700.00 which is what is showing due on 11/20.  However, the minimum payment required is only $180.

I deleted and re-add several eBills which appears to have created an additional problem.  When I attempt to add eBills back, Quicken appears to recognize that the account is still enrolled to receive eBills.  After clicking through, the payment reminder is displayed under the Manual Payments section opposed to EBills.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm having a filter issue with 2018 v5.2.2 in the Bills & Income section.  The account filter does not persist when moving between tabs or other areas of Quicken, then returning to Bills / Projected Balances.  

Example: Select Projected Balances, and set the filter to say: 90 days, Main Checking, Any Type.  Move to Home tab, move back to Bills/Projected Balances.  The '90 days' and 'Any Type' sticks, but the account filter keeps resetting to All Cash Accounts.  This behavior is new for 2018 - in older versions the filter was persistent as you would expect.  Seems to be a bug.

Thanks!
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Possible bug-->When I am entering a transaction and wish to create a new category/subcategory on the fly (using the "Create New Category "Name" in the drop down list) ... it does not work.  I click on it and it just goes away, but it does not do anything.  If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be another dialog box that opens for you to put in the details and then to accept.  I had to go in and manually edit the list to add the new category.  
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    Options

I'm having a filter issue with 2018 v5.2.2 in the Bills & Income section.  The account filter does not persist when moving between tabs or other areas of Quicken, then returning to Bills / Projected Balances.  

Example: Select Projected Balances, and set the filter to say: 90 days, Main Checking, Any Type.  Move to Home tab, move back to Bills/Projected Balances.  The '90 days' and 'Any Type' sticks, but the account filter keeps resetting to All Cash Accounts.  This behavior is new for 2018 - in older versions the filter was persistent as you would expect.  Seems to be a bug.

Thanks!

@Jeff... I concur, I see the same behavior. It may be by design (so you don't forget you have only one account filtered). But in any case, very little chance your report is going to get noticed buried here in this long thread now. I would suggest you report it via the Help menu > Report a Problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks!

It did seem strange to post here, but was following the crowd.  :) Thanks for the confirmation and redirect, @RickO.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Jen said:

Possible bug-->When I am entering a transaction and wish to create a new category/subcategory on the fly (using the "Create New Category "Name" in the drop down list) ... it does not work.  I click on it and it just goes away, but it does not do anything.  If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be another dialog box that opens for you to put in the details and then to accept.  I had to go in and manually edit the list to add the new category.  

Are you sure it doesn't do anything? When I try this, it leaves whatever you typed in the category field and moves on to the next column. The "whatever you typed" has now become a new category that can be edited in the Category window if desired. 

However, you have to have typed something that is new/unique. If you have typed something that is matching an already existing category, the Create New Category will show that already existing category and so essentially do nothing (except enter it in the column. 

For example, if you already have a category "Utilities", and you type U-T-I-L in the field, Quicken will pre-fill UTILities in the field and show the option "Create New Category: Utilities". If you select that option, Utilities will get put into the field and no new category is created. If you are trying to create a new category called "Util", then you need to hit the delete key after Quicken pre-fills Utilities to that only "Util" remains in the field, and THEN select Create New Category.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Jen said:

It does just leave whatever I typed in the field, but doesn't create anything new.  I had to go into Categories and add it manually and set the conditions (tax flag).
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    J. Holmes said:

I apologize if this question has already been answered.  Initially when I added eBills, everything looked fine.  However, late yesterday evening, I discovered that for each eBill, the amount due is the full statement balance opposed to the min. amount required each month.  e.g. I pay my insurance premium monthly.  The total policy balance is upwards of $700.00 which is what is showing due on 11/20.  However, the minimum payment required is only $180.

I deleted and re-add several eBills which appears to have created an additional problem.  When I attempt to add eBills back, Quicken appears to recognize that the account is still enrolled to receive eBills.  After clicking through, the payment reminder is displayed under the Manual Payments section opposed to EBills.

I think the eBill portion really needs some help.  There is no way that I can see to edit them once they are in there with the exception of changing the frequency.  I can't change the Payee or any of the fields that were initially filled out.

