Quicken for Windows 2018 Bill View

What happened to the "stack" view for bills in Quicken 2018?

Comments

• Andrew DumontAndrew Dumont Member
    edited October 2018
    Seriously. Also, who thought it was a good idea to put bills and income/transfers in two separate tabs? So now I have to go to two places to see what I used to see in one consolidated view? And I can't see one set of that information in the same format as the other? Not sure who made that decision, but it was a terrible one.
  • MARCUS REEDMARCUS REED Member
    edited April 2018
    I agree.  They should be available under the same tab so you can track ALL of your monthly transactions in one place.  Plus, the ability to "stack" the bills is gone?  Different tabs, different format, not a good change.
  • David GrayDavid Gray Member
    edited October 2017

Seriously. Also, who thought it was a good idea to put bills and income/transfers in two separate tabs? So now I have to go to two places to see what I used to see in one consolidated view? And I can't see one set of that information in the same format as the other? Not sure who made that decision, but it was a terrible one.

Seriously!  This is a major step backwards in functionality.  Being able to see all income and bill transactions in a single window is hugely important.  QUICKEN, RESTORE THIS FUNCTIONALITY!!!
  • RocRoc Member
    edited October 2018
    I totally agree... big time!!! This "new" Bill window is absolutely horrible! Just more scrolling and clicking. The fonts and icons are terrible - taking up more space which leads to scrolling. I hope it goes back to the way it was. Also now multiple windows... are you kidding me!!! I have no confidence that I'm seeing my money flow as desired. That's what made the one window great with all transaction available on one window. CASH FLOW!!! Transferring money and paying bills need to be on one screen!
  • edited November 2017
    Roc said:

I totally agree... big time!!! This "new" Bill window is absolutely horrible! Just more scrolling and clicking. The fonts and icons are terrible - taking up more space which leads to scrolling. I hope it goes back to the way it was. Also now multiple windows... are you kidding me!!! I have no confidence that I'm seeing my money flow as desired. That's what made the one window great with all transaction available on one window. CASH FLOW!!! Transferring money and paying bills need to be on one screen!

I talked to them Tuesday and again today.  They are aware of the problem and have replicated it on their computers.  The problem has been escalated and will be corrected,  Check "Help" - "Updates" each day you open the program and the fix will be there in the future.  Timeframe?  In the meantime, on the "Bills and Income" tab select "Calendar" and then near the bottom and on the far right select "Full Calendar"  All of your bills, etc will show there and you can execute them from there.  Not very convenient but it works until the fix is done.
  • Gary PassonGary Passon Member
    edited October 2018
    I want the old linear calendar view of my upcoming bills from 2017 back... The current views are a horrible change. I agree that bills and transfers could / should be shown in one window. Did no Beta tester pick up on this???
  • edited January 2018
    As I said, when they fix it, it will be back the way it was where you can see the all bills, etc "stacked" or linear as you call it.
  • DBDB Member
    edited September 2018
    I think they made this change to accommodate their Online Bills users.  One possible workaround would be to click on the "Manage Manual Bills and Income" tab in the upper right had corner to see all of your bills, Income & Transfers all in one place.  You can post your transactions from there.image
  • Gary PassonGary Passon Member
    edited April 2018
    Not sure why the online folks would like this. I do all my bill paying online with Quicken and the old view was just so much easier to follow than just these new tables down a page. they are even worse on a mobile device... Seems like the human factors folks missed this one big time!   Used to be one rule of software was not to lose something (a view, a tool, a report, etc) unless there was a significant reason to do that. It just frustrates long time customers for no apparent reason.
  • fanfarefanfare Member
    edited December 2017

I want the old linear calendar view of my upcoming bills from 2017 back... The current views are a horrible change. I agree that bills and transfers could / should be shown in one window. Did no Beta tester pick up on this???

