Quicken 2018 Investment Register

There is still no way to adjust the fonts in the investment register as we can in the banking register.  This is a needed feature.  Changing to Large fonts affects far more than needed with other options.  Need a way to enchance the contrast and or font's in this register, just like the ability in banking register.  
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited January 2018
    Excellent suggestion.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • StanStan Member
    edited November 2018
    Why is the Investment Register different? Quicken 2018 allows you to select the register font size in the Edit>>Preferences menu, and this works works for Banking registers and Property&Debt registers, but the font preference doesn't work for Investment registers!!

Also, has the text in the Accounts side bar just got smaller in 2018? With 66 year old eyes I need slightly larger text (10pt instead of 9pt) and a little bit more contrast. Why isn't there a font size preference for the Accounts side bar?

Quicken: clearly this has been an issue since at least 2017 (I don't think it was a issue in 2016). When are you going to fix this?
    edited November 2017
    Stan said:

Why is the Investment Register different? Quicken 2018 allows you to select the register font size in the Edit>>Preferences menu, and this works works for Banking registers and Property&Debt registers, but the font preference doesn't work for Investment registers!!

Also, has the text in the Accounts side bar just got smaller in 2018? With 66 year old eyes I need slightly larger text (10pt instead of 9pt) and a little bit more contrast. Why isn't there a font size preference for the Accounts side bar?

Quicken: clearly this has been an issue since at least 2017 (I don't think it was a issue in 2016). When are you going to fix this?

From C. D. Bales:

"Why is the Investment Register different?"

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...
  • StanStan Member
    edited November 2018
    Stan said:

Semantics. I don't care whether an investment "register" is not a "register". The user still needs to be able to adjust the size of the font so that it is readable - just like with a banking register. It still needs to be fixed!
    edited November 2017
    Stan said:

From C. D. Bales:

"Semantics".

No, pertinent facts.

"I don't care whether an investment 'register' is not a 'register".

Then you shouldn't have asked the question, "Why is the Investment Register different?".

Actually, what you really appear not to care about are facts and reality - preferring to employ puffery while ignoring the facts, apparently under the false assumption that mis-stating/overstating the case will help get things changed.

You asked about the difference between investment accounts and non-investment accounts - and you got a factual answer, which also included other Information applicable to the overall subject, which you also appear to have ignored.

There is nothing to be "fixed" as nothing is broken: the decision to treat investment accounts differently than non-investment accounts was made consciously, intentionally, by Intuit over a decade ago (it was present in Q2004 - which was noted in the discussion you apparently ignored) - with all of the ramifications of that decision known by Intuit when they made the decision.

In fact, when the change was first made, investment accounts were much more restricted in their behavior than they are now. My guess is that Intuit/Quicken has already made the easier changes to investment "Transaction Lists" and are now left with the most difficult ones.

Decisions about whether to change something in Quicken including when/how to make the change, have to survive some sort of cost/benefit analysis. It matters how many users are affected and how adversely they are affected; how difficult/costly the change would be; and how many, and how difficult/important, other problems there are needing attention. There are lots of other users with problems/desires besides yours - and some of those other user problems/desires may have - probably have - a better cost/benefit ratio than investment account font changes.

I believe this community has a means to submit what amounts to a "request for change" to Quicken. I imagine you'll find your desire already in one or more such discussions, where you could cast your "vote". Or you could start your own such request.

Given reality, I don't see how your current approach can do anything to improve the odds you of seeing your desired change made - why not try just asking?
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser
    edited November 2017
    Did you look at the Register Row Height which does work in the Investment "Register"image
  • Mike SabotMike Sabot Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes, but that does nothing for the size of the font nor does it do anything for c contrast
  • StanStan Member
    edited November 2018

I have been using Quicken since 1991 and

faithfully upgrading every one or two years. I have 24 active accounts (+ many unused

accounts that are hidden), including 9 active investment accounts. During the

past 26 years I have not had a problem reading the information in the registers

until this week – when I upgraded from version 2016 to 2018!

You say “There is nothing to be "fixed" as nothing

is broken: the decision to treat investment accounts differently than

non-investment accounts was made consciously, intentionally, by Intuit over a

decade ago”. What has that got to do with the font problem that this message

thread is about? Maybe you have a monitor size that doesn’t exhibit the

problem, but there are customers that do have a legitimate problem.

You say “No, pertinent facts.” OK, let me give you facts.

