Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken Mac 2017 dividend handling

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I have had to manually enter my investment transactions as my FI, until recently, did not work with QMac.  I enter the purchase as a buy.  When the fund pays a dividend, I use reinvest dividend as the option.  When I look at the Portfolio Value the total gain/ loss column does not accurately reflect the real returns on the investment.  For example, I have a mutual fund, PAUDX, that I have the dividends reinvested in a Roth IRA.  QMac 2017 shows that I have a $544.25 or -4.03% loss in the fund.  If I went by Quicken's results, I would think this was a bum investment.  If I look at the reports available from the FI, they show that with reinvested dividends included, I had a $1,048.02 gain on my initial investment.  The following link explains how a mutual fund reacts when dividends are made.  I would think this is how QMac should handle the reporting of gains and losses when dividends are concerned.  Not sure if QMac 2018 will handle it differently...

http://bit.ly/2y6Nbhs

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Did you have cash in the account originally when you make your "Buy" transaction?  

Has the price decreased proportionately when you received the dividends?

Because I don't see what you're seeing in my Quicken Mac 2017.  
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    QM should  show the increase in Share quantity as a result of the dividends reinvested , there should not be any impact to the account cash balance. QM as we know doesn't do a good job on ROI/IRR as it relates to dividends, It treats the compounding transaction as an expense.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    I had to use placeholders when I set up the accounts as some transactions dated back to 2003.  I did not have a record of all the transactions to start from scratch.  I do see the increase in shares and a reduction in the price.  As Concordman said, there is no cash involved in the transaction.  
This discussion has been closed.