Quicken for Chrome OS (10 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @WinLundy I suggest that you lobby in the Simplify forum for what you want.  That is in fact "total rewrite" and clearly where Quicken Inc is putting their efforts for "cloud based personal finance solutions".

Quicken Desktop (even with the Web/Mobile app) is exactly what the majority of these users want.  This way of thinking might die off in the future, but right now not only would it be years of development, the majority of the current Quicken users would shun it.  That doesn't make any good business sense to pursue.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • WinLundy
    WinLundy Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I don't understand why Quicken Cloud-Based can't be the third option alongside MAC and PC. Most business finance software offers at least 2 options for implementation: Self-hosted (local machine) and Cloud-based.

I'm looking for the Home and Business version of Quicken, and Simplifi just ain't it. It doesn't have the Tax Planner, Customer Invoicing, Investments, Debt Reduction Tool, etc. (do I need to go on?) Simplifi is just an amped-up version of Mint without the ads, which wishes it could be Quicken.

The topic says Quicken for Chrome OS. I'm pretty sure this is the forum I'm looking for.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22
    @WinLundy the reason I suggested that you lobby Simplifi is believe or not, it "closer" to what you want than Quicken Desktop.  They at least have the starting of a personal finance program that is cloud based.  Quicken Desktop on the other hand would have to start from scratch.  There would be basically nothing in Quicken Desktop they could use for such a product.  EDIT of course Quicken Desktop Home and Business could be used as a "model", but that goes for any one that wants to create such a piece of software.  There isn't any code or even the GUI design wouldn't really fit because of the different APIs and such.

Signature:
  • WinLundy
    WinLundy Member ✭✭
    edited March 23
    @Chris_QPW The current Quicken on the Web GUI is the start for the Chrome/ cloud-based product. It appears to me that Simplfi borrowed generously from the Quicken on the Web style sheets. That's not starting from scratch. Most of the development lift for a ChromeOS Quicken is many various set-up screens, dialogs, and sub-menus that would have to be replicated online. One API would be eliminated altogether- the exchange between the quicken web and the local machine, no need to keep 2 sets of data synced. Reports (most likely SQL on the machine) could be transitioned to a web-based report service with export functionality that is used throughout the web.

I just don't get the sense the Simplifi (that's a branding cue) is ever intended to get the heft and depth of Quicken. Simplifi is marketed to people who want to "Stay on top of your money the SIMPLE way." That is the opposite of Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23
    @WinLundy Let's be frank about it.  I suggested lobbying Simplifi not because I think they would do it, but more because they are "farther along".  Personally I don't think you will see what you want in my lifetime.  You are way under estimating what needs to be done, and over estimating the demand for such a product.

They started rewriting Quicken Mac in 2007 and to this day it hasn't even hit parity with Quicken Windows Deluxe.  Developing on "the web" is in fact harder because the Desktop APIs are much more developed than the Web APIs.  But even if they are equal the work is far above what you believe.  Note that one of the most popular suggestions for Quicken Mac is a Home & Business version.  And if that ever happens it probably years into the future.

On the other hand when you look into the "small business software" there are many different software packages out there.  So you are asking for a select group of consumers that wan to merge their home and business, not just run a business.  This narrows the demand tremendously.

EDIT:
    And one more thing.  Simplifi is as you pointed out is leveraging of what was already in "Quicken Web" and building on it.  I find it highly unlikely that Quicken Inc is going to start yet another separate such project to do Home & Business.  There certainly could be "parallel development" as they expand the what Quicken Web syncs/can do which is right up the alley of what people have requested.  And then that could be migrated into Simplifi for the "cloud only" crowd.  It don't see any conflict in that at all.  Just because the name is Simplifi doesn't mean they can't rebrand it when it gets more features.  The Quicken Mac rewrite started as Quicken Essentials for Mac because it lack tons of features, and when they got it back to a point where is was closer in features the changed the name to back Quicken Mac.

And I believe you are wrong about this statement too:
    WinLundy said:
    Simplifi is marketed to people who want to "Stay on top of your money the SIMPLE way." That is the opposite of Quicken.
    Go look at the advertising for Quicken. It states that you can get up and running in like 15 minutes.  Well we all know that isn't true, but they certainly aren't billing Quicken as "the complicated way to do your personal finances".  It is all just marketing, and can be change in day to a different word or phrase.
    Signature:
  • WinLundy
    WinLundy Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW you are making an apples-to-oranges comparison when you discuss the time to develop an application for Mac vs PC and desktop vs. cloud.

Developing for the web is not any harder than the desktop, it's a matter of what you feel comfortable with. A matter of preference and experience.

You don't know what my estimation is of the work it will take to shift to the cloud. What this work is, is an investment in the right expertise to do it. It's not mission impossible and successful business platforms are drawing further away from the desktop, every day. The global reality is that there is a lot more cloud application development than desktop. Why? Because it's platform agnostic.

So that kinda turns your argument upside down- when Quicken develops Home & Business for the cloud . . . the need for H&B on Mac will be satisfied, right? You can still manually update your transactions if you want . . .

Concerning the "overestimated" demand- maybe you're not aware of this, but there are many self-employed business owners who would use Quicken because it can help estimate self-employment taxes for users with W-2 and 1099 income. This demand is expanding as people have a side job and their regular job, NOT narrowing. And there are other cloud-based solutions out there. I've tried many of them, I think none are as good as Quicken.

I don't need to "look at the marketing for Quicken," I already know it. It's sold as a full-featured software with added functionality at every tier, it's comprehensive, not simple. Regardless of how long it takes to set up.

Simplifi is not comprehensive, it's a simple, one product fits all software, just like it says in the marketing. That's why Simplifi won't be branded as a full-featured solution.

I don't know how old you are, but not seeing further development on this (by Quicken Inc) in your lifetime, sounds like a bummer.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @WinLundy I guess time will tell who have the better handle on what is going to happen.  I wish you luck.  You are certainly going to need it.
    Signature:
  • Caribconsult
    Caribconsult Member ✭✭
    So from reading all these comments, is it fair to say that there is no quicken option that runs correctly on a chromebook? Just a yes or no, please, not an explanation of the benefits or drawbacks to any particular OS. Thanks to any who answer
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    So from reading all these comments, is it fair to say that there is no quicken option that runs correctly on a chromebook? Just a yes or no, please, not an explanation of the benefits or drawbacks to any particular OS. Thanks to any who answer
    NO..
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Caribconsult
    Caribconsult Member ✭✭
    TO SPLASHER: So what does work with the Chromebook?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Caribconsult
    I have no idea, I don't own a Chromebook.  Quicken runs on Windows 10 and Mac.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list