Sometime between version 2016 and 2018 Quicken reduced the

font size used to display content in the account registers and the Accounts

side bar (there are complaints from 2017, so it may have been done in version

2017) – I suspect the algorithms for scaling fonts were modified. The result

for me and others is that it is now very hard to read the register contents. Partially

solving the problem, Quicken has provided a preference for increasing the font

size in the registers (Edit>>Preferences>>Register>>Register appearance>>Fonts)

where you can increase the size of the register font. I find I can increase the

size from 9pt to 10pt and that resolves my problem in Banking accounts and

Property & Debt Accounts. BUT, the font size change doesn’t affect

Investment accounts – leading one to ask why would Quicken provide a tool for

non-Investment accounts that doesn’t work for Investment accounts. Quicken also

has a preference for colors in the registers (Edit>>Preferences>>Register>>Register

appearance>>Colors). This preference works for all register types, Investment

accounts and non-Investment accounts – so why be different?

So, Quicken could help those users with this problem by

fixing what I feel is a bug (that the fonts preference isn’t changing an

Investment register font size). That would be a big step forward. But it doesn’t

solve the issue of the Accounts side bar which doesn’t have a preference. The Accounts

bar problem is not just that it has tiny text, it is compounded by the fact

that the text has less contrast and is more difficult for “old” eyes to read. For

this problem, maybe Quicken should add more granularity for the Use Large Fonts

option (View>>Use Large Fonts). What we have now is probably a 50% font

size increase of everything on the screen, which is far too much. If Quicken

offered a slider like in Excel where the user could select 110%, 120%, .. etc,

I think that would satisfy everyone needs for registers, the Accounts side bar,

and charts.
  • edited January 2018
    I was just about to quit using Quicken because of the investment tab font size. I had tried large fonts option but it did not work on my 19" normal format monitor. I bought a 24" wide screen monitor and the large font option in the VIEW tab now works for me.
  • edited January 2018

I was just about to quit using Quicken because of the investment tab font size. I had tried large fonts option but it did not work on my 19" normal format monitor. I bought a 24" wide screen monitor and the large font option in the VIEW tab now works for me.

I changed my mind after using the large fonts more -  they still don't work.
  • k7neyk7ney Member
    edited January 2018
    Stan said:

I have been using Quicken since 1991 and

faithfully upgrading every one or two years. I have 24 active accounts (+ many unused

accounts that are hidden), including 9 active investment accounts. During the

past 26 years I have not had a problem reading the information in the registers

until this week – when I upgraded from version 2016 to 2018!

You say “There is nothing to be "fixed" as nothing

is broken: the decision to treat investment accounts differently than

non-investment accounts was made consciously, intentionally, by Intuit over a

decade ago”. What has that got to do with the font problem that this message

thread is about? Maybe you have a monitor size that doesn’t exhibit the

problem, but there are customers that do have a legitimate problem.

You say “No, pertinent facts.” OK, let me give you facts.

Sometime between version 2016 and 2018 Quicken reduced the

font size used to display content in the account registers and the Accounts

side bar (there are complaints from 2017, so it may have been done in version

2017) – I suspect the algorithms for scaling fonts were modified. The result

for me and others is that it is now very hard to read the register contents. Partially

solving the problem, Quicken has provided a preference for increasing the font

size in the registers (Edit>>Preferences>>Register>>Register appearance>>Fonts)

where you can increase the size of the register font. I find I can increase the

size from 9pt to 10pt and that resolves my problem in Banking accounts and

Property & Debt Accounts. BUT, the font size change doesn’t affect

Investment accounts – leading one to ask why would Quicken provide a tool for

non-Investment accounts that doesn’t work for Investment accounts. Quicken also

has a preference for colors in the registers (Edit>>Preferences>>Register>>Register

appearance>>Colors). This preference works for all register types, Investment

accounts and non-Investment accounts – so why be different?

So, Quicken could help those users with this problem by

fixing what I feel is a bug (that the fonts preference isn’t changing an

Investment register font size). That would be a big step forward. But it doesn’t

solve the issue of the Accounts side bar which doesn’t have a preference. The Accounts

bar problem is not just that it has tiny text, it is compounded by the fact

that the text has less contrast and is more difficult for “old” eyes to read. For

this problem, maybe Quicken should add more granularity for the Use Large Fonts

option (View>>Use Large Fonts). What we have now is probably a 50% font

size increase of everything on the screen, which is far too much. If Quicken

offered a slider like in Excel where the user could select 110%, 120%, .. etc,

I think that would satisfy everyone needs for registers, the Accounts side bar,

and charts.