"Did no Beta tester pick up on this???" Of course. We can't state the response due to non-disclosure agreement.
  • edited October 2018
    In my lengthy discussions with the upper tech folks, I was assured this was a mistake that should not have happened, but did.  It was not a planned changed, and it is going to be fixed to put it back like V 2017 was.  Sometimes mistakes happen and are just not caught in time, and maybe they pushed the 2018 version too fast.  I am retired IT and programmer, and I can tell you that even as hard as we worked, sometimes we made mistakes - only human.  We didn't like it when we did make a mistake, but we would get it corrected and move on.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

In my lengthy discussions with the upper tech folks, I was assured this was a mistake that should not have happened, but did.  It was not a planned changed, and it is going to be fixed to put it back like V 2017 was.  Sometimes mistakes happen and are just not caught in time, and maybe they pushed the 2018 version too fast.  I am retired IT and programmer, and I can tell you that even as hard as we worked, sometimes we made mistakes - only human.  We didn't like it when we did make a mistake, but we would get it corrected and move on.

When I look at this I definitely think it was a mistake, but I'm lean towards a "design mistake" or at least a communication problem.  As in they really didn't think out the impacts, and wasn't until the users point out what negative impact it has that became a "mistake".

Mind you I base that on some that is fairly "flimsy", but something that made me think the code was changed on purpose.

In Quicken 2017 the View names:
    Online Bills, Bill Reminders, Projected Balances

In Quicken 2018 the View names:
    Bills, Income & Transfers, Projected Balance

Now dropping "Online" from Online Bills makes perfect sense because they are going for a consolidation of both the Online Bills and the "manual" Bills (reminders).

And then you get to the change "Bill Reminders" to "Income & Transfers".

And all of a sudden the Stacked, List, Calendar, and Monthly List that are under "Income & Transfers" have only income and transfer reminders in them?

What kind "simple accident" in code can change all of those views?

I think at least the people that were doing this coding were under the impression that they were suppose to remove the bill reminders from those views.

But I'm happy to see that the new Quicken Inc can admit to a mistake and reverse it.
    It is a good sign.
  • ThomasThomas Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes this should be fixed  do not know why they remove things that work 
  • Don AwaltDon Awalt Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If I click on "Manage Manual Bills and Income", what comes up in a maximized window is what I used to see when I clicked on "Bills" - I use it to see what is coming, and for bills that are paid automatically, I can then 'Skip' this month. What makes this even more aggravating, is the window comes up every time maximized, and even if I click to get out of that, there is a huge window that doesn't remember how I resized it last time. I really hope we get the ability to see the list of bills in a panel like with 2017. This is terrible.
  • jcgrubejcgrube Member
    edited April 2018
    I simply want the stack view to include EVERYTHING. Bills, Income, Transfers - like it used to be. I HOPE they fix this in a patch. I don't want to go through 3 tabs to make sure I have everything covered.
    edited October 2018
    Glad to hear that they are on this and a fix is in the works.  Hard to imagine they would have programmed such a change intentionally, since it is obviously not a plus from the user perspective.
  • fanfarefanfare Member
    edited April 2018

Glad to hear that they are on this and a fix is in the works.  Hard to imagine they would have programmed such a change intentionally, since it is obviously not a plus from the user perspective.

As far as I know, programming a change unintentionally is an oxymoron.
    This is not a bug.
  • edited April 2018
    Another thing missing is you can't sort your bills by which account they are paid from anymore.  I really dislike that.  I used that feature all the time.  Say I want to see upcoming bills for my PayPal account, as far as I can tell in 2018 there is no way to see that.  The bills are all lumped together, and not only can it not be sorted by the associated account you cant even see the associated account!  The only way to know which account pays which bill is to click on each bill and edit the series to take a look.  Anyway, I'm throwing in my two cents, please put it back to the way it was.  Otherwise I'm pretty happy with 2018, I haven't had any problems.
  • drew2udrew2u Member
    edited October 2018
    Glad to hear they will fix this view of bills and income.  Since this is related to bills and this thread has some traction, does anyone know where you download the PDFs in Quicken Windows Deluxe 2018? 

I wasn't even sure if this was possible, but the box states it is, yet I can't find where to do it...  (I had started a thread here about it: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/does-quicken-2018-for-windows-include-free-bill-...)

