Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QMac 2018: Cannot create a transfer transaction from a brokerage account to a checking account.

Rob
Rob Member ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Quicken Mac 2018.  Transferred $1000 from a brokerage account to my checking account. Entered it as a manual transaction. Categorized it as a transfer. All good. Hit save. Transaction is saved as uncategorized. Attempt again by repeating process. Will not save as anything but uncategorized. Corresponds to my other problem about saving a transfer within the "brokerage" space. GET IT TOGETHER QUICKEN. This is a waste of my time.

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Have you chosen to show the "Transfer" column so that you can enter the corresponding Account name there to indicate this transaction is a transfer? Then, you can use whatever category you want, or leave simply leave it uncategorized.
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Helpful tip, thank you. Seems to help from within the banking area. Does not solve my problem of transferring in the investing area though.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    What works for me. Create a new transaction in the brokerage account with the following fields: Type=Payment/Deposit, Security/Payee=My Bank Name, Description=Transfer:[My Checking Account], Cash Out=transfer amount. When this transaction is saved a new transaction is created in the checking account with the correct data and a category = Transfer:[My Brokerage Account].
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks. I'm able to get it to work between a "Banking" account and an "Investing" account, as you describe, but there's another half to the problem. Are you able to make it work between two "Investing" accounts? I am not.
  • John_in_NC
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

Thanks. I'm able to get it to work between a "Banking" account and an "Investing" account, as you describe, but there's another half to the problem. Are you able to make it work between two "Investing" accounts? I am not.

I don't have a problem doing that in 2017 or the betas or 2018. But, I don't have the shipping release as of yet to confirm. You also mentioned a filter bug (not showing in the filtered view). Some people have mentioned this, but I don't know of any regular who has seen that. The usual culprits are filters applied (you said you had none), search criteria entered in the search box, or accidentally making this a scheduled transaction and the instance is well into the future past when the register will be looking.
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

Thanks for your response.

Did another test transaction between two brokerage accounts to make sure I wasn't committing a common error. I got the same problem as initially reported.

Filters are:  All Dates / Any Type / Any Status
    Search Box:  Search All Visible Columns
    Date: 2 days ago

Transaction disappears.
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

Have you chosen to show the "Transfer" column so that you can enter the corresponding Account name there to indicate this transaction is a transfer? Then, you can use whatever category you want, or leave simply leave it uncategorized.

I should note that I am unable to change the "Description" of the transfer from the receiving account. I could set it again and again to "Transfer [account]" but it reverts the value upon save. I was able to edit it from the sending account.

I could probably spend 10 minutes troubleshooting exactly which circumstances work or not, but isn't that what I'm paying Quicken to do? I'm happy to report the occasional bug, but when I notice multiple problems within minutes of a new release, it just leaves me feeling like the old Intuit days, when I decided to abandon the product.
  • John_in_NC
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

I just tried with 2018, and I have no issues transferring between investment accounts. Is there a way you can share a screenshot (redacting any personal information if needed) to show how the transaction in question is setup?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

@Rob.. are you getting the dreaded "this transaction not shown in this filtered view" message? Seems like that's been cropping up lately and is more than just user error. I think it may have to do with particular corruption or transactions in the database. Hopefully people are reporting this to Quicken so it can get fixed.

In the mean time, try creating a Misc Expense transaction without the transfer. Get that one saved. Then put in the transfer and change it to payment/deposit. I think someone reported that workaround helping. Or try creating the transaction from the checking account side.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

@John in NC - I took a screenshot to show how my transaction was setup, and am attaching it below. Once I click save, I get the dreaded "this transaction not shown in this filtered view" message that RickO mentions. The same thing happens whether or not it is categorized to be a transfer to a checking account, or a payment expense that is simply categorized.

So how do I report this to Quicken so it can get fixed? I attempted to get staff to look at some of my posts on this forum, to no avail, and Quicken chat support with other problems has left me... er... not quite confident that that really solves anything either. Any other channels available? If I have to pay for premium support to report bugs in software that I already paid for, that might be the tipping point for me leaving Quicken (again). So disappointing.imageimage
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

Phone support is the best way to report it. Do you have QM18 Premier? If so, premium support is included. 

Another option is the Quicken menu Help > Report a Problem, but you are not likely to get feedback this way.

Reporting it here on the forum is unlikely to get the attention of Quicken employees.

The nuclear option to try fix this is to export your database to to QXF, Window Transfer Format and then import that file into a fresh empty database. The downside is you will lose most all customizations, memorized reports and have to relink accounts. But you could try it and see if it fixes the issue before deciding to use the new database going forward.

Other things I can think to try would be create the transfer from the checking account instead. Create the transaction without transfer and leave uncategorized then edit later. Basically try all kinds of things to see if you can get it to stick and then edit later. Might narrow down what parameter is associated with the issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

Thanks @Rick0. I was already aware of the nuclear option, and I just completed that migration.

In my fresh 2018 file, I have relinked all my bank accounts. It has duplicated all of my downloads, the way it was doing in my first 2018 file that I just left. It also repeats the dreaded transaction filtered view problem.

I am abandoning 2018, and will ask for a refund. Then, in a few months, when Quicken and the users that pay for the privelege of beta testing buggy new releases early 2018 adopters have fixed these problems I may return.

I am disappointed in a very big way. I fought with Quicken for years when it was Intuit and then left when it was too bad. I was so excited that the new management would deliver more stable products and have been an eager advocate for the last year and a half.
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

And to add insult to injury... their website spits you out repeatedly when trying to upload the required files for requesting a refund. And you cannot turn off auto-renew without calling them from m-f 9-5 pacific time.

Who wants to be treated like a child by a company that requests all of my financial data to use the product I pay for? This is absolutely insulting and is the fastest way a company can create an enemy in me.image.
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Rob said:

I successfully got my refund for QMac2018 processed. I remain distrustful towards Quicken, but am grateful for the users trying to help everybody on this forum. Thanks especially to @RickO and @John in NC for your help.