Well said, I have the same problem and would like some relief. Spent over an hour on the chat session with a support person who didn't even realize this was a problem and spent a lot of wasted time thinking it was my fault and trying to fix it.  You would think they would have told me that was they way it was supposed to work.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser
    edited November 2018
    This topic has been subject to a lot of discussion over the years, and Quicken has made a lot of changes (some might say improvements) to the handling of fonts and compatibility with various screen sizes and resolutions.

Have you tried changing the Windows font settings? In Win 10, right click on the desktop, pick Display settings, and set the font size there. On my desktop system it offers 100% (recommended), 125, and 150. On the laptop with a smaller screen it offers 100 and 125. This appears to make *everything* bigger so it may not be to your liking, but it may worth a try if you are having trouble seeing the smaller fonts.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Mary MessinaMary Messina Member
    edited January 2018
    I use the 150 setting on Windows, and it does not help with the contrast or font appearances within Investment accounts, the account sidebar, Property accounts or miscellaneous areas such as Download Transactions and Bill Reminders.     

I agree with the original premise of this chain - the application of font changes within the application is highly desirable.   I too am a long time Quicken user (easily 20 years). I also have a professional background in IT, and know updates need to be prioritized - a single release can never include all the problems and 'nice to haves'.   

That said, font and contrast issues, particularly when different accounts are treated 'differently' from a general display perspective should be reviewed and prioritized as needed. 
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member
    edited January 22
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quit treating investment list GUI behavior different from registers.

Make Quicken more user friendly.  Treat transaction list and register with similar GUI behavior when it comes to font setting, column width adjusting, vertical frame adjusting (like for the a vertically adjustable reminder section).  Don't make these transaction screens have different behavior especially with features lacking in the the investment lists.  Give them a consistent behavior throughout Quicken.  It just makes Quicken seem more complex and user-unfriendly when similar type screens such as investment list transaction detail and register transaction detail have inconsistent GUI behavior. 

Please don't just "fix" features by changing the Help screens to describe the different behavior of transaction list vs registers' GUI behavior.
    Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro
  • MickMick Member
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Investment Registers.

Agree!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quit treating investment list GUI behavior different from registers.
  • denmarfldenmarfl Member
    edited May 2018
    I have been evaluating Quicken for the past 5 years asking for a better and more improved Interface; Registers both Banking, etc and Investment that users can personalize.  Investment Registers to Select Font, text Size Bold, etc.  If you go out to the site where Quicken users can evaluate Quicken you will see the highest percentage of users completing the evaluation vote that the Interface needs to be improved. 5 years Plus and still nothing has been done to improve personalization of what we see when using Quicken but Quicken introduces new features that are worthless and do nothing but get in the way.  Its their thing to make users think something new and great was added to a new version which is a must so go out and buy the new version.  Nothing in as many years as I can remember has been added to Quicken that has made my experience using Quicken better.  You would think its harder to think of something new to add than to simply add features to personalize the Interface, what we see and how we see it.  Quicken has an older following; many like me go back to the 80"s...so lets face the truth, and so should Quicken, our eyes need help....Quicken you want me to continue to use this product, give me something I Need.

Now I have used Register Colors to at least inbed the Black text in a color as opposed to the white background which does make the black text pop out a little better.  

Quicken LISTEN to your BASE.....
  • Gary WynnGary Wynn Member
    edited November 2018
    Stan said:

Some day the Quicken developers will get old, then maybe it will get fixed.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited November 2018
    Stan said:

Gary Wynn  :-)

The truth is that as they get older they will go on to other projects, and new developers (young ones) will be hired.
  • Mike SabotMike Sabot Member
    edited November 2018
    More than a year latter, a new version, 2019 and the suggestion still remains unfulfilled
  • WDWD Member
    edited December 2018
    I would like to add my "vote" for a more customizable investment register. Why can't we have the same options available for other accounts?  Why make little changes no one asks for when many people have over years for readable investment registers? 
  • Rich SRich S Member
    edited January 26
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow investment font to change just like bank register fonts.

Quicken 2019 Windows - Add an option to the register for Investment fonts to have them sized just like the bank fonts.  Or else, remove the font sizing from register and just add overall font options for the product, small, medium, and large. Monitors and resolutions are getting bigger, fonts getting smaller as a result and some of us strain to read the small fonts.