And when I tried to add a VISA card from my credit union...even though I selected only the VISA card from the list of accounts presented, it actually added two eBills - one to my Checking Account and one to my VISA...but both were identical.  When I tried to delete just the Checking Account one...they were both deleted.  SIGH...skipping that one for now....

Also...it appears that the PDF is not actually downloaded and attached within the data file.  When I click on it, it goes out to a window and says "searching billers from Cloud" and then I get an option to download....and it opens a browser window to do so.  I would have expected it to just open up and be viewable with the program with an option to save off separately.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    J. Holmes said:

And the Income tab under Bills & Income doesn't even make any sense.  It is actually pulling some of the ones from Bills and listing as Income.  There isn't even a way to designate something as an income entry (there is no +income).  And I suspect if I delete them from this tab...they will also disappear from the proper bill tab.  So far...this whole feature doesn't seem very useful to me.
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    J. Holmes said:

I think the main thing they were trying to accomplish is for quicken to be able to receive and interpret bills from various vendors/service suppliers.
    At any rate the current usability and design does need some work. It is not very intuitive and seems to cause more questions then actually being helpful.
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Does this report enhancement mean that we might see reports with tag support by column, similar to Q2007 class reports?
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jsurpless said:

Does this report enhancement mean that we might see reports with tag support by column, similar to Q2007 class reports?

Not yet.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jsurpless said:

One of the most important ones I am waiting for...you may want to add your vote for Columnar report (with selectable choices for rows and columns).

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, I highly recommend you to add your VOTES to related IDEAS found on the: Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

For background, you may want to read this post too.

Note too that QM2018 does not support sub-classes..they get converted to regular tags, so you lose a level of refinement and organization too. And if you need to clean them up in QM2018, it is very challenging if you have them on split lines because the batch editor does not handle split transactions. For that, You can add your VOTE to Improve Batch Editing to include changing Split transactions.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Is Amazon's 2-year subscription with benefits (slightly lower per-year price and 15GB of Dropbox) really only available on CD/DVD?  I haven't owned a optical drive in years.

Say I get the 2-year subscription from Amazon/Staples/etc, what are my options when it ends? Can I buy from them again (assuming that they have similar offering)?
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Is Amazon's 2-year subscription with benefits (slightly lower per-year price and 15GB of Dropbox) really only available on CD/DVD?  I haven't owned a optical drive in years.

Say I get the 2-year subscription from Amazon/Staples/etc, what are my options when it ends? Can I buy from them again (assuming that they have similar offering)?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options

@jsurpless: I don't think anyone can say with certainty what the landscape will look like two years from now. Some users on this site are cynical and think Quicken is will cut out the retailers and jack up the rates after they get people hooked on a subscription. I think it's pretty unlikely for them to eliminate sales via retail channels, which give them far more visibility than they would have selling only via their own website. Will the prices be the same or higher? No one can say -- and probably Quicken doesn't even know for sure at this point, as they need to see whether subscription sales track according to their internal predictions or not.

Assuming the sales model continues to be similar to today, then the answer to your question is likely to be yes. If your subscription is set to not auto-renew, you'll be able to buy via a retail site and get a subscription code; you'll log onto your Quicken account and enter the code; it will extend your subscription by the length of the package you purchased.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks for the insight
  • Mira Shnier
    Mira Shnier Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

Jacobs, you state " if you purchase a Quicken 2018 subscription, you get the option to download and use both the Mac and Windows version. "  Do you know if that applies to the Quicken 2018 Deluxe for CANADA?  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I need to bulk edit multiple entries, changing the transfer entry. Is this possible in mac '18
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Bill gs said:

I need to bulk edit multiple entries, changing the transfer entry. Is this possible in mac '18

Go to the register where the transactions reside , in the search box in the upper right corner enter for ex the Payee, this should bring up the total number of payees, then select all which will highlight all the transactions then edit the selected transactions a box opens allowing you to modify the transactions
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Bill gs said:

In previous (2015) version, you could only edit payee, category and tag. I need to edit transfer column. Can you now do this?

TIA!
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Bill gs said:

I believe you can..
This discussion has been closed.