I linked multiple bills and it's showing me due dates, but the option to download a PDF bill is no where I can see...
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    drew2u said:

Glad to hear they will fix this view of bills and income.  Since this is related to bills and this thread has some traction, does anyone know where you download the PDFs in Quicken Windows Deluxe 2018? 

I wasn't even sure if this was possible, but the box states it is, yet I can't find where to do it...  (I had started a thread here about it: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/does-quicken-2018-for-windows-include-free-bill-...)

I linked multiple bills and it's showing me due dates, but the option to download a PDF bill is no where I can see...

I have answered about this in other threads, but I will put an answer in your above thread.
  • kvwilsonkvwilson Member
    edited October 2018
    So is there no way to bring up the bills stack?  I actually had it while reading this thread but it disappeared again after leaving that page.  Also, if they are fixing things, how about going farther than 30 days?
  • drew2udrew2u Member
    edited October 2017
    drew2u said:

Thanks QPW!
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    kvwilson said:

So is there no way to bring up the bills stack?  I actually had it while reading this thread but it disappeared again after leaving that page.  Also, if they are fixing things, how about going farther than 30 days?

The "stack view" is still available, but it is for "reminders" not online bills (note Online Bills view name changed to just Bills).

You will find it under:
    BILLS & INCOME -> Income & Transfers -> View by: Stack

The problem described in this thread is that the reminders shown under Income &Transfers are no longer showing bill reminders, only income and transfer reminders.
    edited October 2017
    kvwilson said:

Yeah, after trying online bills last year, I'm done with that. I meant bill remiinders
    edited October 2017
    kvwilson said:

And when I go to BILLS & INCOME -> Income & Transfers -> View by: Stack

I only see income transactions... like most of this thread, I don't see my outflows (bills, reminders, whatever).  Since I actually did see a stack of bills briefly today while I was poking around, I hoped there is a super secret backdoor way to get that back.  I live by my bill stack.  Income is good too, but I want my bills back.

edited October 2018
    They really need to fix this pronto.  I just did a backup and when the program was finished doing the backup virtually everything was missing from the Bills & Income monthly screen.  This is a massive issue.  Is there a way for us to revert to the 2017 for Windows version until they get this fixed?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

They really need to fix this pronto.  I just did a backup and when the program was finished doing the backup virtually everything was missing from the Bills & Income monthly screen.  This is a massive issue.  Is there a way for us to revert to the 2017 for Windows version until they get this fixed?

Is there a way for us to revert to the 2017 for Windows version until they get this fixed?
    Yes, just uninstall Quicken 2018, and then reinstall Quicken 2017.
    Quicken 2017 can read a data file that Quicken 2018 has written to.
    edited November 2017

Thanks.  I did exactly that last night and am glad that I did.  Order has been restored to the universe (or at least to my Bills & Income universe!).  I'll track this site and wait for Quicken to get 2018's issues sorted out before re-installing it.
  • ProGolferProGolfer Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017

Like somewhere around April 30, 2020...when your Quicken 2017 version will terminate downloading and support capabilities.

No need to rush into a product that has very obvious issues with it...and pay for a shorter "life span" on top of that.  
  • Andrew AngellAndrew Angell Member
    edited September 2018
    Just stepping in here because I've just been hit with this rather unwelcome problem, too.  

Hoping that this "mistake" does get fixed soon.  To me it doesn't look like a mistake, though, other than bad planning.  They've obviously separated "Bills" from "Income & Transfers", so it makes sense based on what they did that bills no longer show up under "Income & Transfers" but to completely remove the ability to see both together via Stacks or Calendars is a big step backwards.

So now they're getting the feedback and are apparently willing to adjust, which is good to hear.  What they've done sort of makes it difficult, though.  Are they simply going to add Bill Reminders back into the "Income & Transfers" section where it doesn't really belong with this new design/layout?  Or are they going to rename it something like "Income, Expenses, and Transfers"?

It's fine to have this new Bills section where you setup the bills and link them, etc. but I'm curious how they're going to add this back the way it was without adding confusion to what they've done with the layout.

Hope it happens soon!